Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Reheated chicken twice- pls help

My friend had bought some chicken legs/wings pre-cooked from the supermarket, and she reheated it to eat once back home. It was out for a few hours, then placed in the fridge. I had then taken it out 1 or 2 hours after that and heated the chicken up, properly to eat. Now usually I wouldnt do this but I was very hungry and I thought seeing as the chicken was probably cooked that day there wouldnt have been time for bacteria to grow alot- and if I reheated it well thenwhatever bacteria had grow would get killed.

Now i'm worried as everywhere I read it says its not good to reheat twice... and the chicne was out for a few hours aswell. Should I be worried? I'm sure my friend would have eaten the chicken herself and she never gets food poisoning because she has good sense when it comes to food so I trusted her judgment at the time... now i'm wondering whether I'll regret it.. :S

Please help as soon as you can.

Default Re: Reheated chicken twice- pls help

I make it a rule never to re-heat chicken twice. I have bought chicken from the store before and I will bring it home and just re-heat the portion I'm going to eat at the moement and leave the rest in the fridge, then the next day I can re-heat the chicken that was in the fridge as that would technacially be the first reheat. I would never buy it from the store and heat it all up then put the left overs in the fridge and reheat those again to eat.

But I have heard of friends of mine doig this and I never heard them tell me that they've been sick from it so I guess technically it's ok but I was taught by my mom not to do it and I always go by the philosophy better safe than sorry. I also try not to leave meat out longer than half and hour if possible ...but again I knwo people who leave their stuff out for hours and never have a problem so hence why I'm a mysophobic and emetophobic.

I think you will be fine but If you aren't quite sure then better safe than sorry and better to throw it out and eat something else than to eat it and worry about it all night.

Thank you for your post.

Yes it was also a rule I also used, but sometimes for the sake of convenience I thought the risk needed to be taken, and I personally didn't think it was a big risk at the time because the chicken was cooked that day. Its been 24 hours now and I seem okay... would I have had symptoms by now if I was going to be ill? Ive only had food poisoning once in my life and my symptoms came about an hour or two later. Everyone says I would have had symptoms by now...

If it's been 24 hours and you've had no symptoms, I think you're good, Curious!