Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
    Germany (since 2009) United States (March 11th!)

Default Is there anybody in your life who is very supportive of you in this?

I've read things on here about being misunderstood, made fun of, etc, because of emetophobia. But is there anyone in your life who is supportive and comforting? And I'm not talking about anyone on here.

The sv* has been going around where I live, and so I've been very worried lately. I was kind of offish with my boyfriend the other day because of it, and I apologized and told him what was up.

To him being sick is just... whatever... not a big deal (in fact he has a sv* currently). But he was very comforting. He tried everything possible to make me smile, and told me if I do get sick he'll be right there with me (even though he's thousands of miles away right now ). I'm very glad to have someone NOT tell me to just get over it and that I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

Does anyone here have someone like that?

Default Re: Is there anybody in your life who is very supportive of you in this?

My best friend has anxiety about some other things so we try to help each other a lot. She sort of knows I have emet but she doesn't know the extent of it. I've noticed that recently she has started use abbriviation (v*) when she is texting me and when she got the stomach bug she apologized for telling me saying that she knows that it freaks me out so she has picked up on my behaviors and tried to help. She completely knowns what its like to be anxious but I can see the confusion in her face when I try and explain emet.

Default Re: Is there anybody in your life who is very supportive of you in this?

My cousin is just like me. She doesnt have the exact same phobias and is fine with v* but she has OCD and other even weirder fears than me and we just support one another with no judgement.

I have had a couple of supportive boyfriends and my two best friends are pretty supportive too so I'm pretty lucky I guess. My mum has been a rock since my emet started as a kid, but she has given me a lot of tough love too so she never always felt like the safest person to talk to. But I think its easier to support an emet you dont literally need to support 24/7 and at one point my mum was doing that for me bless her.

I really hope most of us have someone to support us in life with this as we all need a hug and reassurance sometimes.

My boyfriend and his sister are the only 2 people that know about my emet, and they're both pretty good. Like Mark will hold my hand if I'm anxious, or change the TV if something nasty comes on. And his sister didn't mind me running away when the little one v'ed everywhere.

My Husband is awsome. He warns me if something gross is on tv. And he tries to sheild me from vomit at all costs. He is just amazing. His kids are the same way with me. The 14 year old boy will tell me to look away or close my eyes. We watched a movie (don't remember what one) But he had allready seen it. Told me when the part was coming and told me when it was over. He even muted the tv. So Sweet.

My husband is great for that too. He has gotten a bit on edge with me when I obsess about v* in movies but when it comes to me being fearful of catching sv* or best before dates, or panic attacks he is very supportive and has even stayed up with me in the middle of the night during a panic attack.

It's great that you have someone to support u it's tough when there are people who tell you to just get over it that never helps but always makes the situation worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My boyfriend vacillates between being very sweet and considerate to getting annoyed with me. He complained that his stomach hurt recently, and I refused to kiss him, which made him mad. One time I was feeling sick, and I told him not to come over (I like to be alone). He didn't like that either. He wanted to be there for me, and I wouldn't let him. My parents know to just leave me alone. I wish he understood better, but I'm sure from the outside I look like a crazy person. Lol. But, we all have our quirks.

My mom always is there for me. She may live 2 hours away, but I call her when Im nervous, and she always calms me down. I think this is because she suffered from emet. also, and understands exactly how I feel.

My friends and family have always been supportive for me. Iam how ever in a somwhat new relationship. We've been dating for about 3 and a half months so far. I warned him about my phobia and he kind of got a preview of what to expect. He got sick just a month into our relationship and he knew i freaked out about puking and stomach bugs so he made me leave because he didnt want me to get sick. Only thing is after he made me leave, I didnt want to go back to his house for a week to make sure it was out of his house, neither me nor him liked that at all. i didnt like being away from him and he missed me like 4 or 5 days after he got sick. He sounded like he was a little bothered by not seeing me, but reguardless of my fear, I still went to see my baby before the whole week was up, so hopefully my love for him will overpower my fear, doubt it, but Im still hoping.

Thumbs up Re: Is there anybody in your life who is very supportive of you in this?

Quote Originally Posted by stefanie View Post
    My husband... is very supportive and has even stayed up with me in the middle of the night during a panic attack.

It's great that you have someone to support u it's tough when there are people who tell you to just get over it that never helps but always makes the situation worse.
    That's sweet. Yes, it is very great to have even one supportive person in your life. Some people think my fears are ridiculous. Some know but don't think much of them. So far I only have one person who is there for me when I need them. But, it's better than no one!
    "I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains" (Anne Frank).

I think your`e all so lucky to have such supportive people in your lives. Most of the people I`ve known couldn`t care less about vting in front of me, or worry about giving their illness to others.

My husband is so supportive of my emet! I am honestly so grateful, as there has been many nights that he has stayed up with me all hours rubbing my shoulders as I fought through one. He will even get ice chips and rub them on my face and my skin as I am trying to deep breath (helps take my mind off of the obsession and fear in the midst of my panic). He will also reassure me that I am going to be fine (which is so huge for me), and reminds me that this is going to pass just as it always does.

I do not know what I would do with out this man!!!

Thumbs up Re: Is there anybody in your life who is very supportive of you in this?

Quote Originally Posted by asquared View Post
    My husband is so supportive of my emet! I am honestly so grateful, as there has been many nights that he has stayed up with me all hours rubbing my shoulders as I fought through one. He will even get ice chips and rub them on my face and my skin as I am trying to deep breath (helps take my mind off of the obsession and fear in the midst of my panic). He will also reassure me that I am going to be fine (which is so huge for me), and reminds me that this is going to pass just as it always does.

I do not know what I would do with out this man!!!
    That is wonderful! Very sweet.
    "I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains" (Anne Frank).

My boyfriend is very supportive of me, hes always looking out for me with my phobia, and praises me when i do well with it. im lucky to have him, as he understands the best out of all of the people who know me. My mum understands alot better now that im older, i used to make sure she told everyone she knew about my phobia so that if anyone was ill they wouldnt come near me, i made my phobia well known which oftern backfired on me when i was at school, i got highly picked on. so yeah everyone who knows me know i have this phobia and the people who i care about the most understand or at least try too. my brothers have never really understood...they oftern "forget" that i have it... hmmm, anyhoo im glad my mum and boyfriend understand

I just admitted to my new girlfriend of 5 months that I was emetophobic and had problems with anxiety. She knew I felt sick a lot, and she never complained, but I felt very nervous about telling her this. It's been my general experience to be considered seriously strange for being emetophobic, and I was worried about telling her because, to be honest, she's probably the best thing that's happened to me in years. She was so chill about it though, saying that she can relate and understand that feeling, although definitely a much lesser extent; and she very casually told me that it made no difference to her whether or not I was anxious, she didn't think of me any differently.

She is the third person I've ever openly talked about it to before, and she was more accepting than even my Mom about it. She just wants me to feel better.

My boyfriend is the only person in my life who knows about the level I am at with my Emetophobia and has only found out recently after being together for 3 years. He is completely supportive and tries to understand to the best of his non-emet ability, haha. A lot of my friends and family know that it makes me squeemish and just think I am a bit of a germaphobe, but they don't know to what degree its at. They just wouldn't understand, so I don't bother airing it out to them.

My boyfriend as well alternates. He gets annoyed when I'm germaphobic in the kitchen (like requiring he use a fork to get a pickle out of the jar) but at the same time he said if I ever wake up in the middle of the night scared or sick, I can wake him up and he'll be comforting. He's very sweet about that part. For instance when I drank too much last year, he held my hand and stroked my hair while I was actually getting sick and went to three different stores collecting every remedy for nausea he could (cola, ginger, crackers, etc...). He even said he'd be willing to kiss me knowing if I was contagious with a sv (I guess it's really not that big a deal to most). But when it comes to the phobia part, I feel totally alone.

My mom doesn't even try. She says I need to grow up and deal with it.

My dad, and my boyfriend help me out the most.
    - My dad is a recovered Emet, he knows me inside and out. He helped me relax, calmed me down. & He always offered the best support and advice. My boyfriend, is understanding, we I used to panic, he'd turn of his xbox, sit me down, he has a little sofa in his room, and he strokes my hair, cuddles me and wiped the tears, and helped me breath, then eventually he'd say stuff to make me laugh! Even tho he never understood why I was having these attacks, or why for that matter, he still helped. They are both life savers. I couldnt ask for anyone better to help me.
    And Person54321my mum is exactly the same, and my sister, they believe it was all for attention.
    ​The best is yet to come....

I haven't told anyone about it. I think my Dad would understand because I suspect that he is emet too. My twin sister has severe anxiety and OCD, so I know that she would understand also, but she worries about me so much (she worries everytime I am unhappy, stressed about school - everything!) and I don't want her to worry about it. So for now I'm a closet emet haha!

My boyfriend of 4 years has been VERY supportive of me. Here lately my emetophobia has gotten out of control. I have anxiety attacks, take endless amounts of antinausea medications, refuse to eat at times, and constantly be extremely picky about what I eat. He has noticed how bad it has gotten and recently told me I needed help. He opened my eyes about my worsening problems and has shown me that it doesn't have to be like this. It is because of him that I am on this forum now and seeking help. I will forever be grateful for that. I mean it has gotten so bad that I am becoming anorexic. I have lost 7 pounds in two weeks. That is ridiculous. So he brought it to my attention. He has even told me that he will go to therapy with me so I don't have to go alone, but I would rather be alone despite the fact of how nice that is. I think it helps to have someone there to understand how hard this is. I hope you all have a support system to help you through this.

People in my life used to be very supportive of me, my anxiety and my phobia. But lately, it seems that all I do is annoy them. My boyfriend has told me he's getting frustrated with my "complaining", my mom just gets aggravated everytime I call her for support because she doesn't know what to say to me anymore and none of my friends understand in the slightest bit.

Thank god for this website though! There were days I thought my life would be over if I didn't have a place to vent and coming here has showed me that there is someone out there who will support me and does care, even if they are half-way across the world!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

My husband is the only person IRL who knows about it, and he's awesome for the most part. I mean, sometimes he says dumb stuff unintentionally and I'll just say "NOT HELPING!!" and he feels bad, but overall, he's really supportive and understands when I'm freaking out and has gone out late at night to get new batteries for my relief band when it's died at an inopportune time, and is good if I say I need to be alone, he'll go upstairs and let me calm down alone a while. And times where I've been in the hospital for tests and stuff he stands around and demands anti-emetics when I wake up from sedation and has chased down my doctor in the hallway when the nurse refused since HE said I could have them. Haha.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I have been dealing with Emetophobia for years now!! During the last several years I have been with people that aren't very supportive of my phobia. They told me to just grow up and get over it, and tell me I am over reacting, I am a big baby, and I will never find anyone that would want to be with me, because I have this phobia.

Well, so much they know, because 4 years ago I met my husband. At first, he thought I was exaggerating a little. He was like, "I have never met anyone like that, are you sure thats what you are?" Well, then he ended up being around me while I had one of my attacks. I don't remember how it came on, I think I just had this weird pain in my stomach and automatically thought I was going to be sick. To my surprise, he was right there with me. Talking to me calmly, telling me everything was going to be okay, and that I most likely won't get sick, but if I do, then thats a good thing cause that means my body is doing what it has to do to make me feel better.

Four years later, and he is still like that. Like we have this thing, if I end up freaking out about my stomach for whatever reason, we actually have a routine that we do, that calms me down quickly - The routine is..

Step 1) I freak out BAD. I think I am going to be sick, I start having my anxiety attack, I pace back and forth. Depending on the severity of it, I may go to the bathroom and get in position as if I was going to V*.

Step 2) He keeps telling me I am okay, and that I am not going to get sick. I respond, "How do you know? How sure are you?" And his response is, "I am 99.9% sure that you will not get sick, and the only reason why I am not 100% sure is because I am not God." Sounds kind of cheesy I know, but hey it makes me feel better, it seems to put a smile on my face.

Step 3) Because I know that with an illness 9 times out of 10 there will be a fever, it may just be a low grade fever, but its a fever. So I check my temp, and I check it in my mouth because that is the most accurate temp.

Step 4) He goes and grabs me an ice pack to lay on my stomach. Something about the coldnes from the pack, calms me down. I think its the fact that it numbs it, so I don't feel it. Heck, I don't know. Its just something that he gets me to put on my stomach right before I go to sleep. In fact, usually I fall asleep with the ice pack still on my stomach.

Step 5) Once the ice pack is on my stomach, if I end up having a bad anxiety attack, then he will lay in bed with me, talk to me to keep my mind off of everything, try to give me my medicine (which is a challenge in itself), and then he colors with me till I fall asleep.

Steps 1 through 4, takes about 20 minutes. Step 5, varies. It has lasted as long as 2 hours before, but that is the longest it has ever lasted.

Before I met my husband, I never had any support over this, except from my parents and brothers. But boyfriends broke up with me because of it, and I was actually convinced that I was never going to meet anyone. Well, God had something else planned for me.

i have one friend who is very supportive. he is always understanding and does what he can to protect me. i don'tlike him like that, but i do care about him as a friend and he does the same.

My boyfriend is hands down the most supportive person in this battle.

1)When I was more sensitive, he would pre-screen movies for me to let me know if they were safe. When we watch TV shows and films he has the remote nearby to mute it (even if I tell him I'm okay for that moment).

2) He brought me to my hypnotherapy appointments and waited the hour nearby for me in case I needed him. These appointments were over an hour from our house.

3) He stopped drinking to the drunk point because he knows how bad it freaks me out. He actually asks me if he can have another beer when we are at restaurants.

4) If I don't feel well he'll lightly rub my tummy.

5) When I had a bad reaction to my medication, he woke up from a dead sleep to come rub my back and tell me I'll be okay while I was sick. When I had a 24 hour illness he waited outside the door to give me a hug every time.

There are other things he does but I can't remember them all now. I'm spoiled rotten!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

My best friend.

My family is a throng of unsupportive pigs.

My friends don't really care of my fear, if someone is going to be sick - they always tell me to look away. I'm trying to overcome my fear, it's getting better, but still slightly there. When my best friend was ill, I couldn't talk to her, so she brought my parents and I - flowers. So we managed to sort things out, she is supportive of me. So is my family, but the fear isn't taking over my life.

For me it's frustrating because my family and friends just don't understand. My family tells me to get over it, and my friends think it makes no sense and make fun of me for it. I just wish I had a friend who supported me with this!

My boyfriend doesn't really understand it but he doesn't make fun of me so much. He knows I have a good sense of humor and really don't take a joke seriously. So when he makes fun of me I just laugh because I know he doesn't mean any harm. He's also learning that when I feel sickI want to be left alone to perform my rituals. He doesn't like it. Not because I push him away during that time but because he feels bad (Like it's his fault) that he can't make me feel any better. But he understands my reasons and is trying to learn how to deal with them.

My best friend Ryan is also someone who understands. I've been friends with him before I can remember and he's so wonderful. Just the other night I was having a really bad attack and swore up and down I was getting sick. What does he do? He takes off work, goes out, spends 100 dollars on a hotel room at 2 in the morning and comes and gets me while i'm freaking out. Then just layed in bed and cuddled and watched my favorite movie with me until I calmed down. Which doesn't make much sense since I can't even cuddle with my own boyfriend at that time.. Perhaps it's because I've known Ryan longer and he's actually been with me when I v*. he just put one hand on my back and held my hair back with the other. I'm pretty sure I'd be lost without him.