Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OT: Fundraising

Default OT: Fundraising

Hey guys!

So, soon I'm auditioning for a show, we're doing Beauty and the Beast, and I'm going for Belle, which I think I have a big chance of getting, but if I don't get that, I think I will have some part, and if I don't, I'm going to do backstage work again, like last year. There's awards handed out at the end of the year, and one of the most prestigious ones is the Director's Award, and I've come SO close to winning it three years in a row, but I never have.

I think I need to get my butt into gear, and get some fundraising done, because that's one of the main things that the award rests on, plus, the company is an amateur company and the only funding we get is from ticket sales, but we don't get ticket sales without a show, really, and we need the money to make the show. Vicious circle. The thing is, I have no ideas, I'm making a quilt at the moment, and I'm going to sell it on Etsy, but it's not very good, so I don't think it'll get much. We already do a chocolate drive, so I can't do another of those.

I need some more fundraising ideas, can anyone help me? ANY suggestions would be amazing!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Erin xx

Default Re: OT: Fundraising

sounds amazing!! have you ever thought of an auction? go to local shops and ask for donations of goods or gift certificates then you can auction them off.......you'd be surprised how many places will donate things.
    or what about a garage/yard sale? you can also get donations of items to sell from friends and neighbors.....you can also have a bake sale at the yard sale.......

good luck
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That sounds awesome!!! I was very involved in the music department at our high school, and we did lots of fundraising. These are the top ways we made money.

Candy Bars (Hebert)
    Coffee Cakes
    Bake Sales

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

I'm thinking I'm going to have a bake sale, but there are some crazy laws about that kind of thing in the council where the theatre is, so I'll have to see. I'm also thinking a theatre themed costume party, where there's a gold coin donation for entry fee, and maybe i could have the auction AT the costume party. They also have a trivia night every year, so that'll raise funds. I've realised I've got enough fabric for about another five quilts, and they're just really quick one's so I might make some more of those.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! They're really helpful!

Don't forget that wall hanging quilts, baby quilts, and lap quilts are very popular too. They are also less expensive, so people might be more likely to buy those than they would be a full sized quilt. Plus with a lap quilt, they don't run into the problem that their bed is king sized and the quilt is queen sized, and such. Also, table runners and matching place mats are popular at the arts and craft shows I've been to.

Also, I would not sell the full sized quilt if I were you. I would hold a raffle. Sell tickets for it for $3-$5 each with a slight discount if they buy 5 tickets. That is what the church that my mom goes to does, and they get sooo many people buying tickets. Quilts are beautiful, but they are pricey. I think that people would be more willing to throw some cash in at an attempt to get something beautiful and unique for their home (while helping a good cause and promoting the arts) than to fork over a lot of cash for one quilt. If your goal is say, $500 it would be easier to sell 100 tickets at $5 each than to sell one amazing quilt for $500 (which from your post seems that you aren't there yet, neither am I for that matter!), or 5 quilts for $100 each. You could even have the drawing at the party!

On a side note, I'm glad to see that more people on this site quilt! Are you just starting out? Do you have pictures of the quilts you've done? Sorry about the harassment, I just find so few other people who quilt.

This is my first one, actually. I'm keeping the first one, and then I'm going to do one that's a bit more even, plus, I think the first is going to be sentimental :P My mum is actually the quilter in the family and I wanted to give it a shot. She's made some GORGEOUS quilts, I'll try and get photos soon How about you?

The raffle is a good idea, actually When/if I get in (I'm pretty sure I'll get in, even if it's just a small part) I'm going to talk to the director about fundraising ideas and stuff Thanks for the idea's, they're awesome guys, keep them coming

Oh, I had another idea. I LOVE to read, so I'm going to have a read-a-thon, because I read fairly fast and people can sponsor me per book Yay

Another two thoughts. Just wondering what you guys think of these.

I read in a book about having a car wash, only charging a tiny amount for a car wash (a couple of dollars...) but then getting people in the cast to get sponsors to sponsor us for washing the cars. Like, they could pledge $1 per car, so for every 10 cars we washed, that'd be 10 dollars. Also, we could have a bake sale running at the same time.

Another idea was a garage sale where everyone brings in unwanted stuff and we use the theatre, almost like a market, and have a sausage sizzle or something at the same time.

What do you think?