Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Therapy?

Default Therapy?

I recently started therapy. I told my therapist I have emetophobia. She had no idea what I was talking about. I printed out information about it from this site and gave it to her. She glanced at it and handed back. She doesn't take me seriously. She is totally textbook, you're messed up, it must be you parents fault.

The state pays for my therapy so I'm not sure I can change therapists. I feel like I'm wasting my time. My boyfriend says I should keep going and maybe she'll stumble onto something that will help me. What do you think?

Default Re: Therapy?

I saw a therapist for the first time yesturday and didn't think that she would understand emet as a lot of people don't butr she was really understanding and has worked with people with this phobia! I saw a male therapist about 4 years ago went twice and didn't feel like he understood and wasn't helping me at all the therapist I saw yesturday said that I should have said something even though you are not paying it is important that you feel comfortable with the person you are talking to otherwise there is no point! I would speak to someone and see if there is anything they can do! How are you coping with your emet at the moment? If you need a chat I am here!

Isn't it great when a licensed educated therapist has NEVER heard of this??? I cannot believe it!! I would maybe see if you can switch therapists, or at least make her realize that this is real to you and that is what you need help for!! Good luck.

I didn't have conventional therapy, instead I did hypnosis. But I strongly feel that regardless of the style you choose, you should be comfortable with your therapist, and your therapist should try to understand you. Mine went out of his way to learn about emetophobia before our sessions, and to find out what else stresses me out. We worked together and enjoyed one another's company as part of the sessions. I really think having a strong bond with your therapist is crucial.

In short. I would see what you can do to get another therapist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you feel as if your therapist is not listening to you, find one that will. She can't help you if she doesn't take you seriously. My counselor didn't know much about emetophobia, but she wants to learn. I almost always leave her office feeling better than when I went in. You have to find the right person for you.