Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Did i 'catch' this phobia from my mum?

My mum has the same phobia she has since she got poisoned when she was in her 20s by chicken (strict vegiterian now) she still cooks meat and she is the only person i really trust cooking as emet sufferers are overly hygienic and cook things thoroughly..
    But any way i have been thinking that as my mum has this phobia does this mean i inherited it form her?
    Being young i dont remember her freaking out too much when any of us got a sv*.. i just remember she would stand there and ask 5 or 6 times are you going to be s* are you going to be s* until she would actually make me v*.. and ithink maybe this is where i got it from?
    I have a brother and sister and neither of them are the least bit bothered by v* they drink eat out they will even cook something and i will ask is that cooked properly they will shrug and eat it anyway!!
    My mum is adamant she never shown her fears to us as children she also has an extreme phobia of spiders which i also have so im thinking is it from her or is it coincidence?
    I think my mum has got better as she has got older she is 59 now but she still gets stressed over it but if she is talking to someone and they say anything about v*ing she will look over at me to see if i have heard she trys to protect me from hearing it !
    so i was just wondering if any of you have any members of family with this or have kids where you can see them following your traits?

Default Re: Did i 'catch' this phobia from my mum?

that's what i used to think too until I found an article that said otherwise, my mom dosent have it or anyone else in my family i'm the only one, and for me it started when i had a traumatic experiance with it as a kid i wont go into detail but it was pretty traumatic, I will have to give you a link to the website but its not inherited i think that as a child if you are shown to be scared of it then you will be scared but you said your mom had never shown you guys fear so that's good maybe you just had a traumatic experiance with it as a child that's my best bet

I definitely think it could have impacted on your emetophobia. Although she may not have shown her fears, the repetitive questioning and obvious discomfort she showed when you were younger probably had the potential to cause you to follow similar traits. I have the same as I seemed to have 'caught' it off my older brother who similarly became very paranoid but not necessarily showed his fear when I was ill as a child.
    Susie

I think my emet stemmed from my own mothers fear of v*. I do remember her panicking when my older sister got sick when I was 3. I got really upset cos she was freaking out and calling for my dad to come and look after my poor sister! On the other hand my older sister is completely fine with v*. Anyway I have my own daughter now and when she was small I made sure to hide my anxiety whenever she got sick just in case. Thankfully she is 19 now and is nothing like me when it comes to v*. In fact she thinks Im crazy!!