Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: little update

hey everyone,
    i know i havent been around for a few weeks. i have been poppin in and reading now and again. just havent had time to post lately. ive been feeling a bit pants lately - what with therapy not going well at all and having to try and think about stopping effexor again.

and now im worried - coz last time i stopped, i was really ill (v*) and i thought it must be a bug really. but the doc said yesterday that opening the modified releae capsules and just taking out X amount = i am taking out diff sizes of the little grains. And this was going on another docs advice!!! they are c**p - f**ckin c**P. ANyway - so now im scared to stop the meds. im scared to get therapy. and im thinking irrational again.

im trying to be positive and keep my head up. but every so often i think 'why'? what is this all for. why dont i just give up. lifes crap.

ems x

hey there - its hard to stay positive when u want to come off your meds but you know it could lead to your worst fear, thats a very tricky decision! however, i think this is one of those times when u need to be so brave and do wat will be best for you in the long run, if you follow your doctors advice to reduce the risk of vomiting when u come off your meds you should be okay. however, if u do end up becoming ill because of it, i would try to treat it as an empowering time; okay so you got sick because you wer coming off your meds, but atleast the reason u got sick was a good one, u managed to free yourself from your meds, tell yourself that this time around the getting ill is a good thing and getting ill this time could even help u to be less afraid, like it did for me last week! the most important thing is to stay positive, the minute u allow yourself to think negative things is the minute you'll start to go down. if u get sumthin negative in your head such as 'im gunna vomit if i come off these meds' squash it with thoughts such as 'but this is a good thing, im going to be ill for a reason that is GOOD for me in the long wrong, and maybe i wont be as afraid as i think, last time was a coincidence and it was a bug that made me ill not the meds' or sumthin else along those lines that will help u !
    i hope this helped u in some way, good luck with whatever decision u decide to make! and remember, you're never alone!!
    xxxxxxxx
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

Hey, Emma, good to see you! I'm sorry you're having a tough time right now. I dont' really know anything about meds but would it be possible to ask the doctor for an anti-emetic or something that you could take if you did start feeling sick while coming off of them? Does the doctor know that you have emet?

Anyhow, I hope you start feeling better about things soon. Like Faith-Marilyn said it is hard to be positive when everything seems to be going wrong but you are a strong person and have fought your way out of this emet trap before and you will do it again, even if it doesnt' feel that way. Plus you ALWAYS have us for an open ear or some calming words. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Take care and keep us posted!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I was on effexor a few years ago and when I stopped, although my doctor told me I could go from 150mg to 75 to nothing, but that wasn't going to happen, I was so dizzy, had diarhea, etc. so I ended up taking out one bead a day out of those capsules. It took a good 2 months to be done and I had about 2 weeks of hell after that, but if you go super slow, it isn't as bad. I know after you have one experience you think you'll have that same experience given the same situation, but really, taking out one more bead each day does make it do-able. You'll still be dizzy and get those zaps, but anything's better than the v*ing.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Hi everyone what is effexcer

Hello! Nice to see ya again! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Hey, you know, maybe your doc can put you on something else (antidepressant) while stopping your other meds, so you don't have to take beads out.

When I got off of Lexapro, my doc said not to stop "cold turkey", so he put me on a really low dose of paxil, and I took them both together for a few weeks, then I stopped Lexapro, and paxil picked up the slack so I wouldn't go through withdrawl. If you are getting off for good, then maybe your doc can pick a different med that you can wean off of easier. Good luck and keep us posted!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

hey evryone - thanks for your kind words.

snowangel - effexor is an antidepressant/GAD drug.

i try to be positive but guys, do u really honestly believe we can EVER get over this? honestly, can u ever see yourself living without emet? its been with me for 20+ years now so i just cant imagine what living without it will feel like....

OK so day one of effexor withdrawal - i have taken 1 and 1/2 of the 37.5mg tablets - i am to take a 75mg capsule tonight - 12 hours between. i am so scared guys - and feel so 'tuned' in to all my feelings in my body....im so so scared that tonight i will end up feeling sick - lik i did in december.

Jo - i tried taking the beads out - but coz they are different sizes i think this affected the release times...so that night i was so ill. it knocked me out for 3 days. but the things is i cant be sure if i had a bug or it was coz i halved the capsules that day. u said u had diarrohea...i did too - for 2 days. and i was heaving so badly - but nothing wld come out!

ohhhh i hate this
    ems x

Aww, Emma, hang in there! Maybe you did have a bug last time or like you said it messed w/ the time release and that's what made you sick. Keep letting us know how it's going. I just have a feeling you will get thru this just fine and that worrying will be the worse part.

I do know what you meana bout not seeing your life w/o emet. I do think it's cureable but I also figure even if I personally am never cured it doesnt' mean it gets to rule my life. There are people w/ all sorts of mental and physical illnesses that live, for the most part, normal lives and their illness is just part of it that theyw ork around. I know it's very easy to say that while I'm not the one getting off of a med that has withdrawls BUT I do be;lieve it's true (even if I dont' believe it when I'm panicky lol) Just remember that this will be over, getting off the meds is not going to be the rest of your life and you are a strong person and will get thru this! hope this helps!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin