Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: If V* wasn't painful would you still be afraid of doing it?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 81.48%
  • No

5 18.52%

Default If Getting S* wasnt painful would you be phobic?

Yes or no? I'm just curious. Every time It's ever happened to me, when I was really young, I don't remember it being painful at all. It would just happen out of no where. So I wonder why I'm afraid.

Default Re: If Getting S* wasnt painful would you be phobic?

The reason I am phobic is because when I was born my parents protected me, I was rarely sick because my mom always made sure evrything was clean and my hands were clean, she is a bit of a germaphobe. When my sister was born her asthma was worse than mine and she was frequently V* because she would cough so much V* was the only way for her to breathe again. I think that shocked and traumatized me more than any of my own v* experiences because it made me afraid before I ever really got s*.

I don't even remember vomiting being painful. I hate it because of what it does to my mouth!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Drizzle: that makes a lot of sense actually. The panic can be worse then the experience.

Gumdropper: I never even thought of that XC

I wouldn`t say vting was painful exactly, but it is extremely unpleasant & gross, also degrading & humilliating, that`s what`s so scary about it, especially if it happens for no apparent reason.

Wow, this is so interesting. I really didn't think people would be afraid of v* if it wasn't painful.

The fact that it can be painful (usually not though) isn't why i'm afraid of it. Pain doesnt scare me so I voted yes

I don't think it's painful unless there is nothing in your stomach

You may find these links helpful!

Pain doesn't have to be a factor. It's the negative "fusion" that takes place in your brain when an event occurs and you feel threatened/out of control/traumatized by it. What the "books" say is that you can't have a phobia without having the underlying problem of GAD. Once you have that, then there is fertile ground for different outlets of anxiety, including a phobia, panic attacks, social anxiety, etc.

I think I would still be scared. It's more of the taste, smell and sounds that really bother me.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-