Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How often does the average person vomit?

Bernadine, personally for me i just visualize it going down instead of up. I visualize it and keep saying to myself it's moving down, moving through my intestines, etc. I also take 3 or 4 tums, chew them up and chase it down with gingerale. So eventually I'll burp alot to get the pressure out of my stomach and usually poop instead of t*u*. It's been 31 years for me since I've t*u*. There was one time that I was sure I was going to get sick after I had a mylogram. I had never been so n* in my life. After my ritual of visualizationa and tums, etc I went to the bathroom knowing I was still going to t*u* leaned over the toilet and burped so loud and long it was unbelievable but no t*u*. Felt 100% better and the n* was gone. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bernadine24 View Post
    Original post by Mooki:
    And by the time emets get to adulthood they have practically worked controlling it into a science.

Hi Mooki,
    Can you give me some tips on how you control it? I'm pretty much a lifelong emet, and though I have some stand-bys (like taking anti-anxiety meds when I feel nauseous) I never quite trust that I've worked it down "to a science" and am convinced that every time IT is going to happen. I'd love to know more...Thanks.
    I must admit I'm somewhat wary of even talking about it for fear of jinxing myself, lol. But I have had nausea at times where my body was trying really hard to force it up but somehow I kept it down miraculously. What I do first take a bowl movement if you feel you can. Also urinate all you can. Somehow it feels like it relieves "pressure" from your innards. When I get a powerful wave of nausea, I sit straight up at a 90 degree angle and I make sure I breath very shallow and calm. You can take some deep, slow breaths, but make sure they are smooth and slow and not sharp. Your body needs to start the retching process(that gag reflex) in order to get the vomit up to your mouth, so as long as you can stop that from happening I think you can hold it down. I try to breath only through my nose. I take tiny sips of water here and there only enough to wet my tongue. I feel like water helps dilute whatever is making my stomach hurt so try to sip a little water if you can, preferably soothing and warm or room temp, not cold. Sit as still as a statue, do NOT make any quick movements. Do not stand up. Do not walk around until acute nausea wave subsides. I rate my nausea on a scale of 0-5. 0 is no nausea whatsoever. 1 is slight discomfort maybe no worse than eating a little too much but you are totally functional. 2 is starting to feel uncomfortable to the point of not eating anything but you can still function. 3 is getting to the point where I may consider taking anti-emetics or drinking ginger tea. If I have errands to do, I will not go out until it falls back to 2 or below. 4 is severe nausea, I will not go out, I will mostly stay still, I will take an anti-emetic I am feeling very nauseated and could easily vomit if I let myself. 5 is where vomiting is virtually imminent and you are making sure you are in the bathroom or have a bucket next to you, you are barely holding it down at that point and if you're fighting it you are in agony. When my nausea is at its worse, it goes back and forth between 4 and 5 from minute to minute. I get that rolling feeling like something is coming up then that's when I sit straight up and still and control my breathing and it goes back down to 4. The vomiting center of my brain takes a breather and then a few minutes later may push the button again and I can once again feeling it trying to come up. Then I go back into my repression technique. Eventually my brain just gives up and the nausea starts to go between 3 and 4, and then 2 and 3 and then 1 and 2 until it goes away. The process from beginning to end may be anywhere from half an hour to several hours. I was once food poisoned and curled up in my bathroom floor for several hours refusing to do it. When I felt the 5 coming on, I assumed my position and held it down. Then all of a sudden my brain stopped trying to force the toxin out my mouth and made it come out the other way. I then had explosive, yellow, watery diarrhea(I know TMI!) for half an hour straight. When I was done emptying from my lower half I felt complete relief.

I'm not saying this technique will work for everyone and perhaps one day it will fail me. Because it depends on being able to sit completely still as opposed to being stuck in a car bouncing around. And I don't know if this would work against noro. It's only worked for non-virus ailments. But the fact that it did keep it down with the food poisoning gives me hope. I'm not sure if it would be enough to counter syrup of ipecac. So try it out if you ever get to that point, you may find it beneficial, you may not, who knows. All of our bodies are wired a little differently.
    Last edited by mooki; 03-18-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Gumdropper,
    are you sure those figures are correct, I find it hard to believe that such a high percentage of people have vted in the last year!

Yes, the figures are correct and I believe them to be true because they are so consistent from year to year. It looks like most people barf at least once a year.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i havent since i was 22 and that was because i was drunk. but before that i think i was maybe early teens or even before that. its been at least twelve yrs.

Hi Mooki,
    Can you give me some tips on how you control it? I'm pretty much a lifelong emet, and though I have some stand-bys (like taking anti-anxiety meds when I feel nauseous) I never quite trust that I've worked it down "to a science" and am convinced that every time IT is going to happen. I'd love to know more...Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I am 15 and I wa talking to my friends today and two of them said that they threw up recently and always throw up but make no big deal of it( which I'm extremely jealous about) but that got me thinking that perhaps normal people throw up a lot more than I thought since the last time I threw up was a year ago because I fell in a bog and swallowed some water but before that it was about five years before :/ but then again my sister barely ever throws up so I just don't really know. But I panic so much whenever I get a stomach ache or feel sick, which is made worse by the fact that currently suffer really bad anxiety which gives me stomach aches and makes me constantly feel so sick :/ so I am taking anti nausea tablets but the doctors keep saying in have to cut down because its not good for me but I honestly can't imagine my life without them :/ but its been good to see that people on here haven't thrown up in ages

I think its really tough to make an average, as different people have different tolerances and immune systems.

For example, person A might have a very high tolerance against bugs and viruses, but will easily get sick from drinking. Person B might be able to chug drink after drink after drink and be fine, but might be prone to catching noro. Person C might be very prone to motion sickness. Person D might have a high tolerance for viruses, alcohol and motion, yet will puke from being too stressed.

The last time I puked was November of 2006, and I wasn't an emetophobe until July 2011, when I had a close call. None of my friends are emetophobes, and they've all puked several times since the last time I did it, and for a whole variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bernadine24 View Post
    Original post by Mooki:
    And by the time emets get to adulthood they have practically worked controlling it into a science.

Hi Mooki,
    Can you give me some tips on how you control it? I'm pretty much a lifelong emet, and though I have some stand-bys (like taking anti-anxiety meds when I feel nauseous) I never quite trust that I've worked it down "to a science" and am convinced that every time IT is going to happen. I'd love to know more...Thanks.
    Here are some tips too control vomiting.
    Run your wrists under cold water for about 30 seconds. Take a ginger pill. Also there are pressure points on your wrists too help with nausea. Take a alcohol pad and sniff it for about 15 seconds. Nurses do it with patients who are nauseated after surgery. Chew gum mint or wintergreen referably. Lay on your back and bend your legs. Think of things that make you happy. Smell something that has a nice smell. Probiotics , zofran I take it nothing else works with pepto bismol tablets, not the liquid that will make you puke.

Quote Originally Posted by bitsybabe View Post
    It's been 31 years for me. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Has it really been that long for you??? I'm hoping that I'm that lucky! I'm going around 10 years but I'm always so paranoid! I'm hoping I might can go the rest of my life without v*

What would my statistics be that I will v*. I have not done it in atleast 10 years.

That chart thing from the previous page is amazing! I kinda got the same calculation as the hypothetical patient (1.52chance) cos I have been v* free for over a decade.

Mooki, that's a very very cool but complex thing you do, seems like its all in the mind which is powerful. I rely on deep breaths when my level is at 5. I usually get to level 2-3 then shake it off by smelling scents or walking round or waiting it out by talking to people. Sometimes it takes hours. Last cloe episode, it for to around 4 in the summer and it took me about five hours to get rid of it...

i was sick last week :/ due to some stupid sour milk

I think it is the case that people are sick when they need to be sick - not sure how an average is calculated from that?

Plarsson: the average is calculated based on actual vomiting. Not on the need for vomiting.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I see. Thank you.

I've been reading this poll and finding it very interesting, I still can't wait for plarsson's reasearch

Depends on the person. I've personally done it 11 times (I'm 15). Those are just the separate occasions, after that I usually V* about 1-3 times during those occasions.
    However parents have thrown up like three times ever. I'm jealous, hope I v* less as an adult, however I'm more prone to illness, so we'll see.