Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New here. Hi! Stressing over Rotavirus Vaccine

Hello all! Nice to be among people who get it.

I developed emet. after my daughter got sick with Rotavirus 4 years ago. It's been a daily struggle ever since. I now have a newborn (love him, but a total accident, as I never thought I could knowingly have another germy little critter around the house) and he had to get his vaccinations last week. One of them was Rotateq. I went back and forth and back and forth. On the one hand, I know it's a great way to help my son avoid getting my worst enemy. On the other hand, it's a live virus and I knew he would shed for weeks. I had him get it, but now I'm a mess. I use gloves for all changes, obviously, with extreme handwashing after. I have germicidal Clorox wipes (the hospital grade ones) for surfaces and Lysol. But he's spitty. He drools and shoves his hands in his mouth and all that. I know some of the virus is probably in his saliva, but I can't find specific info about just how contagious it is. Anyway, it's been a week and I have at least another week of this because it can shed for at least 15 days (maybe more? have they just not tested?). I could use some support. Has anyone else gone through this with a child? Did it work out for you? Were you a mess? Did anyone get s**k?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Default Re: New here. Hi! Stressing over Rotavirus Vaccine

I wouldn't worry I'm pretty sure that those viruses are only shed through feces and v*

Most adults have already been exposed and don't catch rotavirus. I also believe it is only shed through poop and puke.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I actually refused it for my son i researched and i always vaccinate my kids but this and the chicken pox vaccine are to new for my liking no long term effects known .

I have heard of siblings getting it when the baby has been vaccinated but never an adult.

I work in the medical field, and its a fact that its only shed through vomit and poop, and 99% of adult can not catch it, we are immune, my son is about to get his last dose of it, and all i do is wash my hands after his poops, and i have been fine. Even my 7 year old daughter is around him, and she has not caught it either. You will be fine.

Oh my gosh i am SOOO glad that i found someone whos story is almost IDENTICAL to my own...I have three kids,,,well my middle child (whos a boy) is 4 and a half years old and almost 3 years ago he came down with Rotavirus..He was sick for weeks. He ended up being hospitalized for dehydration after vomiting for about 5 days straight...Well i already had emetophobia and have had it since i was a little girl (i always say i was born with it) but after the Rotavirus incident,it got ALOT worse..My youngest child was born about a month after my middle son was hospitalized and i did not hesitate at all to get him the vaccine...We had no problems at all after he got it (i was careful when i changed his diaper,didnt wear gloves but i made sure to wash my hands) and he has been fine since..Hes never had a stomach virus in his life *knock on wood*...He is 3 years old now..My middle child recovered from his bout of Rotavirus but till this day,it has not left my mind..I believe it was one of the scariest things ive ever been through..:-( Your little one will be ok,,dont worry too much about it..I think you made the right choice getting the vaccine for him/her...Best of luck with your new addition!
    Make me whole again....

Rotavirus is actually not a threat to adults. You've likely already had it as a kid, and when adults catch it it's usually extreme mild (rarely resulting in vomiting).

Yes, agree with all of the above. I'm not a parent, but I have read that adults are immune to rotavirus naturally, as tend to have it when we're children. Hope this is of some comfort to you! x

Thanks to everyone. You've made me feel a lot better. I am more afraid for my 7 year old than myself because, well, as anyone with a child knows, it's easier to clean up after an adult than a child. We're moving cross country in 3 weeks, so my stress level is very high, which always makes me worse.

I think I'm more worried about this because my mother has cancer (I'm moving to be closer to her) and the pediatrician advised me against getting the 2nd and 3rd doses for my son because of his proximity to my mom. Her immune system is compromised. So I'm worried my son won't be fully covered, but my mom would be at risk if he completes his Rotateq regimen. Basically, I'm worried about everything right now. I wish I could quiet my mind and focus on the wellness of everyone I love instead of the potential for illness, but my brain doesn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by HighwayMiles View Post
    Thanks to everyone. You've made me feel a lot better. I am more afraid for my 7 year old than myself because, well, as anyone with a child knows, it's easier to clean up after an adult than a child. We're moving cross country in 3 weeks, so my stress level is very high, which always makes me worse.

I think I'm more worried about this because my mother has cancer (I'm moving to be closer to her) and the pediatrician advised me against getting the 2nd and 3rd doses for my son because of his proximity to my mom. Her immune system is compromised. So I'm worried my son won't be fully covered, but my mom would be at risk if he completes his Rotateq regimen. Basically, I'm worried about everything right now. I wish I could quiet my mind and focus on the wellness of everyone I love instead of the potential for illness, but my brain doesn't work that way.
    I can only being to imagine how you must be feeling, I'm really sorry that you're going through what you are. It sounds like you could do some help with the stresses you're going through if you don't mind me saying. Do you currently take any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication? It might be worth speaking to your doctor about your worries if not.

If you want a quick stress reliever for when you get meag panicky, I really find Rescue Remedy works, and they have special ones for when you need to sleep that stops you having repetitive thoughts. It's all natural, so nothing can hurt you in it.

And just to say, take a deep breath. You'll get through this. x

Hello,
    I am new, I also think I was born with this phobia. I have six children. I am sorry but I am in absolute desparation at the moment and need someone to talk to. 3 of my children have come down with a vomiting virus, in the past 7 days, I have not eaten or slept all week, and I am beginning to feel scared, my heart is constantly pumping out of my chest, and I lie awake all night waiting for the sound of the next childs V". I just want to leave. I just can't do this anymore. Is there anyone out there that can get me through this. I still have three children that will catch this bug, I am scared.