Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Raw chicken! Ack!

Today I was eating in my school's cafeteria and ate the chicken breast. Usually a safe choice, since they normally overcook them to rubber. However, today I was chewing and it felt slimier than normal so I spat it out and a small bit of it looked raw. Very small, the rest was thoroughly cooked (rubbery even) but this little piece seemed at least quite undercooked, and probably more that I swallowed was. Now I'm panicking. Is there anything I can do? I hear Salmonella frequently manifests as diarrhea only with cramping, is that true?

It's been about 2.5 hours now, and my stomach is making super disgusting gurgling noises. In an attempt to help my phobia I'm not taking a compazine. Yet. So scared... I hear the horror stories about food poisoning being so much worse than noro, people talk about feeling like death and lying on their floors for hours straight.
    Last edited by person54321; 03-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Default Re: Raw chicken! Ack!

been about 6 hours and I'm getting very hungry, does that probably mean I'm fine?

you are fine......chances are the chicken was completely cooked......chicken can have pink....even kind of purple red spots in it when totally cooked. don't worry
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You probably got one of those nasty sinewing gristle bits. As a 16 year vegetarian, this are the things I remember about chicken. BLEH!!
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Maybe. It was so small it was hard to tell. It actually wasn't pink, it was kind of beigey-yellow. I was worried because it was translucent and didn't form those line-shaped bits that cooked chicken should. Almost 7 hours now... Still scared.

Honestly, as gross as this sounds, it was probably a vein. They tend to have a pinkish color to them, and can be found in any part of the chicken. Pretty yucky to think about, but it can't hurt you! I am sure you are fine!

ETA: And remember, not all chickens carry salmonella. You'd have to eat undercooked chicken that was also infected with salmonella to get sick. The odds are in your favor!
    Last edited by finlady; 03-10-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: wanted to add something

I had a similar incident a couple of days ago... I thought I ate undercooked chicken too. Everything turned out fine for me. It didn't make me sick. You would probably know by now if it was going to make you sick.