Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Sage;

What are the chances of finding out why this phobia started by seeing a hypnotherapiest? Getting right down to the root of why this phobia started? Can it be done when you have had this phobia for 30 years? What exactly happens when you see this kind of doctor? Have you had this done?

Rhonda

Thanks for PM'ing me Sage!!

oh - could u guys maybe share abit of that info too - id be interested in knowing - are the chances slim tho....thats what i guess...?

Hypnotherapy isn't quackery at all....but there are a lot of quacks doing it, which is the problem. I suggest that if someone wants to do hypno, make sure they have a stack of degrees, registration, etc. first. ...not just someone who claims to be a "hypnotist". Also, is hypnotism the only thing up their sleeve? Avoid these people. Go to a CBT therapist, or psychologistwho integrates hypnosis.

Other kinds of therapy can get at the root of the phobia too. But often the roots are dispersed...several things lead to its beginning, not just one. There is no one "trauma" for instance, that would cause emetophobia in every human being. Some traumas lead to emet, others don't...they do in some people, others not. It's a combo.

Finding the cause is not necessary to get significant symptom relief. You can treat the phenomenon of panic itself without knowing why it started. In fact, I wouldnt' waste time going for the deep roots when you've got symptoms to get rid of. Wait until you can eat, sleep, not panic, not think about emet 24/7, and be happy to delve into childhood issues.

Although for some, one EMDR session will get at the root (one poster today noted that). Then when the root is eroded away some, the emet gets better. So it varies.

Gee, that wasn't very helpful. Get a good therapist! Then work at it together.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thankyou Sage!!