Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Question OT: Oil pulling anyone?

Is anyone familiar with this? It is sort of an old practice where you swish your mouth with sesame, sunflower, or coconut oil for 10 to 20 minutes...like you would with mouthwash. The idea is that the oil pulls all the bacteria and attracts it, and it is supposed to heal you of many maladies, and help your mouth, teeth and gums. Sounds neat, BUT when I google it, there are some cases of people gagging and/or v*. You're supposed to do it first thing in the am or on an empty stomach. I want to try but now I'm a little scared. Anyone???

Default Re: OT: Oil pulling anyone?

It's complete hooey if you ask me. It makes no sense and sounds disgusting.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

10 to 20 MINUTES??? Holy cow! I can barely keep mouthwash in my mouth for a full minute..LOL

Haha! I'm exactly the same. I think it'd be the texture and stuff of the oil that would cause gagging, or if you accidentally swallowed a little bit. If you think you can handle it with the gross slipperiness of the oil (I know I couldn't) then I don't see the harm in it... Not that I think it'll do much.

Blech! Sounds disgusting and like a load of, you know. I can't imagine that would help. We have things that pull out bacteria and kill it, that's why mouthwash is loaded with alcohol.

Listerine will get rid of those germs in 30 seconds
    I'm guilty of being innocent
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sounds nasty!! Some people have bad gag refluxes and can't handle weird textures.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

kb212 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andee View Post
    Is anyone familiar with this? It is sort of an old practice where you swish your mouth with sesame, sunflower, or coconut oil for 10 to 20 minutes...like you would with mouthwash. The idea is that the oil pulls all the bacteria and attracts it, and it is supposed to heal you of many maladies, and help your mouth, teeth and gums. Sounds neat, BUT when I google it, there are some cases of people gagging and/or v*. You're supposed to do it first thing in the am or on an empty stomach. I want to try but now I'm a little scared. Anyone???
    I feel the same way. I came across it and was curious. Supposedly its supposed to help rid the body of toxins. I too am scared to try it for the same reason you are, plus it sounds pretty gross. Also, I read that you should NOT swallow the oil as it contains many toxins. That scared me even more, because I thought, what if I swallow a little bit, would it make me v* because of all the crap, not to mention I would have an empty stomach. Maybe someday I'll try it, but not anytime soon. Let us know if you do!

Yes, it has a lot of ancient evidence behind it and a ton of testimonials. I might try it very slowly...the list of supposed conditions is amazing.