Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Best anti-v* in the world

I am sure it is not so good to be dependent on a pill to ensure I don't v*. For years I have been lying to my docs telling them I have stomach viruses and I need phenergan when I don't. But it really will stop the sick feeling! I am prone (or so I think) to getting stomach bugs so when I feel like I might have one I take a phenergan. It stops it completely! It's the greatest invention ever but last time I went to the doc they gave me some other anti-v* pill and it does NOT work nearly as well. I am very upset and dramamine just doesn't cut it when you are actually s*!! Home remedies may work for some but NOT FOR ME! I haven't had a good reliable pill to take for v* in over a year.

Just sharing I guess. Or if any of you know if anything, like if I can get this by going to a psychiatrist or something... though I'm sure they will just tell me that this is escalating my problem and rewarding my phobia.... gah! it's inevitable.

But it's not like v*ing is a good thing! It's not healthy so what's the big deal with giving me something to make it not happen???!!! It's not like I take it when I don't need it. I used to be on Lorazepam which was for panic attacks and it also had an anti-v* side effect, which was great because those two things go hand in hand for me. BUT they quit perscribing it to me and put me on Zoloft. Grrr can't win. Doctors are so dumb.

Default Re: Best anti-v* in the world

Doctors are not dumb. Vomiting can be good for your body if there's something there that needs to be gotten rid of. If you don't get it out somehow then it might cause damage, and that would be way worse than the vomiting itself.

Believe it or not, the years of medical school do pay off, and doctors know better than people seem to think. I'm sorry, but I know a LOT of doctors, and it's really frustrating to hear that people think they don't know what they're doing because I know how hard they work, and how hard they've studied to get where they are.

I really didn't mean to offend. I was saying it in a very un-serious way. I really appreciate doctors obviously. I have a heart condition and wouldn't be alive without them. CBT's are certainly excluded from that statement. I do however mean they are dumb (and by dumb I mean unfair I guess) in the sense that they (being regular, unconcerned family doctors) would rather put you on something name brand and endorsed than something that actually works. Zoloft for instance!!

What would happen if instead of lying to the doctor to get phenegran, you were honest? It's not as if you're asking for an addictive narcotic. I find that if I'm honest with my doctor and ask for what I want for the reason I want it, she's pretty accommodating. I think most doctors are. So instead of just accepting the other pill they put you on, including the zoloft, why not tell them you prefer Phen and Loraz?

I agree. Ask your doctor why they have prescribed you something different when the other stuff worked well for you. My doctors are generally very understanding and have always listened to me whenever I ask them for something.

Just ask for what works for you. There's absolutely no reason they wouldn't give you what works for you. I was given one type of pill I didn't like, so I called and asked for the one I thought might work. He wrote me a prescription over the phone.

I understand why you like to have the drug on hand, but try not to take it unless you absolutely have to. I became addicted to gravol, and it's extremely difficult to break an addiction that is purely psychological!

OMGf i do not think people on here intend to offend people all she wanted to know is what other kind of medicine people take to make them feel better!! if you dont know of any then dont post anything why do some people have to be so nasty!! i take 2 dramamine when i dont feel well it works for me! but phenegren is better i agree! i do tell my doctor that i like to have phenegren on hand in case i do get sick because of my fear and she gives it to me just be honost with your doctor i know its scary but he she will understand!!!

When I was pregnant and had severe nausea for a month, was still living with my phobia, and missed work for a month because I was anxious and freaked out about feeling nausous all the time, my doctor prescribed phenegran but it didn't work. So he prescribed me Zofran next which DID work. I'm not encouraging anyone to use it, and lied and said that I couldn't keep anything down (not true, I just hardly ate because I was so afraid to get sick) that they prescribed it for me. I'm a research freak and didn't want to harm my daughter and made sure that the research had shown that it is safe during pregnancy and it was a godsend since I wasn't able to deal with phobia and have a safe pregnancy (I wouldn't eat or drink anything) while going through morning sickness--it was too much. So I used Zofran which is extremely expensive and luckily my health insurance covered it. But AFTER the first trimester was over and so was the nausea, I got my butt back into therapy (i posted my story tonight under success story threads) and refused to EVER feel that crazily doomed, scared and freaked out because of nausea. Sorry, I got a little long-winded, but to answer your question, Zofran works better than phenegran in extreme cases.

I use zofran, but believe it or not, your brain can be more powerful than the drug considering once i knew i couldnt vomit anymore, i went on to the next thing, and worried about other types of pain.

I think that doctors are prejudiced in favour of vting, as I have read some articles on medical websites that say it`s perfectly ok to take anti emets for svs, as vting doesn`t make any difference to recodery. If I had a sv, I would take anti emets, as I sincerely believe that it won`t do any harm not to v.

Yes, doctors in general don't see vomiting as a big deal. I think that's why sometimes we feel we have to lie to get anti-emetics. Not saying it's right, but that's why.
    JANNA

I never took an anti emetic in my life. I get through it with lavender essential oil, rennies and mints/chewing gum.

To be fair, I am scared to take anything like an anti emetic incase it actually make me v* instead of my usual routine which has worked for years.

ZOFRAN I think its the best anti v med out there love it

Quote Originally Posted by mary1234 View Post
    ZOFRAN I think its the best anti v med out there love it
    Do you think that if I caught a stomach bug and took this in time it would stop me from vomiting? Has anyone done this successfully? I just got a prescription for this from my doctor and haven't tried it at all (no need YET, ginger works for just about everything from indigestion to anxiety).