Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Motion sickness and airplanes

So i am trying to work up the courage to get on an airplane again.
    Im looking for anything, good stories, bad stories, anything you feel like adding.

It has been over ten years since i last flew. The thing is, i was on my way home from a vacation and i was so scared to get on the plane because of how bad the trip there was. The flight home was fine once i was able to relax during the flight. I wasnt motion sick or anything. the flight down was bad though. felt sick during takeoff and felt sick the whole flight.

now i have a job that will soon require me to travel. i want to build the courage to fly and i am looking for some perspective.

anyone know any good motion sickness meds and anything that will keep me from being so nervous that i cant even get on the plane.

one other thing is that i am so sensitive to motion it seems everything makes me feel sick. the reason i think im so bad is because of my fear which im sure most people reading this will understand.

i really do want to travel though so this is something i really need to deal with. i am going to talk to my doctor too but a lot of times is nice to get some info from people who understand a little better.

thanks everyone
    Last edited by falseadvertise; 03-21-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Default Re: Motion sickness and airplanes

I have flown over 20 times, longest trips were from california to Hawaii, and california to florida. Not sure how long they were but I think to Hawaii it was 5 hours and to Florida it was 8 hours. I have NEVER felt sick on a flight. And I have never heard of anyone getting motion sickness on a flight

I take dramamine and use sea bands when i fly-the dramamine almost knocks me out for half the flight

I am extremely sensitive to motion. I hate even driving in my husband's truck because the windshield on the passenger's side has this weird warp in it just at my eye level and it makes everything look bonkers and that messes with my head even more. Bleh! Last time I flew I was prescribed a scopalamine (sp?) patch for the dizziness, phenergan for the nausea, and xanax for me freaking out about the dizziness and nausea! I was really quite comfortable, overall, except for take off and landing. I wasn't nauseated then, just didn't like the change in pressure. I mostly just slept.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Thanks for the feedback. ive been working up to this for a long time and am really trying to set a target date. The problem is that im somewhat ocd and when i set a date i cant not do it. so its hard for me to commit. haha. i hate riding in the back seat of a puck up. idk why but its the worst place! i will fly again soon.

Take dramamine or bonine and some ginger pills (I've heard they work amazingly even on motion sickness) and you will be fine on even the bumpiest of flights. I fly a LOT (8+ trips per year) and very rarely is the turbulence bad enough for people to get sick, and I tend to be sensitive to motion sickness.

I was even on a flight once where they came on as we were taking off to inform us not to be scared but it was going to be extremely bumpy and they could not turn off the seatbelt sign. I hadn't taken anything, and the flight attendant even came on for about five minutes to talk us through how to deal with airsickness it was so bad. Even then, while some people looked a little green, no one actually lost it. Plus as an emet, you will have a stronger stomach for this. You'll do fine.

I have flown several times and only once noticed someone getting sick. Luckily I didn't see or hear anything, I just noticed the lady looking sick and handing a bag over to the stewardess and hearing the stewardess say, "are you feeling any better?" Ick.
    I myself don't usually get air sick, I do however get car sick. In the plane I take a few sedatives, get a window seat, put my mp3 player on, noise reducing headphones on, sunglasses, a scarf over my face and try to just go to sleep. I usually sleep at least half the flight.
    I try my best to ignore everyone and just sleep if possible.
    Jenna

Just to add, focusing on the horizon helps a lot if you're feeling woozy.