Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have a huge fear of dentists, and so, of course, I am blessed with a terrible set of teeth. The tooth they have been itching to put a crown on has started to fall apart again, and I know as soon as the dentist looks at it he'll want to put a crown on right away.

OK, so, I couldjust get nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and then they could do everything in my mouth that needs doing (3 small fillings and the crown)

I've had nitrous twice before as a kid, and all went well. I recovered quickly, and didn't have any side effects.

But of course, I'm now paranoid that it'll make me v*

I am trained dental nurse, and have never seen anyone get ill from nitrous. As an emet I would certainly never have nitrous,but wouldtake a sedative likevaliumor ativan. Not that I want to encourage drug use but whenever I have a panic attack or emet "episode" I take Ativan. It works very quickly without any unpleasant side effects (at least for me.) It will likely make you feel a bit dopey and calm your nerves. Sedatives are also much safer that Nitrous Oxide. Just my humble opinion though. Good luck.

Anna

you know, I used to have a huge phobia of dentists. SO much that I hadn't gone in about 10 years.

I recently made myself go after seeing people who had left their teeth untreated - what an ugly sight - the were rotting aout of their mouths.

I went and braved it, no drugs or anything (except novacain)and you know what? it wasnt BAD at all! i remember 10 years ago sitting in the seat, tears running down my cheeks because I was in so much pain from the needle. this time, I felt a BIG GIANT nothing! technology has come SO far that I would say tweezing my eyebrows was 10 times more painful than going to the dentist that day. i coulnd't belive I had been scared in so long.and I had a huge molar filled, and drilled. nothing to it.

I just want you to know that I felt the same way as you, and I had built it up so much in my mind as a hoeeible horrible thing, like emet. But we have a alittle bit of a twisted sence of reality sometimes, and I have to tell you dentists these days are far more considerate to patients, telling them what they are doing, relaxing them, better at giving needles, ect. LIke i said, tweezing my eyebrows was 20 times more painful.

I did, howver, have a little bit of an incident after I got up from the chair. I had such an adreniline rush come over me from being relieved that I almost passed out. it was kind of funny. the assistant sat with me untill it had passed and was so helpful.It wasn't due to anything they had done to me, I had myself worked up SO much that my body didn't know how to handle the stress.

you really need to find a dentist you can feel comfortable with and knows you are afraid. I know it sounds bad, but sometimes youll find a nice assistant who will hold your hand and everything. the dentist makes all the difference in the world.

and While I still don't really like going, its no more of an inconvienice to me than shoveling snow and when I start to get worked up over it I have to keep telling myself Its never as bad as I think.

Good luck, I hope my story helps!Edited by: Babydoll
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I am a similar case. I was sooo scared, I avoided it for years! Then, I was in so much pain, I had to go. Turned out it was a rotten wisdom tooth that they had to pull. I freaked and cried in the chair when they told me. But...it was not bad at all!!! Novacaine didn't hurt or anything! Then, I had to go back for a cleaning and check up and that wasn't bad either! Now I have to go back and get some fillings and the other three wisdom teeth out, but if it's all that easy, I will try not to worry! You do the same, k?

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I started a post about the dentist, I was so petrified to go and I couldn't wait any longer I was going to lose some teeth, the front ones. I went and I was shaking like you wouldn't believe.They gave me a blanket towarm me up and calm me down; he was so good with me, he didn't start until I said ok do it. I feel very comfortable with him, and that is what you need to feel relaxed! I did it, and it wasn't that bad at all. I said no to the gas because of the fear of vomiting. When it was over I felt so much better, I put myself through hell for nothing. I felt that if I can go through this with the dentist I could maybe feel the same way towardsvomiting; that will take awhile! I took a bonamine to calm my stomach down. I go back to the dentist on Wednesday at noon, I am scared but I know I will be ok. Believe me if I can do it you can to. Listen to Babydoll, it isn't as bad as you believe![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

It is interesting that this topic came up.

I had 2 root canals in 2004. I was so scared both times. The second time, it was so bad that I was crying sitting in the dental chair. I was so terrified that I might gag! The pain doesn't bother me but of course, the gagging does. Both times went well and I only had some discomfort afterwards. I do have to go get another crown in a few weeks and I am worried about it. They have to do an impression on that particular tooth and since it is all the way back, I am worried about gagging!

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 15 with only nitrous gas. It had very little effect on me and I didn't feel nauseated at all.

Hope everything goes well!

Jess

Thanks for the replies.

In reply to the ativan suggestion, I am a recovering benzo addict, which kind of complicates things.I could take some, but I can eat enough ativan to slow down a horse and still be bouncing off the walls, so it would probably be a waste of time and pills.

I think I'm just going to get the nitro and be done with it. Its just that I had about 11 teeth pulled as a kid, so every time I think "dentist" I have visions of bloody sockets in my mouth packed with gauze, with blood and drool pouring out of my mouth. I guess I have a good reason to be afraid of the dentist :P I've just got to keep telling myself that its just a few quick needles, and then some painless drilling.