Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Why are you scared?

Vomiting is not nice. Nobody wants to do it. It feels awful. But, it's not dangerous, and you feel so much better after you do, so what is it about vomiting that scares you so much it's turned into a phobia?

Default Re: Why are you scared?

I really don't know.. It just scares the hell out of me. It's my worst-case-scenario. It's really hard to explain, but It just really scares me do death.

For me it's the unknown and the n* feeling. If I had a 1 minute warning and then went and v*, I don't think my fear would be near what it is.

i agree.....it's the not knowing that is worrisome to me.......any little feeling of n used to set me off.....i'm doing much better now with that.......
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the feeling of losing control of myself physically. im terrified of that sick feeling, and then just losing control and V*. for me its the scariest thing that can happen. other than the obvious horrible things that can happen in life. just thinking about feeling sick and getting sick is just soooo overwhelmingly scary i cant even explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amandakaye918 View Post
    For me it's the unknown and the n* feeling. If I had a 1 minute warning and then went and v*, I don't think my fear would be near what it is.
    I agree with this! If there was a clear warning like "hey, you're gonna get sick in one minute, get to a toilet" then I would be totally good to go!
    Personally, i think i fear more the nauseas feeling over the actual vomiting itself because like you said, you feel SO much better after. Its just those moments leading up to it that I hate and thats what I dread!!
    Words to live by: "To worry is to suffer twice", "Trust experience over your thoughts", and the Golden Rule "What would I do if I wasn't afraid/ anxious".

Smile, it'll look better in the morning
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything! its so gross & disgusting, the taste, the smell, & what others might think if they see me do it, but most of all, the complete loss of contol over the body.

Loss of control here. Totally unacceptable to me to be out of control of my body.

The nausea, stomach ache, not knowing when it will happen, the panic, the sweats, the retching, the taste, smell, mess, embarrasment of doing it in an unacceptable place, the whole losing control of my body.

For me, it's an association of death with vomiting. My grandmother had a stroke and fell, and hit her head. When I called someone out of the street, he said we needed to roll her onto her side, and then it was just like endless vomit until the paramedics put her into the ambulance. Several other instances like that too. There's also the taste/smell/control/etc stuff, but I think it stems from that.

For me it's mostly the disgust aspect of it that is most bothering. I have a low disgust threshold in general.

The taste, the smell, the appearance of it - is all the worst. There is NOTHING in the world more disgusting, or unnatrual to me. After all, unlike other bodily functions, like going to the toilet, sweating etc, we aren't supposed to v* unless we're poisoned or ill with something. So the disgust factor is the natural disease-avoidance bit kicking in.

I had brief experiences of v* before I became emet at the age of 8. Even then I found it gross. Even growing up as a toddler, I used to get grossed out by public toilets. I always had issues going to the toilet anywhere that wasn't clean.

I also have a low pain threshold. I've never coped well with any sorts of illness, although it doesn't quite explain why I'm emet and not phobic of other illnesses or injuries.

I'm also a bit of a wimp in general, i.e I've never been a 'daredevil'. Even as a child before I was emet I wasn't keen on big fairground rides or anything that was that thrill seeking.

There may be 'control' element to my phobia, as the problem with being sick is that it can't always be controlled like other, regular everyday bodily functions. Once your body decides it wants to v*, you can't stop it. Severe nausea is horrible. That bugs me. However, I'm not particularly scared of v* in front of people or in public. I'm most terrified of v* alone as there is no one to take my mind off it or look after me.

I have a really high pain tolerance so I know it isn't that. I know its a control issue. I don't like losing control of myself physically and have become really controlling of what goes into my body (food, food prep, hygeine when preparing food). I started having a lot of stomach problems about 5 years ago. I felt so sick all of the time, that I started doing everything in my power to never throw up from it. That's when my Emet started. As a kid and teenager I never liked it, but wasn't phobic or obsessive about it in the least bit. I haven't been sick in 15 years and before that maybe only a handful of times as a kid. I know the fact that it is so foreign and unknown to me is a huge contributor also.

It's the anticipation that scares the crap out of me. You don't know WHEN it's gonna happen, HOW it's gonna happen, or even IF it's gonna happen at all! If I could control whenever I were to v*, I would not be afraid at all. I'm sure if I felt unbelievably sick, and it was up to ME to v* or not, I'd probably do it... but it's not up to me. It's up to my body... and that's what sucks!

I could agree with everyone's post.

For me it's the time leading up to it, I also think if I had just enough time to KNOW I was going to v* it wouldn't be so bad. Although another thing for me is dry heaves/gagging. Bad experience as a child.