Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Talking Share your best "anti-v" tips!

I've been looking for a thread like this but couldn't find one, which suprised me, so if I've missed it, ignore this post and please show me the link to the "original" thread, thanks!

I just wanted to know YOUR best tips and tricks to beat the fear, anxiety, what you guys do when you actually feel sick and stuff like that. We can learn from each other, and maybe even find new ways of "surviving" this terrible phobia.

My tips when i feel a panic attack coming or when my anxiety is "building up":
    1. This is some what of avoidance, which my therapist doesn't recommend because you need to "face your fears" to get rid of them or to handle them better. But sometimes I just get up, go for a walk, clean the house, walk my dog. Other times I draw, do my homework (something challenging, so that your mind focuses on something other than the fear).

2. Sit comfortably on your bed, or on the floor with a pillow, and meditate. Feel the fresh air filling your lungs, and imagine that you are breathing all the anxiety out of your system when you exhale. This helps me alot in the "early stages" of my anxiety build-up. Can also work during a panic attack, because your breathing is key to not go into complete panic-mode!

3. When really scared, especially when I'm not at home, I sometimes sit down in the room that I'm in and I count all the things that are white. Or if your in a brown kind of room, count all the brown things. When I'm done with that I go back and tell myself about each white thing and what that thing is used for, and I make up alternative uses for it. Sounds stupid, but it's a really, really good de-focus technique that has helped me alot when at school and things like that.

Here goes my tips when my stomach is upset because of fear, or just generally and upset stomach:
    1. I always drink soda. My mom always told me when I was younger that if I drank soda I wouldn't get sick, and since then I've been addicted to sodas. Can't go anywhere outside my house without a soda. Plus, the bubbles may make you burp (this scares me sometimes, but it helps to get the "gas" out of your system when you feel bloated or just in general!).

2. I eat something salty, because salt binds the food in your stomach. Also I eat dry crackers or chips, because the dryness will also bind the food that's in your stomach. I also find it easier to get down than a full-on dinner when I'm in a scared state of mind.

3. Go to the bathroom. This is hard for me because the thought of maybe getting d* scares the crap (literally) out of me, but if you "empty" your system you are much less likely to actually v*. I've had stomach flues and viruses and infections without v*, just d*, and ofc I think the d* is way better than to v*. I feel if I empty my stomach when it needs to, I won't v*, and it has worked every time, so!

3. Ginger-pills, ginger tea, or things like that. I was sick to my stomach this summer with a stomach virus, and the minute i swallowed a ginger-pill, the n* went away COMPLETELY. It might have been some what of a placebo effect, but I was truly sick with a virus, so I'm pretty sure it really worked well.

Here is some of my tips and tricks I use, I would like to know what YOU do to win over your fear (because thats what you do every time you survive a panic-attack, or survive a night with n*, so hurray for you!!)

Love,
    Camilla.

Default Re: Share your best "anti-v" tips!

Pepto Bismol is the best anti nausea stuff that I`ve ever taken, & after that, Motillium, then ginger.

I am finding that if I don't put my attenion on my body symptoms and whether or not I'm going to vomit, the nausea goes away. Mainly because 99.99% of the nausea in my life has been (and still is) a symptom of anxiety and panic, and not a result of an illness.

My favorite thing is to sit outside and breathe in the fresh air. It really helps me and I've done it since the last time I v* from non-alcohol things, so it must be working at least somewhat. Breathing patterns won't always work, but they work a lot of the time and being in the fresh air makes you do that. If you can't apparently anything strong smelling works, that's why nurses have you sniff alcohol swabs. Though there's really something both calming and helpful about being outside. I think a lot of that is because a lot of emets are nervous about getting sick someplace inappropriate or in front of someone, and being outside alleviates that somewhat.

Just going to make mine short for now - fresh air/walking is good, and sometimes (Weirdly) after i have a huge crying thing (where i pity myself because i hate the way i am and how this effects my life etc) i find it's like a big relief has washed over me, like the anxiety loosens up and releases some pressure...

I also think pepto bismouth saves me. When I had my last sv a year ago I kept from v* by sucking ice chips, deep breathing, I took pepto which actually stayed down. I also tend to pace around or walk off the nausea. Water always helps and mint gum.

Peppermint gum saves me everytime!!! Along with hot tea and crackers
    Words to live by: "To worry is to suffer twice", "Trust experience over your thoughts", and the Golden Rule "What would I do if I wasn't afraid/ anxious".

Smile, it'll look better in the morning
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do have a perscription for anti-emetics because of the gastrointestial issues I've been having so I do use those from time to time. But my go-to remedies are ginger pills, a hot water bottle on my stomach, a cool cloth or ice pack on the back of my neck, sipping tea (regular is fine but peppermint helps also). Also once in awhile if my nausea is really bad, I take a very small whiff of rubbing alcohol. It's a little trick that paramedics use on patients who are nauseated while in the back of an ambulence. Not for motion sickness, but for whatever reason.

Hope these helped!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Mines lavender essential oil, calms me down a lot. Also great for sleep.
    Ginger or peppermint tea, also camomile when I am anxious.
    Rennies, mints, chewing gum.
    Breathing exercises, fresh air and always comfort from my wife and children.

I have never used anti emetics, although had them previously prescribed.
    V* is all in your head, it is a signal from your stomach to your brain/ears and back to your stomach, and I believe there are ways to stop it, as I have many a time without taking chemicals. =]

It all depends on what the person feels more comfort from using, where as for me it is anything natural.
    Although next time I am tempted just to try anti emetics, but I fear they may make me v* as I am so used to my ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by iNurtureTheOdd View Post
    I am finding that if I don't put my attenion on my body symptoms and whether or not I'm going to vomit, the nausea goes away. Mainly because 99.99% of the nausea in my life has been (and still is) a symptom of anxiety and panic, and not a result of an illness.

I wish so badly I could do that!!! I'm getting to the phase in my emet that I KNOW I'm highly UNLIKELY to v* but the idea is still in my head and I can't get rid of it which causes my stomach to hurt and then I worry about that turning into n*. Any suggestions on how you turn your attention off?

Wow, wish it were that easy for me. I take antiemetics...Zofran. I will wet my hair and go get in my car and turn the air conditioner on full blast!!! The more frozen my body gets the less it will want to get sick. It starts to focus on what really matters and that is warming me up so it forgets about vomiting. I have to tell you though,....I get very, very cold.

peppermint tea is my life saver. seriously, every single time it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by derm_st View Post
    Wow, wish it were that easy for me. I take antiemetics...Zofran. I will wet my hair and go get in my car and turn the air conditioner on full blast!!! The more frozen my body gets the less it will want to get sick. It starts to focus on what really matters and that is warming me up so it forgets about vomiting. I have to tell you though,....I get very, very cold.

That is so interesting...but i can see how that can work...someday I just might try it to see if it does for me. But then i'd be nervous of v* in the car.

For me during this sv*

1. sipping on sugar water (cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar)
    2. sitting up watchign tv
    3. deep breathing, gravol

I'm nto sure why this worked for me this time. I think too it was because I didn't have much in my tummy anyway.

The last time I v* (and any time before that) I honestly do not think I could have avoided it. The last time It just happend and I was n* and tried to do everything but nothing helped. So I think it just depends on the circumstances. I do believe this will work for all panic induced n* and for sv* in some cases.

great tips though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here's one that helps not with avoiding getting sick, but for being OK with it if it does happen. Distract yourself. If you are busy with something, you won't notice if you get sick. If you watch a really engaging movie or something and it happens, you won't really notice as much. I know this made me feel better the last time I was sick, I watched reruns of The Office and it really helped take my mind off it. And it was also the first wave of horrible nausea I had all day that didn't end in me getting sick.

My Nausea Coping Steps (for when I feel an incoming panic attack, get sick, or am just simply paranoid/stressed):

1.) Drink small sips of water or juice.
    2.) Chew a piece of strong mint gum.
    3.) Take long, deep breaths.
    4.) Fresh air (either going outside or opening a window).
    5.) Lay down in an elevated position, and try to rest/meditate away the nausea.
    6.) Avoid loud sounds and bright lights.
    7.) Sometimes if i feel really REALLY nauseous, I will sit upright and press my fingers at the bottom of my neck around the area where the flap to my esophagus is, because it gives me the sensation that I am keeping contents down.
    8.) I take my pulse with my fingers to monitor my heart rate. If it's beating super fast, it usually means I'm having a panic attack, and that the unpleasant feelings will subside in a matter of minutes.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

When I feel n*, I usually cannot stay still so I like to pace around to keep myself busy.

Also, if you prefer to have someone sit with you if you feel n*, then sit with a parent or sibling or spouse, bf/gf...whoever! But if you would rather be alone when you feel n*, then I would suggest going somewhere where you can be alone. :P

I always chew gum, take deep breaths, and sip water if I'm feeling anxious.