Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Do you think we should have a panic forum on IES?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 65.31%
  • No

17 34.69%

Thread: Panic Forum

Wink Panic Forum

So guys, since there seems to be lots of different opinions on this, what do you think of a panic forum exclusively for the more panicky posts so that we can have more positivity and light heartedness in the private and general forums?

Default Re: Panic Forum

Loving the results lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

haha - ya so far 100% by the people who probably won't use it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Everybody who would vote no probably won't even see this poll because they stick to the private forum!!

Yes, this is a good idea. Keep the panic posts in one place.

Yes definitely! I find it frustrating seeing so many panic posts but if they were in one place then people can simply avoid them if they want to! Good Thinking there sweetie! x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

I voted no, I don't think panic posts should be segregated from non-panic posts (WHICH are few and far between) if there is such a huge problem, why don't the people who want the panic posts to be separated go and post on another board that already exists? General, success stories, etc etc. I am not seeing the purpose.

And if people try to implement the idea that there should be one day of the week that people can't post something panick-y, I will probably leave IES.

For the record, I really don't think this will help anyways. I can GUARANTEE that just because it will be less convenient for people to click through and stumble upon panic posts, that they'll still do it. It's also inconvenient to type 'stomach flu' into Facebook, but people still do that ALL the time.

Completely 150% disagree.
    "I'd rather cross the line and suffer the consequences, than stare at the line for the rest of my life." <3

Yes please!
    This too, shall pass

CanadianReject, the things mentioned on the other post in the Private Forum were just ideas being thrown around. I don't think anyone really expected a panic post free day to happen, because well, this is a generally panicky place. I think that was just a wish, to be honest.

I do hope more people vote so that there might be a fair vote...

I voted yes. The idea of organization makes great sense to me. That way, those panicking can go to one specific place to seek comfort and reassurance. The ones who are triggered by panic posts can avoid them. I highly doubt moving the panics to another section would decrease response numbers, as a good 75+% of posts each day are panics. And, of course, the panic posts are generally the ones most viewed and responded to.

I panic post, so I am unbiased in saying all of this. It may or may not make a difference, but I suppose it's worth trying anyhow. How will we know we don't like it if we don't try it?

As I've said before, obviously the panics wouldn't go ignored because they get the most attention now as it is. In doing this, I think the private and general forums would be open for questions, uplifting/encouraging stories/triumphs, information, jokes, etc... things that cheer us up, inspire, encourage, etc. Whether you are seeking recovery or not.

Perhaps if this isn't a 'hit,' we can try a forum just for those seeking recovery? If you aren't seeking recovery or treatment... or wanting to be cured... the change really doesn't affect anything in the process for you anyways.

The one-day-a-week thing was just a suggestion... but again, nothing enforced. I think the best thing those who ARE wanting to get better... that DON'T want to suffer from this phobia... is to just keep in mind that we have to take baby steps. One step at a time. Setting personal goals for ourselves may be the most beneficial thing we can do.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:

I voted No, because I don't feel we should start segregating people.

This is a community for emets and for every emet at some point in their life comes panic!

As in life we have to take the good with the bad, the rough with the smooth and if you find panic posts a trigger - don't read them, they're pretty easy to spot! And if you feel recovered enough that you find them a nuisance or silly then maybe you no longer need to be here anymore? (and i mean that in a nice way not a bog-off way )

I panic post, as I've said before, when I'm very anxious/nauseous... and I wouldn't feel like I was being pushed aside or discriminated against/segregated. I think it would be nice to be able to go to one specific place to panic. That way, I know I can get help because people viewing that particular forum are either panicking themselves... or are looking to comfort/reassure others.

I don't care either way... whether a specific section is added or not. I just really, really want to see the "positive" posts getting the same attention as the panic posts. It makes me feel bad for the poster because normally when you share something positive (even a small triumph), your achievements are pushed aside and generally, ignored. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with panic posts, as I've also said before. They are just as important to read and respond to. I just wish moments of achievement received an equal amount of attention.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:

Pauline... I can't believe you're already almost out of the first trimester! It seems like you JUST found out you were pregnant. How have you been feeling? I'm sure you're still bursting with happiness, so sickness probably hasn't gotten the better of you (if you've even had any at all). Is this your first? Keep us updated.
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

I think I'm in the same boat as Jen. I don't like seeing positive posts pushed aside, but also, panic posts make me feel anxious when I'm already kind of having a fragile kind of day, lol.

And Pauline, hope your pregnancy is going well! Xx

I voted no as well just because I have a feeling that if we separate panic posts then they will get ignored. As you can see by posts in other parts of this forum tend to get ignored. People post panic posts in general cause they get veiwed.

This is a site for emetophobia support and that includes supporting panic posters. You can tell a panic post by the heading and YOU can control whether you open it or not period! We are all adults here so you have enough self control to not click it if it'll bother you. If you can't control yourself now what makes anyone think that they will control themselves to stay out of the panic forum?

Also I click the quick links at the top of the page an then "todays posts" so that I can see wht new posts have been posted and that is any post on the whole forum so panic posts will just get included anyway.

If you are recovered then great! If panic posts bother you that much then perhaps like was said above you may nto be suited to be on here. If you are not recovered and don't like the panic posts on here and can't avoid them on your own control then perhaps this isn't a site for you.

Just saying, but whatever the moderators decide is gonig to be I guess.

I voted no. To "steal" iNurturetheOdd's idea from another thread, I think panic posts should be allowed to be posted anywhere but have a P: in the title much like people do with off topic posts by putting an OT:... That way people are warned and at that point they can choose if they want to read them or not.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

I like that idea, Cupcake. 9 times out of 10, you can tell which is which... but once in awhile... you click on one that totally catches you off-guard. The idea of labeling for the consideration of others is a great way to help those that are set off by panic posts. I don't personally get anxious by most posts... but I know some do.

I don't like the idea of telling someone they don't belong here if they can't deal with the panics, though.... because honestly, those people probably need this support even more than *I* do and I consider myself pretty phobic at this point. If you can't read them, anxiety is obviously high and they need support too.

I know that seeing the obvious panic posts is a good warning for everyone and we should avoid them if it makes us anxious.... but if everyone was completely honest... it's hard to say 'no' when temptation is staring you in the face. Again, I know we are supposed to have self-control, but it is hard for some members. Personally, if I'm feeling anxious... I avoid reading them until I'm feeling better and feel like I can help someone else out. But again... not everyone has that self-control.

I guess this whole thing is comparable to the abbreviations. Some are sensitive to the actual words (again, I am not), while some aren't. I NORMALLY abbreviate out of respect to those who can't see the words... but if I make my own post or see that the OP used the words, I feel like that's a green light. People say that they don't want to have a seperate forum because people should be able to 'deal' with it. If that's our motto, I think we should be typing the full words too, because in essence... it's the same thing. The attitude that people shouldn't be here if they can't deal with the panic posts... then, they also shouldn't be here if they can't read or type the actual words?
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake x View Post
    I voted no. To "steal" iNurturetheOdd's idea from another thread, I think panic posts should be allowed to be posted anywhere but have a P: in the title much like people do with off topic posts by putting an OT:... That way people are warned and at that point they can choose if they want to read them or not.
    GREAT IDEA!!!! Love it sure let's put a P in front of the post, again as long as they don't get ignored. I do think that if you can't control yourself to not read a panic post then what can we do, it's not our responsiblity to sheild them, if I'm having a panicky day and I can't read a panic post I can always tell by the title which are and I just don't read them period.

Still amazing idea! and I will start on it, if I need to post a panic thread I will put a P

also Jen06 - no one on here said you can't write out the words, I never saw any rules saying not to, if you are making a post and you want to sure go for it. I use the abbreviations out of respect and it's different cause you can choose not to read a panic post but on this site since it is what we are dealing with most posts even positive may have a few words like v* or whatever in them and therefore even a non-panicky post could upset those who can't read or type the word.

I agree though If someone can't type the word then don't use v* if someone can an wants to then type it there are not rules saying otherwise. Plus I also use the abbreivations just to be fast

Honestly though Jen06 it's a totally different issue cause even non panic posts could have those words in them, let's keep on the topic of a panic forum or not, introducing another debate might not be a good idea
    Last edited by stefanie; 03-30-2011 at 04:12 PM.

No, I completely understand what you're saying. I just don't think it's fair to say that if they can't control themselves or are bothered by panic posts, they "probably shouldn't be here." I know there's no rule saying that we have to use abbreviations... but like you said, I do so out of respect to those who can't handle it... kinda like I think there should be a warning or something to allow others the same sort of respect when it comes to panic threads.

I don't think our panic posts will ever be ignored... whether they continue to be posted in the private forum or in a specific section... because those are the posts that get the most attention now. I've said upwards of 75% of daily posts are panic ones... but I'd be willing to bet it's closer to 85-90% of them. If we don't have a specific place for panic posts, it would be nice to have a place for those who are interested in recovering.

I'm currently in no therapy or anything to make behavioral changes, but I'm working on these things little by little. Do I think I'll need therapy to completely overcome this? Most definitely. I need to find WHAT triggered this fear and try to rewire my sense of thinking when it comes to v*. I had no clue that there were some of us who want to have this phobia. Who don't want to get rid of it. I just assumed that no one would want to suffer for the rest of their lives... but I've found that I learn new things everyday.

I would like to have a forum specifically for those seeking recovery... or even for those who are 'recovered' who can give advice/support. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'panic' forum... maybe just a 'seeking recovery' forum, perhaps?

I like the ideas everyone has been feeding, though.
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

Quote Originally Posted by paulinek View Post
    I voted No, because I don't feel we should start segregating people.

This is a community for emets and for every emet at some point in their life comes panic!

As in life we have to take the good with the bad, the rough with the smooth and if you find panic posts a trigger - don't read them, they're pretty easy to spot! And if you feel recovered enough that you find them a nuisance or silly then maybe you no longer need to be here anymore? (and i mean that in a nice way not a bog-off way )
    I fully agree with this. Well said. We do not need to segregate people because of their panic. The private forum has the majority of posts. Just learn to deal with people posting panic threads instead of pushing them away ... IMO

Quote Originally Posted by lizzo View Post
    I fully agree with this. Well said. We do not need to segregate people because of their panic. The private forum has the majority of posts. Just learn to deal with people posting panic threads instead of pushing them away ... IMO
    I wouldn't personally feel segregated, but if others did... it may not be the best decision. I wouldn't want people to feel that way at all. Perhaps the best decision would be to make a place for 'positive/encouraging' posts. That way when we felt the need for encouragement or positivity, we would know where to go.
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

Quote Originally Posted by Jen06 View Post
    I wouldn't personally feel segregated, but if others did... it may not be the best decision. I wouldn't want people to feel that way at all. Perhaps the best decision would be to make a place for 'positive/encouraging' posts. That way when we felt the need for encouragement or positivity, we would know where to go.
    That sounds like a good idea Jen06! I like that, those that fealt the forums are getting to negative would have a place to go where there is nothing but positivity and those who need to post a panic post could do so like we've been doing Good Idea Jen

Thank you I think it would be a good way to handle moments when we need encouraging or inspirational support... and if someone is feeling anxious... they can go to where they KNOW there is ONLY positive posts, where they won't see graphic/panicky things if their stomach/nerves just can't take it at that point in time. I really wouldn't want anyone to feel segregated against either, ever. Maybe we could just know then that private forum WILL have panic posts, so if we feel the need to avoid... we are well warned!
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

What would be considered a "panic post"? Someone who thinks they're having a panic attack, or someone who thinks they're sick? Or both? Or just anyone who is worried about something.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinions to a definition. I guess when *I* panic post... I'm nauseous and absolutely CONVINCED I'm sick and will v*. I am completely freaked out, analyzing everything that has led me to that point. Some include graphic stories as to WHY they think they're surely sick *this* time. Like...
    (and this is totally made-up... just an example)...

"My sister was at my house earlier. She had had diarrhea earlier in the day and said she felt nauseous. She vomited all over my floor and in my bathroom. It was everywhere. The smell made my husband dry heave and of course, I was gagging the entire time. I was in the room and now I'm convinced I've caught the stomach bug from her. I'm freaking out! Help! Please! I'm so nauseous. I know 'it' is going to happen. It's just a matter of time..." and on and on...

Like I said, just an example. This is an extreme example, although I've seen details much more graphic in the past. I've panic-posted.... even recently. But some people are triggered by these posts, hence the whole point of this discussion and poll. Lol. But I guess everyone has their own interpretation of what a 'panic' post really is... but I guess that's a generalized idea.
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog:

I voted no. I feel it would be a pretty dramatic enforced segregation that will make people feel rejected and unwelcome for being scared. Let's not force some of our more severe fellow emets to sit in the back of the bus so to speak. That just isn't right. The fundamental value of a support forum is support and I think many are losing sight of that. I also think that their posts will be ignored, even with the best of intentions of some of our more helpful members. This will just result in a flurry of panic threads all over the board looking for someone to respond. So now we have two or more panic threads instead of just one. In theory, making a panic post "P" is a good idea, but I think it in reality it probably won't work. I mean really, if someone is in a state of panic, are they really going to be worried about the correct category to a) start their thread and b) appropriately label their thread? Not going to happen. Panic threads are easily recognized either by the thread title alone or by "previewing" the thread (cursor over the title). If you don't want to read a certain thread, don't open it. Common (perhaps uncommon) sense.

I think if there was a "new" category added to the forum it should be an "active recovery" forum where people can only talk about their positive steps towards recovery. But not the "setbacks", because that promotes negativity and then we'd have to create yet another subcategory.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen06 View Post
    Pauline... I can't believe you're already almost out of the first trimester! It seems like you JUST found out you were pregnant. How have you been feeling? I'm sure you're still bursting with happiness, so sickness probably hasn't gotten the better of you (if you've even had any at all). Is this your first? Keep us updated.
    Sorry Jen I've not been on in a bit, too busy sleeping lol I can't believe it either! In one way it's dragged but its also weird thinking i'n now a third of the way through! I had my 12 weeks dating scan yesterday, i've scanned the picture on to the p.c so i'll do another post with that on and also an update on how i've been

I can't wait to read! I'm so happy for you!
    Jennifer

My Emet Vlog: