Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Is this really true?

I've read alot of places here on the forum that it is impossible to catch a stomach bug unless you digest particles of the infected v* or d* of the person who has it. The last time I had a stomach bug I caught it from my friend who works at a day-care center, and I caught it from him before he had had v* or d*.. It might have been something else than the n-virus, I don't know. But I'm sure it wasn't anxiety, I actually did have a stomach virus. It's possible I caught it some other way than through him, but he was sick the same night we met (later that night) and so was I (I didnt v* just d* and constant n*).

What do you guys mean when you say you can't possibly catch it before the person has v* or d*? Does this count only for the n-virus, or what? I would really like to know.

Default Re: Is this really true?

I think it's stomach viruses in general. I don't know a whole lot about Noro in particular (another question from me, is Noro in the US the same as Gastro in Australia?) but it's true as far as I know that you do have to ingest the virus. It means that if someone has vomited, perhaps wiped their mouth and not washed their hands properly, then you touch something, or touched your hand, and then you put your fingers in your mouth or on your lips when you eat, and you ingest the virus. Washing your hands before you eat, and perhaps when you get home from being out can help protect you from this though.

Perhaps you caught the virus from somewhere else then? Maybe someone you'd had contact with had the virus and you didn't know it, like a checkout girl, someone on the street.

I hope I cleared up a bit. I could be wrong, as well, I'm not nearly as well versed on the ways of the stomach virus as some on here

I believe it depends on the virus. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that when you have one virus, you are only contagious once you have symptoms (I think this is norovirus). So if you are around a person BEFORE they have symptoms, you will not get sick. If you are around them WHILE they are sick, you are at risk of getting sick. The other virus (I think rotavirus) makes people contagious before they actually have symptoms. This virus is nasty because it can be spread so easily and the person has no idea they are infecting others. I believe, however, that norovirus is much more common in adults. My mother was sick 2 years ago. Before she had symptoms we shared food and drink. I did not get sick from her because she was not contagious at that time. She was sick at my house, but I cleaned everything and sprayed Lysol everywhere and I did not get sick.

It's really only if you come in contact with the fecal or V particles. If you've gotten sick from somebody before they show symptoms, you probably caught it from another source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think Rota is the virus that is much more common in children and less common in adults.

Quote Originally Posted by perksofcharlie View Post
    I think Rota is the virus that is much more common in children and less common in adults.
    Yes, that's true. Rota is very uncommon in adults, since most of us already had it as kids. Further, when adults do get it, it's usually mild.

Someone above asked if gastro and noro are the same, yes and no. Gastro, short for gastroenteritis refers to inflammation of the intestines causing sv symptoms. This covers pretty much all stomach ailments from stomach flu to food poisoning. Norovirus is the most common form of contagious gastroenteritis.

Yes it's true that you have to ingest the vomit or fecal matter, however, it doesn't have to be visible. If someone had either substance on their hands and then touched something without washing their hands first, that can transfer the virus to that surface and you can catch it that way. It is not airborne, you have to actually get it in your mouth somehow (say with touching a contaminated surface then touching your mouth). With all the hype though, most people don't catch this very often. Children get it far more often than adults. Most people I know only get it once every 4-8 years. It's not as common as colds.