Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Pregnancy and Emetophobia.

Hey all,

Just needed help on something. I am 21, and in 3/4 years I would love to start planning a family with my Boyfriend, But obviously I am petrified of Morning S*.

I know Anti-Emetics will help, but they surely wouldn't give them me until I had V* at least once, or until it was putting harm and stress on the baby?

I mean I know this sounds really daft, but it is seriously putting me off having a baby. I've even been thinking of adoption or asking my sister to be a surrogate. My mother didn't suffer with morning s* at all with my sister or me, but my boyfriends mum had it really really badly.

I really don't know the facts on this, I don't want to miss out on starting a family because of this fear, but I feel I have no choice, please help!

Default Re: Pregnancy and Emetophobia.

I know how you feel. There are all sorts of things to help you through that IF you even have it. I had 2 girls and did not v* at all. I did feel n* sometimes, but now they have preggy pops, ginger gum and even wrist bands that you can wear. The important thing is to not let yourself get too hungry, I had to eat alot in the beginning so I wouldn't feel bad, even if it is just crackers and I drank ginger ale too. Good luck and do not let this phobia stop you!

Thank you ashley11 xx

My girlfriend and I are looking at about the same thing, but I'm the emetophobic, and she's the one who says she'll want help when she has morning sickness. :P

It may down to genes whether or not you get morning sickness, as I didn`t have it, & neither did my mother when she was having me.

Thing is a get really bad motion sickness, which is why I think I may get morning sickness, I know it sounds odd, but there may be summat there

I got through my entire pregnancy, labor and delivery without V* once! It it possible. And you never know, you might not even get morning sickness. Quite a few of my friends who were pregnant at the same time as me never had an ounce of N*.. lucky ducks!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    It may down to genes whether or not you get morning sickness, as I didn`t have it, & neither did my mother when she was having me.
    Genes have nothing to do with it. I thought so too but my doctor told me it's just a hit or miss thing. Every pregnancy is different. My mom didn't have the slightest bit of N* when she was pregnant with me, not even heartburn. Me on the other hand, I was N* all day every day (no V* though)
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Just want to add my two cents here. It IS possible to get through pregnancy and delivery without nausea and vomiting, BUT you will never escape the fact that your child WILL get sick while growing up, guaranteed, and you CAN catch things while taking care of them. Think LONG and HARD about that and how you feel about coping with that, or you will have a whole other set of issues to deal with that will affect other people besides yourself

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    Just want to add my two cents here. It IS possible to get through pregnancy and delivery without nausea and vomiting, BUT you will never escape the fact that your child WILL get sick while growing up, guaranteed, and you CAN catch things while taking care of them. Think LONG and HARD about that and how you feel about coping with that, or you will have a whole other set of issues to deal with that will affect other people besides yourself
    My brother and I were never ill as young kids so it's definately not a guaranteed. A lot of it depends on exposure to other kids and the environment you were raised in (i.e neither my brother of I attended day care or socialized with large groups of children). Of course people will say kids seem to get sick more these days than they used to.

When I did get s* (only one occasion) it was my dad who helped me, but only because my mum was already s*. If you have a supportive relationship with your partner and fully inform them of your concens - perhaps they will assign themself to looking after the kids when they get ill. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal to non-emets.

Nobody in my family got morning sickness while pregnant so I'm assuming I won't either..but there are lots of remedies - eating dry crackers in the morning, drinking ginger ale, sucking on mints, preggie pops (I think they're called) and if you do get n*, a doctor will still prescribe anti-emets. Or you could lie and just say you have v* a few times.

I have 15 year old son,..9 year old daughter and 4 year old daughter. I never got sick one time. If you will just explain to your Dr. about your phobia he will understand. They gave me Zofran from the beginning and its a wonder drug and safe. It taargets the part of your brain that causes gag reflex. All three pregnancies my Dr. did c sections and admitted me the night before and loaded me up with aniemetics that were safe and they worked. Growing up everyone knew I would never be able to have kids but with very understanding Dr.s,....and meds that are safe,....my dream came true 3 times. Most people with emetophobia don't get sick anyway. We just live each moment as if we are just about to!! I wouldn't lie to you. I have had 3 babies and not once got sick!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by derm_st View Post
    I have 15 year old son,..9 year old daughter and 4 year old daughter. I never got sick one time. If you will just explain to your Dr. about your phobia he will understand. They gave me Zofran from the beginning and its a wonder drug and safe. It taargets the part of your brain that causes gag reflex. All three pregnancies my Dr. did c sections and admitted me the night before and loaded me up with aniemetics that were safe and they worked. Growing up everyone knew I would never be able to have kids but with very understanding Dr.s,....and meds that are safe,....my dream came true 3 times. Most people with emetophobia don't get sick anyway. We just live each moment as if we are just about to!! I wouldn't lie to you. I have had 3 babies and not once got sick!!!!
    I'm curious as to how you handle things when your kids get sick?

[QUOTE=pretendworld_;321001]

When I did get s* (only one occasion) it was my dad who helped me, but only because my mum was already s*. If you have a supportive relationship with your partner and fully inform them of your concens - perhaps they will assign them self to looking after the kids when they get ill. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal to non-emets.

I know that my partner will have to be the one looking after the kids when they are sick, even though I would really want to look after them, I told him before, I will deal with anything, but the second I think it's a tummy bug, it's his job! x

Actually I read somewhere that the vast vast vast majority of emets make it through pregnancy and labor without v*. And doctors do not want to see anyone miserable, just ask for anti emetics before hand and I'm sure they'll give them to you. Doctors tend to overprescribe not under-prescribe.

i had the same dillema, i felt sick for about 6 weeks in the first tirmester, i lived on anti-emets for that period, i was also worried about the labour if i was going to v*, i was worried about the pain relief, incase i v* when issued, i was worried about the injection they give you for the placenta, you named it i was worrieed about the whole thing and everything to go with it..... i was a basket case while pregnant and every couple of weeks i broke down in tears because of the concerns and anxiety surrounding the possibilty of what might happened...... but i went through the labour without pain relief, due to that fact that the midwife couldn't issue a anti-emet with the pain relief and also because the labour was just way too fast - and i told the mid-wiffe don't give me the injection for the placenta until i can get a shot of the anti-emet with it...... so i made it through with a beautiful baby girl..... and a very positive birth experience, i have the same concerns for my next pregnancy, i don't think that changes...... but you will make it and what you have at the end is worth it.

i hope this helps

ill never have kids the thought of sorting them out when their sick is just too much whether it is my own flesh and blood - my mates kid has SV at the moe and she hasnt stopped being sick for 5 days straight - she said her house is a bomb site and stinks because of it - id NEVER be able to cope with that id end up jumping off a bridge! Sad really cause id have liked to have maybe had a baby later on in life (im 26) but now i just think theres more than having kids to life, like travelling, hobbies, having lots of mates and i suppose being selfish by doing what i want illness free for the rest of my life xx