Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New here

Default New here

Hello everyone im new to the forum. My names denzel and im a 28 yr old male. i just stumbled across this forum. Im literally sittin here crying rite now because for the first time since i was a little kid i feel like im not alone and there may be some hope for me to still have a normal life. Pretty much as far back as i can remember i have been affraid of throwing up/gettin sick. It has completey consumed my entire life. I didnt graduate highschool, got my ged tho. Ive only had a few jobs, none lasted very long. i still live home with dad. I could leave but im affraid to because of gettin sick. i live almost every moment of my life in fear. Ive thought of so many different things over the years that could be wrong with me from depression to ocd to ibs but at the end of it all i always knew that it all came down to my fear of gettin sick and throwing up. I have never been diagnosed with anything mostly due to the fact that im affraid to go to doctors/hospitals. i only go if i absolutey have to. i barely even leave my house. A few months ago everyone in my house had a 24 hour stomache virus, it was worse for me then the rest, i threw up for 17 hours straight and ended up in the hospital over night. ive always eatin very lil, friends say i eat like a bird. but now it got worse and i have no appetite, last night was the first time i ate in 3 days. I started reading a little on this forum and i have almost every single symptom of this, severe panic attacks, stomache issues im sure you all know the list goes on....ok i could go on and on but i feel like im writing to much now im just very happy i found this forum. i would like to thank who ever started and maintains it. hopefully i can find some sort of help and possibly start a real life.

Default Re: New here

Welcome Denzel. I have been where you are. Not eating for days, living in total fear ALL the time. I also lived at home with my Mother till I was about 25. I'm 33 now and feel like I have overcome alot. All though I still struggle with panic attacks and overwhelming thoughts, they have lessened over the years.
    I hope you do find help and comfort here. This really is a great place and has helped me tons.

welcome to the forum.......like you i also cried when i found this place.....such a relief. i've found lots of help here and there's always someone here if you're having a rough time......

i know for me that prozac has been my miracle drug......got me out of my house and back to work after a bad emet period in my life.......keeps me from obsessing about it 24/7. most days i feel almost normal and when i do have a scare i can usually keep from going into a full grown panic attack.....

good luck here and again, welcome
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Denzel, welcome. There is a lot of comfort in knowing you're not alone, because in real life, that's exactly what it feels like! I too have been exactly where you are. Unable to work, terrified to eat and being sickly-skinny, all kinds of stomach issues like chronic 24/7 nausea for months at a time, and daily diarrhea, terrified of being around anyone who had been sick. It's an awful awful way to live!

But there is hope. You can get better if you're willing to slowly start facing the things you avoid (and I don't mean vomiting), step out of your comfort zone a little bit at a time, and challenge this fear. You can regain your life back. I'm not fully recovered yet (not even close) but I'm a hell of a lot better than I was a few years ago and I'm working hard doing these things so that I can be completely recovered. It's not easy, but it's working. I definitely see the difference, even though not every day is positive, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, again, welcome and know that yes you can get better. A lot better.

Hi Denzel, sorry to hear you had such a horrible experience a few months back. I hope you find lots of help and support on the site, I'm sure you will