Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Shellfish Question

Hi!

My father in-law cooked Shellfish this evening (Lobster Tails). He touched them raw with his hands as he placed them on the grill. He did not wash them as he came inside. He touched the door knob with the hands that he touched the shellfish with without washing his hands. What is the likelihood that his hands contained the norovirus from the shellfish? Do all shellfish have norovirus?

Default Re: Shellfish Question

I didn't know shellfish ever had norovirus. Oh the things I miss out on in my little vegan bubble!
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

No. The vast vast vast vast vast vast vast majority of shellfish do not have norovirus. And it's only oysters that really carry it, and you have to actually eat them raw to catch it. Raw oysters carry it since they grow close to shore, and if they are next to raw sewage they suck up that water and their innards are contaminated. I've eaten raw oysters and raw clams and been fine. Calling them all shellfish is a bit strange, since lobsters and crabs and shrimp aren't even remotely related to bivalve shellfish like oysters. They don't hang out by sewer outputs, and they only way they could have norovirus is for a food handler to put it on them (just like with any other food whether it be veggie or French fry). The only reason that they are all called shellfish is because they both have the same protein that some people are allergic to. But in terms of food groups, they are not even close to the same. It's like comparing a cow to a lizard. Further when you steam or boil any type of shellfish it gets plenty hot enough to kill anything. In short, don't worry at all about it. The only type of shellfish that has norovirus is a raw oyster, and it's a tiny chance even with that.

my mom recently got very ill from some oysters. She thinks it might be a new allergy, as she got sick eating them the previous time, too

Quote Originally Posted by coolclimates View Post
    my mom recently got very ill from some oysters. She thinks it might be a new allergy, as she got sick eating them the previous time, too
    People can have some nasty reactions to sea food! I get nervous eating sea food! Not sure if I even like it anymore...

Sea food used to be the healthier choice... now it has all kinds of risks from heavy metals, to accumulation of antibiotics, to filter feeder contamination... good thing I never cared much for it!
    But to answer your question... I don't think you have much to worry about. I think the grill probably seared off any surface bacteria that might have transferred over. And sustained heat kills any on the inside too! Best of luck!