Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Coddling the phobia

We emetophobes have been through hell and back, so to speak.

And I'm just so tired of my hamster wheel; that being, the cycle, the pattern, the obsession with vomit. I've come to a conclusion that I have, namely, two options. Either induce vomiting or catch a bug. It's not even worth mentioning that the latter is probably the most heinous of these two (last case scenario, right?), it kind of just goes without saying.

But I've had my nose on the grindstone for too long, coddling this disease, and I am losing sanity and patience.

Default Re: Coddling the phobia

Skinnypuppy, I agree! I've just started a thread today on a similar subject in this forum, on a possible solution to the problem of streaks. I don't know if that's quite what you're thinking of, but I agree with your conclusion (even if you arrived at it via a different route to me) that an unhealthy obsession with NOT being sick (however much this sounds like and is how people with this phobia see the world) is ironically the whole problem.

I'm seeing a general therapist right now to try and work out the causes of this wretched phobia and will soon start CBT to attack the symptoms and one conclusion I've already drawn for myself is that, however natural it may sound, my total focus on "my wonderful streak must never end" is actually what keeps the phobia alive.

Default Re: Coddling the phobia

I feel the same. Everyday it's all I think about it. It's getting really old. It's already caused me to miss so much school, and other things. It controls every part of my life. I'm done with this, I'm taking my life back.