Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What do you do when you feel REALLY n*?

I just sit in the bathroom and wait it out while thinking about how death would be a better option. I love life and I'm not suicidal but it pretty much says how bad I feel.

Default Re: What do you do when you feel REALLY n*?

I can't even get close to the bathroom when I'm nauseous. I feel like it's an invitation to v* and I just can't let that cross my mind. I try to distract myself by deep breathing, sipping water, ice, mint gum, running out the door outside to do a full blown panic if I feel it is too intense. I fight it so hard to the point that I just wish it would hurry and go away not matter how the outcome is.

First thing I do, wash my hands and take two ginger pills. Then if it's REALLY bad I'll take an anti-emetic (the ginger will calm your stomach down since it works on the stomach and doesn't need to be absorbed, so my hope is it will help the anti-emetic get absorbed if my stomach has stopped digesting). Then my next move depends on whether it's winter or not. When I start feeling really bad I go take a good book (or my laptop with a DVD) and go sit on the porch. I bring a trash bag too. Being outside immediately makes me feel at ease about getting sick. Weirdest thing, but when I'm outside my phobia lessens a LOT (to the point where I'm almost OK with getting sick). That means my anxiety goes away, and then my nausea goes away largely too. A lot of times I'll wait awhile, and then walk around to see if I can make myself burp. I know it sounds weird, but if I can burp it makes me feel 99% better. If it's cold, I'll sit outside until either the nausea has lessened or I am shivering so hard I can't feel the nausea anymore (for some reason freezing seems to make you not sick anymore, weird). Then I'll come inside, watch Sex and the City on DVD (it's my comfort, and it makes me go into a weird happy trance no matter what) until I feel well enough to sleep. And that's my crazed OCD thing.

Fortunately, I practically never feel really nauseous,but some years ago when I did, because of some medication that I was on, I just fought it off, then took an anti-emet. it worked.

Im the same way mike, Ill sit in the bathroom to make sure I only will puke in the toliet and start thinking about rather dying even though Im not suicidal, I also have nausa pills that Ill take, and sometimes I pray to not puke, lol.
    -тσяι

First wave of nausea I have to leave that location and take my antiemetics as quick as possible. I take Zofran and Xanax under my tongue because it bypasses digestion process. I then find the quickest way to cool my body down fast. At home, I wet my hair and get in the car and turn the air conditioner on full blast! I dont have a walk in freezer so its the quickest way to bring my body temperature down as quick as possible.,,,which seems to be a major factor in making the N decrease....and it slows my heart rate.
    I cannot go in the bathroom as well or be near a trash can or any kind of container because in my mind,..its like saying I might do it and thats just not the case. I too, have thought about dying even on several occasions and have overdosed a few times as well,...not having to go to the hospital or anything but I don't remember anything. I will be 40 in June and I have not done it since 1989 and Im still alive by the grace of God!

I haven't felt truly nauseated in over 10 years, but I follow the advice in my own Vomiting FAQ (see the link below). I take Pepto-Bismol and avoid any sudden breathing movements, including coughing and sneezing. (Before you can vomit, your body has to have a very deep breath. If you can keep that breath from happening, you can prevent vomiting.) I know someone who thought she had her nausea under control, then she had a really big sneeze and up came the puke.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I found that lowering my body temperature also helps with nausea.. anyone knows why?

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    I haven't felt truly nauseated in over 10 years, but I follow the advice in my own Vomiting FAQ (see the link below). I take Pepto-Bismol and avoid any sudden breathing movements, including coughing and sneezing. (Before you can vomit, your body has to have a very deep breath. If you can keep that breath from happening, you can prevent vomiting.) I know someone who thought she had her nausea under control, then she had a really big sneeze and up came the puke.

Doug

Sounds like you have the record so far! Curious, do you have panic attacks at all? Wish I could go 1 week without feeling nauseated!!! I have a strong adversion to Pepto-Bismol because the last time I got sick which was April 1989,...it was about 30 minutes after I had taken a dose of it!! I swore from that day I would never touch the stuff again and so far I have managed not to get sick!!

Samantha

No, I don't have panic attacks. You can get Pepto-Bismol in cherry flavor too. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post

Doug
    No more deep breathing for me when i feel nauseous!!
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by aurora0917 View Post
    No more deep breathing for me when i feel nauseous!!
    Deep breathing helps me ALOT, when I'm on the very tip of being sick (just anxiety, but it sure feels like I'm gonna get sick), I try to take deep, calm breaths and it helps. Panic-breathing is NOT good, it will only make you dizzy and maybe even feel more n*. The first think I try to do when I have panic is to get my breathing under control, and it helps me a lot.

I had an episode of real nausea three weeks ago. I didn't really do anything except cry and panic. It woke me from sleep, so I wasn't at all prepared and there was nothing I could do but wait for it to pass. I always pace, or sit on the floor with my head down. After it had eased a little, I took a Phenergan and it knocked me out.

CherBirdie, if I woke up in the middle of the night with true nausea, I would down 1-2 tbl of Pepto-Bismol fast. I would also be ready with the Dramamine suppositories I have on hand but have never had to use.

Doug

I've never had any pepto; I've never even seen it in any stores over here. Also, I really don't think I could've forced it down. I could barely swallow two sips of water trying to get the Phenergan down. I don't have any suppositories either. I don't think it was an sv; it lasted about 45 mins, and didn't come back again.

I rarely get this feeling, but if you are on the verge, I find staring at something clean and happy and concentrating on that along with rubbing my throat really helps. Sounds weird, but this stopped me from vomiting when I had norovirus...so I guess I was doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeHerProud View Post
    I rarely get this feeling, but if you are on the verge, I find staring at something clean and happy and concentrating on that along with rubbing my throat really helps. Sounds weird, but this stopped me from vomiting when I had norovirus...so I guess I was doing something right.
    That sounds like a great tip. I had the norovirus over Christmas and wasn't very successful with preventing the dreaded v* from coming up. If i'm ever unfortunate enough to get it again, i will try this!
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

I'm addicted to chewing gum. It sounds strange but the ONLY thing that makes me feel better and gets rid of my nauseousness/worry is peppermint chewing gum.

I think it's because when i was at my worst with the emet, and wasn't eating (I was 6/7 stone and a size 6) all I would put in my mouth was chewing gum..

Still carry it with me, ALWAYS, just incase I start panicking!

Weird how something so simple can make me feel so much more at ease.

It's just so comforting to read that there are other people like me out there. It too have tried all these methods to quell N*. I always have to get away from whatever situation I am in, I run outside and try to get as cold as possible. I pace, bite my hand (till it bleeds sometimes), play Freecell on my computer, and focus focus focus. I feel very anxious if I don't have my anti-emetics with me. I also find that hitting my sternum helps - it's yoga technique which stimulates something behind your sternum (can't remember it's name) - but it's meant to fix your immune system.
    I hate having people around me when I am N* - I just want silence and I go totally into the zone.....I'd rather die too, than V*

Quote Originally Posted by gretelmonster View Post
    It's just so comforting to read that there are other people like me out there. It too have tried all these methods to quell N*. I always have to get away from whatever situation I am in, I run outside and try to get as cold as possible.I hate having people around me when I am N* - I just want silence and I go totally into the zone.....I'd rather die too, than V*
    I am completely the same as you in that respect ^^. If I start to feel sick I immediately start to panic which makes me want to run away from what i'm doing and being alone helps me too, I just want silence.. I can't deal with people trying to talk me around or even hug because that makes me feel worse. I am also the same as the girl who posted on here saying that chewing peppermint gum helps, it helps me too.. along with sipping freezing cold water. Being out in the cold makes me feel less sick actually aswell, the colder I am the better as I tend to just focus on being cold and the nausea slowly slips away (most of the time). So as you are able to see from all the posts on this thread, you're certainly not alone and it's interesting to see that we all share some of the same distraction techniques as eachother to draw ourselves away from nausea and the dreaded vomiting.

I was just n* last night. It wasnt a horrible situation but i got it under control before it got bad and i somehow kept myself from going into a panic. What I did/do is get in my jacuzzi tub with my anit-emetics on the side of the tub in arms reach. I can sit there for hours. If I am at a point of panic, or almost going to V i can not get in the tub, i have to go outside, i freak out and pace until i can calm down enough to sit down. Then i just try to burp, hoping its just gas. I dont like to go near the bathroom when it get this bad because i am afraid thats my invitation to get sick, i mean i may as well, i am here right? so I avoid that like a plague! I too can not stand for people to be talking around me or especially to me. Telling me that it will be ok cause they have no idea....it wont be ok! Does anything really work on a an sv? Other than meds i mean. Last year i had an sv and nothing helped except the zofran, and it only helped me to not v, i was still sick feeling and my stomach hurt really bad. It was MISRABLE even thought i didnt v. I am thankful not having to V but I wonder if there is a way to make the nausea go away too.

Agree with some of the posters on here about having to be cold when I feel sick, which is a habit that goes back to childhood and the need to "get some fresh air". The time of year is irrelevant - if it means standing outside the back door for half an hour at past midnight in the middle of January, then so be it!

I also can’t stand to be around anyone else or do anything as I can't concentrate on reading or the TV if I'm feeling ill. No, feeling queasy is an entirely private thing for me. Being around other people just seems to make it worse for some reason, presumably because I don’t want to be reminded of the lucky ones who don't feel ill!

Iagain...I agree with several posts.....

Just today I was in the middle of grocery shopping at walmart and BAM out of nowhere this god-awful *n just about overwhelms me.....so I immediately start shallow (not deep) breathing and telling myself "you Are NOT going to v*"

I pop a peppermint (I used to chew gum until my tmj got too bad) and concentrate on getting out there. All the while the cashier is talking to me ugh! Any other time it would been ok.... so I could get to the car and blast the ac.....so funny how we all do the same things. I thought it was just me

Love reading all your suggestions here.. I might have to try a few. Thought i would share some of mine which i go into before i take the measure to pop the antiemetics (I hate putting any pills in my body unless i HAVE to.. and i once became addicted to antiemetics so i try to go for as long as i can without them first)

** The chewing gum thing has helped me a lot in the past - haven't used this as a method for a long time though, although i would constantly chew on peppermint gum on the 2.5hr long drives to and from the country when i lived/worked with my now husband a few years ago.

**Sitting outside getting the fresh air, it's amazing what difference it can make... Also even going for a walk/taking the dog

**Anything besides staying in the one spot!! (pacing like a loony works well for this)

**If its during the night i get up out of bed and watch tv/internet or even if its 3am in the morning i have been known to clean my oven inside and out!

** Playing games whether it be in a book or on the PC or even just in my head.

And sometimes a HUGE cry like a loser actually feels like it washes away all the ikkiness i feel at times, probably just a anxiety reliever really!

i sometimes will try to take an antacid but know pretty mucha s soon as I taste it if I am THAT sick or not.. Sometimes I will stay in bed and moan and hate the world and deal with an insane stomach ache.. I have been known to make myself get sick just for relief (its the LAST resort, I HATE feeling sick) and if I am REALLY bad off, I will go sit in the bathroom.. i have to mentally prepare myself to vomit though....The last time I can account being that sick, I HAD to go into the bathroom and force myself to vomit.. I had to.. I was sick for almost 24 horus and i was sick of feeling sick. as soon as I vomited, I felt immedietly better and was fine. My phobia is more aimed toward other people getting sick.. i hate being sick too, there is no other illness that delibatates me as bad, but other people getting sick- thats scary.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCA View Post
    I just sit in the bathroom and wait it out while thinking about how death would be a better option. I love life and I'm not suicidal but it pretty much says how bad I feel.
    Hi guys Im sort of new to this website. Anyway, When I feel really N* I start to go crazy, I'll start pacing about my house just praying that I will feel better. However I do use an antiemetic drug known as Buccastem, this alone can diffuse anxiety, which always helps with N*

When I start panicking, I go to this site. Seems to help a lot!

My fear isn't v in general but doing it in front of other people, I would rather be in a tank of scorpions than do that in front of someone. So for me I have to get away from other people to a bathroom or somewhere I can v if I absolutely have to. Then I cool myself down by water from the sink or something.
    I agree with the post that said you have to be alone, I can't deal with other people when this is happening.

I just fight it through. I breath heavy, do some positive self-talk, turn on a video game, watch predictable tv, exercise, sip water, any anything else that will distract me from my n* and ideas of v*...

i sit in the bathroom with my shirt off and my arm above my head

because its physically impossible to V* while you have your right arm above your head