Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My birthday

My 20th birthday was just on Thursday of last week. Me and my older sister share the same birthday. We also have another older sister. Well the family "party" was on our real birthday and my older oldest sister couldnt come because of work. So we were going to do things seperately with her. Well she already saw my other sister on Saturday, and my saturday was supposted to be this weekend. She called last night to ask me when, and then told me that her husband has the flu, and I made up a lie saying i was busy. She knows about my emts, and doesnt get it at all. She makes fun of me and tells me nephew that I'm weird and a complainer. Any ways. I dont want to know the details of his sickness. Just how long, and when he is over it, and then how long should I wait to see them. I dont really want to see them, just curious of what my present it. but I dont really want it, since its in the house with his SICKNESS. Anyone ever been in this kind of situation? I'm scared to accept the gift. SHe and her family arent the cleanest people. And what if they are just going ot be carriers and not get sick. How long is enough time, especially if one of them gets sicks. Ah. this is scary.

First of all for your sister to tease you about this phobia is down right nasty.

It depends what he is sick with. Usually the flu tends to hit people in the family. Take for instance my family, my niece had it on the Thurs, then early Friday morning my nephew got it (christmas day) then around 6pm that night my other neice had it. When there is a flu in my family I wait for 2 days if no one else gets it then I feel everything is fine. For the present, just make sure you wash your hands. I always wash my hands not even when I am exposed to a virus. It is up to you. Hopefully someone will answer your post about the days when the bug isgone. I think it all depends what you have, could be 12 hour virus, 24 or 72 hour virus. Or the Norwalk Virus that has lasted 2 days. Depending how high your immune system is to fight off these bugs.

I hope you feel better, and don't listen to your sister!

does he have the FLU or a stomache virus? the FLU doesn't get your stomache. the Flu is strictly respritory. any V would be from a fever.

Here is some information; From CDC

What is viral gastroenteritis?

Gastroenteritis means inflammation of the stomach and small and large intestines. Viral gastroenteritis is an infection caused by a variety of viruses that results in vomiting or diarrhea. It is often called the "stomach flu," although it is not caused by the influenza viruses.
    What causes viral gastroenteritis?
    Many different viruses can cause gastroenteritis, including rotaviruses, adenoviruses, caliciviruses, astroviruses, Norwalk virus, and a group of Noroviruses. Viral gastroenteritis is not caused by bacteria (such as Salmonella or Escherichia coli) or parasites (such as Giardia), or by medications or other medical conditions, although the symptoms may be similar. Your doctor can determine if the diarrhea is caused by a virus or by something else.
    What are the symptoms of viral gastroenteritis?
    The main symptoms of viral gastroenteritis are watery diarrhea and vomiting. The affected person may also have headache, fever, and abdominal cramps ("stomach ache"). In general, the symptoms begin 1 to 2 days following infection with a virus that causes gastroenteritis and may last for 1 to 10 days, depending on which virus causes the illness.
    Is the illness contagious? How are these viruses spread?
    Yes, viral gastroenteritis is contagious. The viruses that cause gastroenteritis are spread through close contact with infected persons (for example, by sharing food, water, or eating utensils). Individuals may also become infected by eating or drinking contaminated foods or beverages
    How does food get contaminated by gastroenteritis viruses?
    Food may be contaminated by food preparers or handlers who have viral gastroenteritis, especially if they do not wash their hands regularly after using the bathroom. Shellfish may be contaminated by sewage, and persons who eat raw or undercooked shellfish harvested from contaminated waters may get diarrhea. Drinking water can also be contaminated by sewage and be a source of spread of these viruses
    Where and when does viral gastroenteritis occur?
    Viral gastroenteritis affects people in all parts of the world. Each virus has its own seasonal activity. For example, in the United States, rotavirus and astrovirus infections occur during the cooler months of the year (October to April), whereas adenovirus infections occur throughout the year. Viral gastroenteritis outbreaks can occur in institutional settings, such as schools, child care facilities, and nursing homes, and can occur in other group settings, such as banquet halls, cruise ships, dormitories, and campgrounds.
    [B]Can viral gastroenteritis