Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default how often is normal for children?

I have 3 young boys under age 10. It seems that every winter we go thru two bouts of vomiting that runs thru all of them. My wife is a fanatic about germs and goes thru disinfectant wipes like they were going out of style. She goes to great lengths including one use towels year round in the bathroom and kitchen. She throws out food long before we need to. Leftovers stay one day max in our house.
    These bouts typically start 6 hours after dinner while asleep, last hours to expel their entire stomach contents then a 2/3 day recovery. Usually the next child starts up the same cycle about a week later. We go thru this 3 child routine about twice a winter.

How normal is this?

Default Re: how often is normal for children?

To be honest, I don't think there is any such thing as what is 'normal' for children. What you're describing is probably a common scenario for a lot of families. I guess for some families this frequency per year would be normal whereas other families may experience the same thing more times in a year, and some less... It certainly doesn't sound abnormal, but it must be pretty awful for your family. Hopefully they'll all stay a little healthier now spring is here!

I have 2 kids, only my daugher has caught stomach bugs so far...she gets it atleast once every winter. usually starts in the middle of the night, then she is better within 24 hours, we are very careful so it usually does not spread to the rest of us.

Poo you, that sounds really awful, my daughter has suffered 2 tummy bugs in her life (shes 15) 1 that spread around the whole family and 1 that didnt (guessing that was rotavirus???) my son hasnt yet (hes 5) although hes been at various playgroups, hospitals and therapy groups. He will at some point but im very careful about getting him washing his hands as soon as playgroup ends, also teaching him to NOT put his fingers or anything other than food in this mouth and keeping him away from other sick kids. My neighbours little boy gets several tummy bugs a year, i guess it all depends on the individual child.