Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Do you let yourself v* or do anything to stop it??

For me when I know Im going to vomit I try and do everything I can to stop that from happening? Do you guys try to stop it or just let it happen?
    Last edited by toriroxsoutloud; 04-04-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    -тσяι

Default Re: Do you let yourself v* or do anything to stop it??

try and stop it always! id rather have the s***s then be sick! I do the deep breathing and pacing up and down to stop it! how do u stop it? xx

I think all emetophobics fight it as hard as they can. We wouldn't be emetophobics if we did what's apparently normal and vomited to make ourselves less nauseated.

I don't have a phobia of myself vomiting, but I do hold back longer than the average non-emet. I think my record is holding off for a few days (when I became ill in Egypt) before I finally gave in, and felt so much better after!

I don't take any anti-emetics except when I am given them by a health professional. Sometimes if I am feeling nauseated I will take Gaviscon to see if it is reflux related. Other than that, I just use willpower.

I fight it as hard as I can! Deep breaths and shaking. It's my body's natural response to fear but I find that the harder I shake, the less sick I feel. It's really odd.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

I fight with everything I have

Rebecca85, that's exactly what I do. I'm not afraid of getting sick myself, but I do tend to hold off for as long as I can before I give in. I just... don't vomit. That being said, I've only vomited twice since I was about three years old...

I do NOT let myself and it IS a fight. This is so embarrassing to admit but I had hid this for to long and a part of me says that just being honest to the core,...just admitting the TRUTH about how bad it is just may in fact help me,...but I have considered death in a few of those battles as my last weapon. I worry that is someone knows that they may lock me up and then I won't have my meds....and then what??? The quicker I am able to take my anti nausea meds when I feel it determines how bad of a fight it will be. One of the freaky things I do that seems to help the most is wetting my hair and getting in the car and turning the air conditioner on full blast. I actually start to FREEZE. Each degree I can lower my body temperature is one less degree the fear I have to fight...for what its worth.

By God's Grace

LOL Derm_st...not that it's funny but I once told my husband to "please kill me" during one episode, and was very serious. That's how freaking afraid I am of this. I will do anything and everything not to. Anti-emetics are a godsend.

Crazy isn't it?? Who was that,...Patrick Henry who said,..Give me liberty or give me death? I have said it a few times as well,....Samantha ( me ) saying,.....Give me freedom from fear or give me death!! Im still in this battle fighting for freedom and not just for me,...but for everyone in this society here. I care so much for everyone here and I don't really know any of you......but what I do know is I have something in common with everyone here and I don't feel like such a outcast or burden. I feel like someone finally understands who I really am and not what I appear to be. This is me. It feels so good to say that!!!!
    Interesting quote by the say about rocking. I will be 40 in June and since I was a baby in my crib,...I have rocked myself to sleep my whole life. I usually lay on my side with my hands under my cheek and just move my body back and forth until I drift off to sleep. One of the reasons I did not spend the night with very many people growing up and the ones I did were made aware of in advance...how I rock to sleep as not to scare anyone. It has kept my husband up more in the last 17 years than in his whole life he complains...LOL!! Also,...not sure if this means anything but until I was about 6,...I banged my head pretty hard against the bed post as it seemed to put me to sleep. Im on a trail here,...hmmm.....body rocking,...head banging,...up until the time this phobia started in my life. Do you think it is possible that I might have had this even as a baby??? Maybe I felt this way back then and since I could not verbalize my feelings I just rocked or banged my head.....to distract me from the phobia. The head banging stopped a out the time this phobia started. Maybe I was trying to knock myself out back then as well you think?

Fortunately I don't get nauseated a lot. The few times I have been really nauseated, I have been able to fight it off. But I suspect that it has to do with the reason you would get sick in the first place (for instance, with a panic attack or trauma I can usually calm myself down enough so the nausea goes away). However if it is food poisoning (I did get sick from that once and it sucked), I'm not sure if it would be possible to hold it or not. I imagine holding it would be torture... but like I said I don't get nauseated often

I would fight it to the death if i could.

According to a survey I did, about 9% of emets let themselves vomit when they're feeling severely nauseated. But only 4% don't fight nausea at all. I guess that means 5% of emets let themselves puke after fighting it for a while. But 65% of non-emets end their nausea by letting themselves vomit. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

during my bug last week, i fought it once, and then in between that wave of having to be sick and the next one, i made the choice to let it happen, and i did. pretty crappy 30 seconds, but i DID feel better. I avoided so much anxiety just letting it happen.

Though it's way easier to say now. Last week I was still a crying mess!

Yea like I read on here a while ago that alot of emet's dont fight it but I almost always do until I cant fight anymore. And yea i thought it was weird if they have this phobia and dont fight vomiting.
    -тσяι

I'm mostly scared of me v* - I can't contemplate the thought. I fight nausea to the death as well - or to pulled hair and scratched hands! Even when I was retching a few weeks ago, I was trying to stop that by swallowing and shutting my mouth and grabbing my stomach. It really hit home to me that it was a reflex reaction I couldn't stop, like when someone hits you in that spot below the kneecap.

That said, I had severe nausea for about 15 hours solid a few weeks before that, and it was so miserable. It wasn't quite bad enough for me to panic, but I was thinking to myself that if I was brave enough, I'd rather just be sick and feel better. That experience kind of made me understand why some non-emets cave in so easily!

What do you mean reflex and describe what you mean by retching?

I always fight it, because Itend to think that I should be in control of my body, & I`d be really hacked off at myself if I couldn`t stop it. I have lost control a few times when I was younger, but I think that I`m able to prevent vting more easily now, especially now that I would use anti emets, which I didn`t in the past.

fight it to death.. i attempted suicide last time i was actually going to v* last august........i dont think i v*....but not too sure cuz i passed out from blood loss and woke up in the ICU....
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

i would think 99.9% of emets that feared themselves v*ing would do ANYTHING in their power to stop it...
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

The thing is, sometimes it's not controllable, so it's not a matter of doing anything to stop it. The last time I vomited, I woke up, and it happened. I had no chance to try and stop it. The time before that, I was quite young, but it was so sudden and so violent that there was no way I could have stopped it. I know a lot of people on here would call me weak for that, and I don't really care, I've had a heated discussion on here with someone before, but I think that if you're going to vomit, it's going to happen. If your body REALLY needs to get rid of something, no amount of trying is going to stop it.

I keep myself from v* as long as possible. I'm not even sure how to let my mind go enough and actually do it. I've tried several times to just say, and it's pretty funny hearing me talk to myself at these times, "Okay, you can do this. Everyone does it and they usually feel better afterwards. You can do it!" But then I'm like NOPE and fight it until it goes away.

And like the few of you, I have wished death instead of v*.

It's not a weakness, it's just something some people can do and something some people can't. And the people who can, certainly can't stop it every time. For instance if you drink too much, there is nothing you can do whatsoever. And you shouldn't try to stop it or you could get alcohol poisoning. Stomach bugs on the other hand aren't resolved that way, just like colds aren't resolved through blowing your nose, and many times it is possible to stop that happening.
    Last edited by person54321; 04-21-2011 at 09:39 AM.

I have managed to stopmyself vting when drunk in the past. The only times that I din`t was when I didn`t feel any nausea beforehand, & I was taken by surprise.