Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default misdiagnosis of OCD not emet... what do i do now?

Hi all.

I've been looking for ways to beat this thing, and recently i opted into an evaluation at a university's anxiety center. They evaluate you and then diagnose you, and place with you a therapist.

However, they diagnosed me strictly with OCD, no mention of a phobia. The evaluator (a Doctor) said he'd talk to whoever I was placed with and tell them of my leanings toward specific phobia. He also said this: "Because you mentioned that you have vomited, it makes no sense that you have not been relieved of your phobia. This is another reason why the OCD diagnosis fits." Mind you, I have thrown up only twice since a young child, once do to alcohol, and the second time a lactose intolerancy reaction, which has made my emet out of control since June '10/

Isn't it very common for us emets to show signs of OCD? My phobia (which I've had since I was 8, now 24) predates any OCD tendencies, which were developed over the years and not til I was older.

I'm just so frustrated. I thought I was heading in the right direction but now it just seems hopeless. How can I get help for this even they won't acknowledge I have emet? I'm not going to accept their services, but finding specific phobia help elsewhere is looking grim.

Help!

Default Re: misdiagnosis of OCD not emet... what do i do now?

Yes it is VERY common, in fact most emets do have ocd. Your doctor has a strategy that does not work. v*ing will not always get you over this phobia, and can sometimes make it worse. Go find another place. They obviously don't know what there talking about. You know yourself better than anyone. If you think you have emet, don't stop until you can find a reliable source. My prayers are with you. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thank you very much for sending your positive energies my way and your kind words! i fully 100% know i have emet, and touches of OCD, but what i need to be treated for (what is taking over my life) is the emet and not OCD. so frustrating when the people who are supposed to help you seem to not have any idea how to deal with it!

I hear ya! My therapist tried to tell me the other day that I don't have emetophobia and that it's just OCD regarding all germs. Which is complete and utter BS as I could lick a lollipop made of influenza germs all day long and not be bothered, it's just noro germs that I hate the thought of!

I argued with her, saying my phobia has CAUSED my OCD symptoms and in fact, since I started therapy, I actually hardly have OCD at all now and have cut my rituals and obsessions down by around 80%... but whaddayaknow, despite a huge improvement in the OCD, the vomit phobia is still there. Of course it is, because I'm emetophobic!

You know better than anyone if you have emet or not, don't let a doctor (who is unlikely to have any experience whatsoever with emet anyway) tell you different. Can you get a second opinion? I know you say there's not much other help available to you in your area but maybe you could go a little further afield? In the meantime, working on the OCD (even though it's not the root of the problem) is still a step in the right direction

I'd get a second opinion. I don't have OCD and I do have Emet. My Emet isn't comorbid with anything, any anxiety I have is directly related to it, but I don't have panic disorder or anxiety disorder or anything else.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

I was diagnosed with a form of OCD called PANDAS which is triggered by the strep virus. They gave me a therapist for it and all she focused on was the OCD. I didn't have any horrible OCD problems only tht i checked all the dates on foods before i ate them. They kept focusing on the OCD and i was like thts not the problem! its my emetophobia! So they prescribed me with meds, with side effects?.... v*, i got so mad, some doctors dont understand. :O

I think that pretty much everyone with emet has at least a little bit of OCD... In my opinion, anyways, but I've always been told the best way to treat the OCD is to look at the deeper causes, not the OCD itself...

omg chickman, I'm sorry but that dr. is an idiot. Case in point: "You've been in a plane crash twice already so it makes no sense you're still afraid of it." or perhaps "You've been raped twice now so you shouldn't be afraid of it anymore." WTH?

Sorry, but people who "dabble" in diagnosis shouldn't be practicing. You may indeed have OCD - many emetophobes do. And OCD is another anxiety disorder that is treated much the same as a specific phobia, so there's no harm in that. I would just seriously question this doctor's reasoning.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

omg chickman, I'm sorry but that dr. is an idiot. Case in point: "You've been in a plane crash twice already so it makes no sense you're still afraid of it." or perhaps "You've been raped twice now so you shouldn't be afraid of it anymore." WTH?

Sorry, but people who "dabble" in diagnosis shouldn't be practicing. You may indeed have OCD - many emetophobes do. And OCD is another anxiety disorder that is treated much the same as a specific phobia, so there's no harm in that. I would just seriously question this doctor's reasoning.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.