Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Has anyone used..

Hey there, I was wondering if anyone else on here uses Buccastem? The anti vomiting tablets? I've recently started taking them after my next door neighbour gave me a few to try, to see if they made me feel any better and they actually do. They put my mind at rest as to whether I will be sick or not, and I havent so far *touches wood* So, I wanted to know if anyone has been using them for a long time & how effective do you find them to be?

Default Re: Has anyone used..

1. In the UK, prochlorperazine maleate is available as Buccastem M in buccal form as an over-the-counter treatment for migraine.[4] In this indication it blocks the chemoreceptor trigger zone (CTZ) in the brain, which is responsible for causing severe nausea and vomiting. Its OTC use is strictly restricted to a maximum of 2 days, because of the potentially severe side effects of prochlorperazine, which mandate supervision by a health care provider.
    i had never heard of that drug so i googled it......i copied a bit and am pasting it here....sounds like you aren't supposed to take it for long periods of time......try googling and read up if noone else can tell you more about it...
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    1. In the UK, prochlorperazine maleate is available as Buccastem M in buccal form as an over-the-counter treatment for migraine.[4] In this indication it blocks the chemoreceptor trigger zone (CTZ) in the brain, which is responsible for causing severe nausea and vomiting. Its OTC use is strictly restricted to a maximum of 2 days, because of the potentially severe side effects of prochlorperazine, which mandate supervision by a health care provider.

i had never heard of that drug so i googled it......i copied a bit and am pasting it here....sounds like you aren't supposed to take it for long periods of time......try googling and read up if noone else can tell you more about it...
    Ahh, thankyou for your help

In most countries that drug is available by prescription only. You should only take them if you feel you really truly need them at the time.

its a terrible habit to take up.. when i was preggo w/ my third child, i took zofran w/out fail every 8 hours....go so constipated i felt sick..now, i only use it if i feel like im going to panic because of my upset stomach.
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

A drug that suppresses the CTZ is mostly useful for preventing nausea and vomiting from a chemical source, like a drug that you know causes nausea. If you're already nauseated from whatever cause, you're better off with a drug that directly suppresses the vomiting center, like Dramamine/Gravol or Pepto-Bismol, to name only two non-prescription ones.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thankyou all for your replies, i'm currently using something I managed to get over the counter called Motilium.. it's ok, but i've been in such a state of panic/my anxiety has pretty much taken over these past 24 hours, so i've not really felt much comfort from them. Thanks again.

Whenever people sound nauseated from anxiety I always like to recommend ginger pills. They are just powdered ginger, the same stuff you eat, so it's fine to take them just for anxiety related nausea. However, ginger pills are very potent anti-nausea drugs. They give them to cancer patients with a lot of success. Some patients rated them higher than prescriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    Whenever people sound nauseated from anxiety I always like to recommend ginger pills. They are just powdered ginger, the same stuff you eat, so it's fine to take them just for anxiety related nausea. However, ginger pills are very potent anti-nausea drugs. They give them to cancer patients with a lot of success. Some patients rated them higher than prescriptions.
    Ahh, yes i've heard good things about ginger pills, it's something i'm looking into getting. I'm taking Kalms at the moment also after every meal, I dont know if I can safely say it's made my anxiety seem less of a struggle but I suppose I should give it time to work. Thanks for your reply.