Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm so scared :(

Ok.. so for the past two weeks I havent been eating much at all due to being ill, so today, well technically yesterday I had a proper day of eating, I ate what I wanted & it felt great. As the day progressed though I slowly started to feel sick and bloated, i'm not sure if this is because my stomach has not been used to a large amount of food all in one day or what but it's making me feel nauseaus and i'm really scared We also had a family BBQ so I ate meat, I had some pork which was practically insinerated(really, really burnt - it was black), so the meat wasn't pink inside or anything but i'm petrified i've gotten food poisoning from it?? How long would It take for the food poisoning to kick in? I've timed it and worked out I ate this around 13 hours ago, would I have been sick by now?? I'm so scared, im panicing and I dont know what to do. All is quiet for now but im just waiting for people in my house to get up and start being ill.. I feel like i'm in a nightmare

Default Re: I'm so scared :(

It sounds like there is no chance of food poisoning because the meat was well done. It would have already happened by now anyway. I think you are going to be just fine. You need to find something to do to distract yourself to disrupt this thinking process. I have attacks like this I understand. Even with constant reassurance, your brain will still break the answers down to yet another what if scenerio. Distract yourself with like a word puzzel or video game or paint your toe nails. I think this will help your anxiety right now and I do not think you are going to get sick. When your in a panic state of mind you cant rationalize right now but I can because Im not panicking. Im able to think clearly right now. You are not going to get S from this. Prayers your way for peace of mind.......
    Scarlett

2 Corinthians 12, 7-10
    I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness."

Thankyou for your reply & understanding. I see you are in the USA so clearly we have different time zones, it's now almost 7:30am and I have not slept at all. I keep having to go to the toilet as it feels like I need to go but nothing major happens, and underneath my right rip, so where my gallbladder is, it's aching and going into my side and back a bit, im scared My mum is annoyed at me because I kept her awake for most of the night not being able to stay calm and she thinks it's all panic but I know theres something wrong with me Thanks again for your support, i'll try to distract myself.

Hi Tasha, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad day yesterday, although I do understand the way your mind's working as I've been through similar stuff over the last couple of months. I agree with the other posters that the strange feelings in your stomach are almost certainly due to not having eaten properly for a while as I've had similar feelings when I've skipped the odd meal. I'm sure you already know by now that the BBQ pork did not make you ill and so, however much your mind is trying not to work this way right now, you need to see it as a positive thing and say to yourself, "I wasn't ill so I know that well done pork is okay to eat so I'll be okay in the future when I eat it". After all, I'm guessing that none of the rest of your family were anxious about it which shows that the issue actually isn't the pork at all, it's the way your mind is currently responding to it...so we're back to CBT again aren’t we?

Reading through your other posts I see that you're currently not in education but aim to go back to college in September. That being so, I'd suggest you try and get some sort of job in the meantime. You've said you feel you haven’t got much going on right now and the phobia's bad, while it wasn't too bad when you were at school….there's a big clue there! It's almost as if your mind is looking for ways to occupy itself and is unfortunately selecting the "Think about the phobia" option. I know it may be easier said than done, but giving yourself a reason to get out of bed in the morning should help as it will give you something else to focus on. My own mind does work like this sometimes, so I know all too well what I'm talking about!

Anyway, hope you’re feeling a bit calmer now. By the way, I’ve just sent you a PM as well.

A lot of times if you haven't eaten enough for a while then you eat a normal amount of food one day, your body is a little uncomfortable with digesting, and also you aren't used to the feeling of having a full belly and so it feels weird. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong!
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Quote Originally Posted by wargerbil View Post
    A lot of times if you haven't eaten enough for a while then you eat a normal amount of food one day, your body is a little uncomfortable with digesting, and also you aren't used to the feeling of having a full belly and so it feels weird. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong!

I understand that but it was so uncomfortable. To be truthful, i'm still not really in the mood for any meals at the moment, constant full/uncomfortable feeling, it's not right :/ But i'm seeing my doctor next week, hopefully she can help me out.

Good! Really pleased you've secured that appointment with your doctor and I bet you feel relieved that you've done so, don't you? Just remember to not leave anything out when you talk to her and tell me how it goes!

Still no CBT appointment yet for me unfortunately. Still waiting on that one although the general therapy is going quite well, albeit it's a bit exasperating to talk about something with her that happened when I was 12 or whatever and I would have thought was completely unrelated and yet end up concluding, "So even that feeds into the phobia as well?! Jeez..."

Whenever I haven't been eating much, and then I suddenly start eating normally again, I always feel bloated and uncomfortable; sometimes nauseous as well. It's normal. Also, fp from pork would happen after around 6-8 hours, so you're fine. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by orton99 View Post
    Good! Really pleased you've secured that appointment with your doctor and I bet you feel relieved that you've done so, don't you? Just remember to not leave anything out when you talk to her and tell me how it goes!

Still no CBT appointment yet for me unfortunately. Still waiting on that one although the general therapy is going quite well, albeit it's a bit exasperating to talk about something with her that happened when I was 12 or whatever and I would have thought was completely unrelated and yet end up concluding, "So even that feeds into the phobia as well?! Jeez..."
    In a way, yes I am glad i've secured an appointment but at the same time I dont want to be fobbed off with just "it's all your anxiety" because I know full well there is more to it, I just have this awful feeling. & I will do!

Oh dear, the NHS is this country, especially where mental health is concerned is terrible. The waiting lists are just ludicris, surely the amount of counsellors/phsychiatrists there are in this country amounts to something which doesn't require such a long peroid of waiting? - I'm glad your general therapy is going well, and to be honest, i'll probably find there is random things in my life that also feed my phobia too no doubt!

Hi Tasha, well the good news is that the Talking Therapies programme was re-launched earlier this year, as the second and third links below show. The BBC one is more general on how it all works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotiona..._talking.shtml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...king-therapies

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...01102115920807

You’re probably right in your feeling that “there is more to it” as my therapist told me at the start that she thinks the phobia, although ostensibly all about something physical “not coming out”, is actually all a metaphor for something emotional that isn’t being expressed. That made a lot of sense as for various reasons I’ve tended over the years not to talk about stuff that bothers me (yeah, yeah, yeah, emotionally dumb male etc), so in short that’s what the therapy is turning into – you name it, if anything has ever bothered me, it gets discussed!! Make sure you tell your doctor this, that you feel that it may well not just be the phobia and that there seems to be a bigger picture here.

PS – What time did you post this? Go to bed, you! Get a good night’s sleep!!

Ahh cheers, I'll take a look at them links, see if I can find out anything I didn't know before (:

Yeah, i'm telling her EVERYTHING when I go.. could be there a while if that's the case! & PS back, - I dont sleep

Yeah, i'm telling her EVERYTHING when I go.. could be there a while if that's the case! & PS back, - I dont sleep

Well, just so long as you don't mind putting out all those little old ladies who've turned up to the doctor's that day wanting a repeat prescription for their pile cream and yet are kept waiting because of your epic conversation...

And by the way, sleep is A Good Thing. Try it sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by orton99 View Post

Well, just so long as you don't mind putting out all those little old ladies who've turned up to the doctor's that day wanting a repeat prescription for their pile cream and yet are kept waiting because of your epic conversation...

And by the way, sleep is A Good Thing. Try it sometime!

Haha, oh that made me laugh that one did :') - Yes, I know, i'd love to get my 8 hours, I really would!