Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is it possible to have a SV and not V?

Here's the classic tell tale question...
    There is nothing i fear more than catching a stomach virus or the norovirus.
    So do any of you know if it is possible to not V* if one catches a SV*?
    Any input or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    My YouTube Channel:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Emet Blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Is it possible to have a SV and not V?

I had a sv* in the middle of february and I only had d*. I know it was a sv* because everyone in my house got it within hours of each other and my husband and 2 little girls v*, but I did not. I also had not had anything to eat at all that day, because my youngest started complaining of a belly ache so it set me into panic mode, so I could only drink ginger ale. I think it is possible to not v* with a sv*! Hope this helps!

You bet its possible. Haven't done it since 1989 but I have 3 kids and I do still get stomach stomach virus. There were plenty of times I felt N but I willed myself and fought with all that was withnin me and I made it through without have to do it. This may be TMI but I have have totally undigested food come out the other end,...did not looik nothing like D,...more like V. I don't know how healthy that is but it has shown me that one way or another, it will come out and for me the other end the the only way for me!!
    Scarlett

2 Corinthians 12, 7-10
    I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness."

Geeze,...sorry about all the typos!! LOL
    Scarlett

2 Corinthians 12, 7-10
    I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness."

Yes, you can fight it. Most emets can will themselves not to vomit and others take anti-emetics. Most stomach viruses are mild and only cause brief upset and/or diarrhea anyway. You can also experience a stomach virus sub-clinically in which case you don't experience ANY symptoms. I think the reason a lot of people vomit is because they want to in order to put an end to their nausea.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Yes, it's possible. Probable even. It depends on how good you are at willing yourself out of it. Also if you take anti-emetics in time (usually it takes around 30 minutes to kick in) those can frequently prevent it even if you're not very good at willing yourself out of it.

Yupp! The last time I vomited was fathers day of 4th grade due to a sv. I have had 2 sv's and one bout of food poisioning since then and didnt vomit. The first sv was just extreme diahrrea and a really bad gagy feeling, I ended up dry heaving about 4 times. The second sv (I know for sure it was, got it from my friends son, everyone els in her family got it too) was 2 years ago and it was all diahrrea, it was so weird because I hd no nausea at all. I did end up dry heaving 3 times but I think it was due to dehydration because I wasnt nauseaus. And I got foor poisioning 3 years ago and had horrible diarrea for 8 days, I was very nauseaus the first day but I fought it. So yes its possible to have a sv & fp without vomiting!

I agree with everyone here. I have had a few stomach viruses where I didn't vomit.

You may find these links helpful!

Last time I had one I didn't v*, had wicked d* and horrible nausea. Other people I worked with had it and they all v*.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

YES! I got a norovirus from a friend just last year and I spent about three hours lying in bed. Three times, I started getting really bad cold sweats and was shaking. I didn't realize that this was my bodies way of telling me to vomit. Then on the fourth and fifth time, I burped really loudly and THAT was when I figured out what was happening. But I had no difficulty holding it down at all...it just required some serious concentration and "mind over matter" thoughts. After those two times, I stopped getting the cold sweats and I felt a lot better despite having not vomited. I woke up the next day and went to Six Flags. This was actually before I had emetophobia, I just didn't like vom-ing. Glad I survived It brings me a lot of comfort to know that I can hold it down even if I had norovirus. This was the first time in thirteen years that I had even caught a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by derm_st View Post
    You bet its possible. Haven't done it since 1989 but I have 3 kids and I do still get stomach stomach virus. There were plenty of times I felt N but I willed myself and fought with all that was withnin me and I made it through without have to do it. This may be TMI but I have have totally undigested food come out the other end,...did not looik nothing like D,...more like V. I don't know how healthy that is but it has shown me that one way or another, it will come out and for me the other end the the only way for me!!

Wow..... really??? That is amazing. Well i mean... i'm sure the entire experience was dreadful. But the fact you didn't V* and your D* looked like V is really, erm, interesting. If i ever get the noro again, i'm going to fight a lot harder to make sure it all goes down instead of up!
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by MakeHerProud View Post
    YES! I got a norovirus from a friend just last year and I spent about three hours lying in bed. Three times, I started getting really bad cold sweats and was shaking. I didn't realize that this was my bodies way of telling me to vomit. Then on the fourth and fifth time, I burped really loudly and THAT was when I figured out what was happening. But I had no difficulty holding it down at all...it just required some serious concentration and "mind over matter" thoughts. After those two times, I stopped getting the cold sweats and I felt a lot better despite having not vomited. I woke up the next day and went to Six Flags. This was actually before I had emetophobia, I just didn't like vom-ing. Glad I survived It brings me a lot of comfort to know that I can hold it down even if I had norovirus. This was the first time in thirteen years that I had even caught a bug.
    That is truly inspirational that your mind overcame the matter and that you prevented V* from happening. The problem with me is that i got the norovirus last Christmas, and once I felt the nausea/sweats/shaking, i got a panic attack in addition to all the nausea... which made it hard to calmly focus =/. I ended up doing the evil deed of V, because i couldn't fight my body's urge to V well enough. Prior to that, i hadn't V in 18 years. Maybe i was just lucky to not have caught any stomach bugs during those 18 years.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

I think there have been times where I was supposed to vomit, but didn't. I think it definately is possible to will yourself out of it, if you do it in the right way & in time of course.

A little off topic here, but is there ever a time where even the best anti vomiting tablets dont work? I'm assuming if you were ill due to food poisoning perhaps not, but talking in virus terms?

If you get a SV and don't eat anything all day, does it prevent V* and just cause D*? I'm truly curious. Usually when i get sick, i get just D*. Unfortunately that wasn't the case when i caught noro last Christmas. The nausea was so overpowering that my body's nervous system completely took over, and i didn't have any anti-emetics to assist. So if i ever get struck with such bad luck again, i'd like to resist V* as much as possible. I also realized my mother hasn't V* since 1996. While she claims she's not emetophobic, she is somewhat OCD about hygiene and hand washing, and also very health obsessive. I don't know if there's a correlation between the two, but thought i should mention it anyway.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

Those same anti nausea tablets are given in hospitals in cases of severe n* and v*. The problem is that they need at least 20 or 30 minutes to kick in, and if you take them too late your stomach stops digesting at a certain point (which is why Zofran is offered in sublingual form). Also some prescriptions work best for preventing rather than treating the n*.

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    Those same anti nausea tablets are given in hospitals in cases of severe n* and v*. The problem is that they need at least 20 or 30 minutes to kick in, and if you take them too late your stomach stops digesting at a certain point (which is why Zofran is offered in sublingual form). Also some prescriptions work best for preventing rather than treating the n*.

I usually take Motilium and in the past have tried Buccastem, which you let disolve under your upper lip, i'm guessing so it's gets into the blood stream quicker.. & they are those ones that are often given to cancer patients to stop nausea/vomiting.. so they're pretty strong! Only on prescription though unfortunately.

I certainly hope so! because I really dread catching one & not being able to avoid vting. I remember reading a thread about a year ago written by a journalist about catching noro, & fighting nausea for 4 days, & winning. I didn`t think that noro lasted that long!, anyway, I think he deserved a medal for putting up such a good fight, & I think that he was very brave to last for 4 days. I`m sure that even I could`nt last that long.

Yes, it's possible. Years ago my whole family came down with a SV. I was the only one who DID NOT vomit. I had wicked diarrhea and horrible nausea. The interesting thing is that everyone else who DID vomit felt better a lot quicker than I did. Mine dragged on.... and on... and on.... and on. Everyone else vomited a couple of times and were fine.

Definitely, I had an SV october of last year, and it was diagnosed as such a the hospital when I had to go in for dehydration.....never vomited...not for lack of trying though....

When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

wellll, i once am pretty sure I got a stomach virus because almost everyone I was around had it (my bf at the time, my son, etc) and I ended up with really bad stomach pains for a few days, but never vomited..

The last time my son was sick, he vomited, and then my daughter got diarrhea, my dad, my mother in law, and I all got diarrhea but never vomited.

It all varies on your immune system, I think.

if you eat the right foods and build up your immune system then you should be fine, thats what i keep telling myself,

I have been suffering with an sv for the last few days. I have had awful d, but not only have I not v'ed, I haven't even been nauseous! Oh, and my immune system sucks!