Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Opinions on SSRI's please?

I do not want to start a heated debate on here about antidepressants, i would just like some opinions on the subject. A lot of members on here suffer from anxiety and OCD as well as emet, it is a proven fact that SSRI's help with these problems, I am a longterm user of an SSRI (Paxil) and it has helped me to live a fairly normal life without panic attacks and my OCD is now managable. Why do so many people not agree with even trying meds for anxiety?

Default Re: Opinions on SSRI's please?

i've wondered that myself, becca. like ive said before if i had another illness....diabetes, high blood pressure.....or didn't want to get pregnant i would take a pill everyday...so why wouldn't i take an antidepressant everyday if it helps me to lead a relatively normal life? i've been on and off prozac for over 10 years...never had a problem with it or a problem getting off of it. this time i've been on for about 2 years...but i have been off of it for long periods of time also. when i'm off prozac my mind is so full of obsessive thoughts about v that it pretty much takes over my life.......i prefer to take the pill and be able to work, do things with my husband, etc.

i've been on the same dosage since the beginning....never had to raise it so i don't think i've become immune to it.

to each his own i suppose......but i'm all about being able to feel more rational everyday.
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i've tried so so so many different pills in so many different combinations, and nothing has truly worked for me. now i'm extremely apprehensive because many heightened my anxiety or caused me lots of weight gain or made me feel... nothing.

i think even though pills can help, they just mask the problem. they are just a temporary fix, not a cure or solution. i think that's why personally i don't want to be on them. each to his own though. if it works for you and you are fine with it, then that's great

To be honest, I didn't think my anxiety was bad enough to warrant meds, and I used to be of the opinion that meds just mask the problem. However, I have been on Prozac for a couple of months now. I started taking it because of extreme fatigue. I have a chronic illness and my doctor felt it had affected my brain chemistry. Since being on the pills, I have had such improvements, not just from symptoms of depression and anxiety, but also things like my pain threshold has improved. Which fits, as serotonin is involved in lessening pain sensations. Anyway, after being on the meds I have realised that, in my case, the meds aren't masking the problem. My problem is with brain chemistry, and the meds are fixing that. As for having to take a pill everyday, I take so many others that one more doesn't make any difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca85 View Post
    To be honest, I didn't think my anxiety was bad enough to warrant meds, and I used to be of the opinion that meds just mask the problem. However, I have been on Prozac for a couple of months now. I started taking it because of extreme fatigue. I have a chronic illness and my doctor felt it had affected my brain chemistry. Since being on the pills, I have had such improvements, not just from symptoms of depression and anxiety, but also things like my pain threshold has improved. Which fits, as serotonin is involved in lessening pain sensations. Anyway, after being on the meds I have realised that, in my case, the meds aren't masking the problem. My problem is with brain chemistry, and the meds are fixing that. As for having to take a pill everyday, I take so many others that one more doesn't make any difference!
    Totally agree, in my opinion meds to not mask the problem at all, they change brain chemistry so you can actually think differently and more rationally, i even went through a pregnancy while taking my SSRI, my doctor said it was safe to do so despite the terrifying affects to the foetus stated in the information leaflet. Also i sleep like a baby on them which is fantastic as previously i had been a poor sleeper.

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    i've wondered that myself, becca. like ive said before if i had another illness....diabetes, high blood pressure.....or didn't want to get pregnant i would take a pill everyday...so why wouldn't i take an antidepressant everyday if it helps me to lead a relatively normal life? i've been on and off prozac for over 10 years...never had a problem with it or a problem getting off of it. this time i've been on for about 2 years...but i have been off of it for long periods of time also. when i'm off prozac my mind is so full of obsessive thoughts about v that it pretty much takes over my life.......i prefer to take the pill and be able to work, do things with my husband, etc.

i've been on the same dosage since the beginning....never had to raise it so i don't think i've become immune to it.

to each his own i suppose......but i'm all about being able to feel more rational everyday.
    Can you become immune to them, i hadnt heard that before, ive always been on 30mg. They initially made me put on weight but i think that was also due to the fact that i actually felt relaxed enough to eat like a normal person again.

I don't consider them because I was told you become dependent on them, they mask your problems and you suffer withdrawal effetcs when you comeoff them. Maybe I need a new Doctor! But that's the reason why I don't take them but I am re considering froma all the positive stories I have heard on here.

I agree with giving SSRI's a shot. That's what they are meant for, to help people be able to live their lives normally and the way they want to. As long as they are not abused and taken properly, I think they are totally worth it.

I haven't found one yet that doesn't wreak havoc on my body and doesn't make me feel really sick but I would really like to find an SSRI with minimal side effects because right now, my life is nowhere near where I want it to be and I think they could help me. I basically don't leave my house because I'm so petrified all the time.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-