Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Do you wash your hands first thing when you get home?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 83.56%
  • No

12 16.44%

Default Do you wash your hands when you get home?

Do you wash your hands first thing when you get home? I have an OCD thing of always washing my hands before I touch anything in my apartment and I'm wondering if anyone else does that.

Default Re: Do you wash your hands when you get home?

I always make sure to wash my hands and use sanitizer when I come home. Obviously because I don't want to catch a stomach bug but I also do it because I just feel germy thinking of all the different things I've touched while I've been out, especially at the grocery store. My hands almost look dirty to me too but that could be in my mind haha.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Nope. Though I often have to pee soon after I get home and I DO wash my hands after using the bathroom.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Always, always wash my hands when i get home from being anywhere, so do my kids, so does anybody who comes to my house, my daughters friends know its a house rule to wash their hands when they come here as well as taking their shoes off at the front door.

I always do, even if I've just been for a walk alone.
    I make sure and use plenty of anti bacterial handwash, and i do this 3 times under a very hot tap before making dinner/touching anything.

I work with peoples faces everyday being a make-up artist, and sanitising everything is a very important part of the job, so i feel being an emet makes my clients less at risk to germs and bacteria cause I'm so careful with my cleaning!

i did when i lived alone but now that i am living back home with my parents, it's almost pointless to wash my hands upon walking in because i doubt they have. i can't control them.

i do sanitize my hands as soon as i get into my car though!

I absolutely wash my hands when i get home! So does everyone else in my house. Even my hubby who doesnt understand. I am a germ freak and I actually get mad when someone does something careless of germs. Heres a hand washing story that will tell you how OCD i really am.
    I was in the earthquake that happened on March 11, 2011in Japan. After the first big one we had a few aftershocks. I was still in the train station and decided to go to the bathroom. While i was in the restroom we had another bad aftershock, I was trying to get out of the bathroom but stopped in the middle of the earthquake to wash my hands!!! My cousin told me my OCD was goiing to kill me one day and handed me some sanitzer!

Should I stop doing that to try to help my emet? I think I could.

Sometimes? Depends on what I'm doing and where I came from.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Nope! My hands only get washed before I eat and after I potty. Or if something unfortunate happens, like I get peed on at work or touch something really dirty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the same as Asianeko. Though when I worked at the juice bar, I'd wash them about ten times a shift because I'm a little OCD about having sticky or slimy substances on my hands, and fruit can be both sticky AND slimy. I wash my hands usually before I eat (when I remember) and after I use the toilet, that's it, usually.

Naturally! I shudder to think of all the hands that have been touching the stuff that I handle in shops, & then of course there`s all the hands that have handled my change before the shop assistant gives it to me.

Yep, first thing I do when I walk through the door!

Always, I wash them before I go into my office as well. I also always sanitize my hands whenever I get into my car. Your hands pick up all kinds of things when you are out, that is unavoidable. But I do feel like if I try to have a check point of cleaning them as soon as I get into my own space, I don't have to worry about spreading the germs around my entire house/office/car. This ultimately means less anxiety and normal amounts of hand washing while at home.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Sometimes I do.. But it depends on how clean i 'feel' when I get home. Sounds odd, but sometimes I feel clean and sometimes I feel the need to keep going back to the sink to wash my hands, over and over again.

nope only before i eat comrade, to think about it i am a pretty nasty person, but somehow still have this fear

Yes, I do. I feel it's a good routine thing to do rather than an excessive hygiene measure. Couldn't have put it better than Barbiegirl - it's a good 'check point' and it can save further handwashing.

No, mostly cause I'm to lazy to. But even if I wasn't I wouldn't, m fear isn't necessarly of viruses, just of sick in general.

Yes!! And I try to encourage my husband to do the same. Despite having emetophobia, it's just a healthy thing to do after being in public, I think. No harm in it.

I used to when my emet was at it's pique. Although I do wash them when I return home I don't usually do it first thing; especially if that coming home involves putting groceries away. I touched them anyway after touching my grocery cart and the like. That makes hand washing at that moment obsolete. Gawd that was so unnecessarily technical aha.
    Life is so worth living.

Nope, germs have never scared me. My phobia mostly revolves more around watching/hearing someone else v* instead of v*ing myself.

Me too, Truegryphon
    Come visit my history blog:

Yes, of course. I often wash my hands, especially when I get home.

Yes, unless I was at a friends house who I know is clean but almost always, no matter what!!!!!!