Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Loosing weight?

Hybrid View

Default Loosing weight?

Is anyone else ever experienced weight loss with this phobia. I also sometimes have no appetite because I'm afraid I'll get sick. I try to each as much as I normally have been but it seems to come right out of me since I have been having bowel movements each day. I'm worried that I won't ever be able to gain the weight back and how I will go about gaining the weight again. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Default Re: Loosing weight?

Quote Originally Posted by needhope View Post
    Is anyone else ever experienced weight loss with this phobia. I also sometimes have no appetite because I'm afraid I'll get sick. I try to each as much as I normally have been but it seems to come right out of me since I have been having bowel movements each day. I'm worried that I won't ever be able to gain the weight back and how I will go about gaining the weight again. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

I'm so glad someone has posted a thread on this subject. I think yes, I myself have started to notice weight loss. Not to the extent where i'm stick thin but I used to be a size 10-12, which you'll know is the average, healthy size and now i'm around a size 6-8, so gone down by about two dress sizes in the space of around four months. When you say 'comes right out of me' do you mean you're loose? or actual Diarrhea? I've suffered with this and still am, but it tends to go from one extreme to another.. one minute I cant go and then the other i'm literally running to the toilet, which as you will know isn't pleasant! That can be associated with anxiety though, which if you also suffer with will know that is one of the symptoms.

If I were you I would go to your doctor and explain how this is effecting your eating habits and see what they can suggest. They may tell you to write down every meal you have and when you have it and try and stick to set times when you know you have to eat.

It is hard I know when you have no appetite, I suffer with this regularly due to this phobia (at least i'm assuming it's phobia related) but with the right help and guidance you should be able to get better and eventually build your appetite up again. Take care!

Thanks for responding. I appreciate your advice. I do have diarhea sometimes but mostly it is normal, I am just going a lot more than usual. I used to go about every 2-3 days. Now I go almost daily. Could this be anxiety related as well? I have only lost a couple pounds but I'm afraid it will get worse and I don't weight that much to begin with.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate your advice. I do have diarhea sometimes but mostly it is normal, I am just going a lot more than usual. I used to go about every 2-3 days. Now I go almost daily. Could this be anxiety related as well? I have only lost a couple pounds but I'm afraid it will get worse and I don't weight that much to begin with.

Hmm, it depends, do you get really nervous a lot? I mean nerves are directly in sync with anxiety arent they, so I guess it could be just due to your anxiety worsening. I mean the worse your anxiety is the worse the symptoms, that's what i've found in my experience anyway.

I honestly would reccomend you seek medical help though. Doctors are there for a reason & it's best that he/she can put your mind at rest

This is true. I do have nerves about a lot of things. I was recently to the doctor about this a couple months ago and they did blood work and took stool samples but said that everything was normal. The only thing that was elevated was my one liver enzyme which they said it could have been something viral but if the symptoms lasted I suppose it was probably the start of anxiety. They diagnosed me with IBS but found my stool samples to be normal. I don't know if anything would have changed within 3 months since I have the same symptoms.

This is true. I do have nerves about a lot of things. I was recently to the doctor about this a couple months ago and they did blood work and took stool samples but said that everything was normal. The only thing that was elevated was my one liver enzyme which they said it could have been something viral but if the symptoms lasted I suppose it was probably the start of anxiety. They diagnosed me with IBS but found my stool samples to be normal. I don't know if anything would have changed within 3 months since I have the same symptoms.

Oh right, I see.. so you have been already for this then. Well i'm not too sure what to suggest, I mean if they did tests and everything came back as normal then I would say it is anxiety related. Are you in the UK can I ask? If so go to search Anxiety UK on google and they have a really helpful website and even a 24hr helpline you can call and someone gives you advise in relation to your anxiety.

In saying that, things can change all the time and if it's been 3 months are your gut problems are getting worse I would say go back to your doctor and ask if anymore tests are available or even ask if theres anything to suggest for helping anxiety. Are you seeing a therapist at all or waiting to see one?