Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question How many times have you caught noro?

For me, 0 time(s) as far as I've known. *knock on wood*

Default Re: How many times have you caught noro?

0 times for me.

my mom and dad caught it! but thankfully im free of it!

As far as I know, I have had it once. (not confirmed by a doctor, but I work in a school and it was going round, and it was worse than other stomach bugs I had when I was younger so I figure it was noro I caught)

Once I think, when I was eight. I think it was Noro (then still called Norwalk virus) because the vomit happened suddenly and was the only symptom and my parents both caught it too within 3 days. I only threw up once, though, so maybe it wasn't noro?

Doug
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 04-18-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Left out an important detail about my outburst
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've had Noro once in my life. Just like Doug above me, I had it back when it was still called the Norwalk virus, or the Cruise Ship virus. My father, sister and I all had it at 15 minute intervals. We were sick every hour or the hour (both ends x.x) for 24 hours. It was the worst thing I have ever experienced.

However, I have had other stomach bugs. Not all viruses are violent like noro

You may find these links helpful!

0 confirmed. 1 suspected.

A flat 0 for me. I've had mild food poisoning, but never a stomach virus of any kind, as far as I know.

I`ve had sv`s in the past, but I`ve never had projectile vting, which is supposed to be a classic symptom of noro, so I really can`t be sure.

0 for me with all stomach viruses

1, but like Doug I only vomited once but my family proceeded to catch it and were all very ill.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I've never has noro thank god! but my intestines tend to be sensitive maybe from nervousness. anyway i hope we never get it because it sounds like hell

As far as I know 0. I asked my mom a few days ago about it and she said she can't recall of my ever having a sv.

There was some vomiting bug that went through our house one person at a time in 1996 (I was 12). Everyone puked a lot all night, but I only had dry heaves 2 times.

Never thank god and I hope I never do! My eldest son starts school full time in September and the noro goes around like no-one's business in schools so I am dreading this Winter

I don't recall ever having had a stomach virus, just 2 lots of food poisoning, both when I was pregnant

God I hope I'm not jinxing it by writing this!!

I'm not sure. I had a few nasty stomach viruses as a child - but the v-ing wasn't projectile, I don't think. But since most of them are noro, I imagine at least one of them was that.

Quote Originally Posted by mumofboys View Post
    Never thank god and I hope I never do! My eldest son starts school full time in September and the noro goes around like no-one's business in schools so I am dreading this Winter

I don't recall ever having had a stomach virus, just 2 lots of food poisoning, both when I was pregnant

God I hope I'm not jinxing it by writing this!!
    aslong as you make sure your son has a healthy diet and washes his hands with hot water and soap he should be fine... me, my brother and sister went through primary and secondary school with only having a sv once or twice and it was never really bad... and i havent had a sv since i was about 13 which was 6 years ago . never the noro thank god *touch wood*

Never that I know of! Every time I've been sick it's just been a stomach virus going around school.

I don't know what noro is.

noro = Norovirus, formerly called Norwalk virus, also known as the demon, dreaded stomach flu. It causes a rapid onset of nausea and (sometimes projectile) vomiting. It is epidemic and spreads easily from person to person. You don't want it. A lot of us have emetophobia because we had a nasty bout of noro once.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Just to clear up, it only passes easily from person to person if you don't keep your hands clean. If you wash your hands before you eat and after you use the toilet you should be fine. Try your best to keep your hands away from your mouth where possible and you'll be fine. You can only catch it by ingesting vomit or feces particles which is why cleanliness is important :-) Don't panic, its not as easy to catch as Doug makes out.

Noro isn't only violent. Some people who get it don't vomit, some people only get diarrhea, some people have relatively mild symptoms. It's thought that noro causes the vast majority of contagious stomach bugs, so if you've had a contagious stomach thing regardless of whether it was severe, chances are it was noro. Let's not put noro on a pedestal as emets!

Haha, person54321, that's what I was trying to avoid. It seems like the more we talk about it as being awful and violent and to be avoided at all costs, the more we get afraid of it, so I figured I'd try and bring it back down a little...