Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you in the emet closet or out and proud?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm still in the emet closet and the door is firmly closed - noone knows

7 9.72%
  • I'm still in the emet closet but the door's ajar - a couple of close family/friends/partner know

43 59.72%
  • Closet? What closet? Pretty much all of my family/friends/colleagues etc know about my phobia

22 30.56%

Default Are you 'in the closet' with your emet?

I'd be interested to know who here is still in the closet with their emet, and who has come clean to family/friends etc? I'm out and proud, as it were

Default Re: Are you 'in the closet' with your emet?

I tell anyone who will listen to me!!! I feel bad that some people feel they have to hide it from others. This phobia is nothing to be ashamed of. It really isn't.

My husband is the only person who knows, other than like, people on the internet and bad therapists.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Only a few people in real life know. I work in a school, and feel that the kids would use it against me (not deliberately, but saying they feel ill to get out of doing things), and the staff might resent me for not pulling my weight when it comes to ill children. It's also good for me in a way, if they knew I might get out of some things, as it is I have to pretend I'm not emet and do things even though it petrifies me!

I tell people if they ask, or if I feel they need to know. Like, I told my manager at work, and some of my colleagues... All of my friends know!

I tell everyone if a good time arises for me to express it. IE: When someone is feeling n*! I feel like if I don't tell them then it will happen around me or someone will be more careless with their germs. Does that make sense... in a cynical backwards kind of way???

Just my family and closest friends.

I tell everyone. That way they know I don't hate them when I threat them like a leper after illness. It's also saved my butt on numerous occasions when the people I've told keep an eye out for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I tell my coworkers...not ready for fam yet...but they know how I am when it comes to *v or any related word....I just don't say it...and they know when they're sick they're own their own. I reckon I just need to give it a name for them lol

i don't tell everyone not because i am ashamed but because until i get to know them i can't tell if i can trust them. some people are really awful. i had a friend who i told and i was arguing with him and he just yelled "vomit!" trying to scare me. i think you need to be careful about who you tell, but you should definitely tell some people. my family knows and they have helped so much. my best friends too. my mom is really fantastic about it. i don't know what i would do without her. so yes, the door is ajar.

I only tell people when it comes up in real life or it is likely to. Like if someone throws up around me and I run away and leave without so much as a "feel better" or "goodbye" I explain myself afterwards.

Everyone knows! All my family and friends know, I am not ashamed of my phobia, I used to be but I find people understand my reactions more if they know about my phobia and like pp said, they know that when you avoid them when they have been sick, it's nothing personal, you are just scared

I don`t think it really matters unless I`m in a situation where someone is likely to v, such as on a boat, or in hospital. Luckily I haven`t been in any of these situations for many years. I might mention it if someone if someone said to me that they felt ill, in fact I`d probably just try & get away from the situation as fast as I could.

I'm very open - all my family and friends know. They're not the most helpful of people, mind.

I'm somewhat open. My immediate family, close friends and close colleagues all know. But I don't drive around with an emet pride bumper sticker, lol. Basically, if people need to know, I tell them. If it is irrelevant in that relationship I don't.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

My mom knows to some extent. I don't tell her a whole lot, though. Nobody else knows.

My door is ajar.

My immediate family knows and the rest of them just know that I don't feel good a lot but I've never really bothered explaining whats going on to them. I might in the future though. I have a few close friends who know but one of them is emet herself and the other two are kinda just like "okay thats cool but you need to get over it". They don't really understand which is frustrating.

My boyfriend knows and tries to help as much as he can but doesn't understand it fully so it's hard sometimes but he tried his best. He's a good egg
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

i dont tell many people at all. the people who do know just dont take me seriously or seem dis interseted. i told my mum, my dad and my bf. but they all have kind of forgotten. they know im a gremaphobe and hate being sick, but thats about it. i cant wait to talk to a therapist about it. they're more understanding
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Everyone in my whole town knows! As soon as someone mentions sick I automatically take a step back and say, I have emetophobia. Of course I usually explain it to them, but anyone who is there knows. And I have no problem with it, the more who know the better! So they know I'm fragile about that stuff.

The only person who know about my phobia is my cousin, she is my best friend too. Or was, because we separated a few days ago. I think we won't hang out anymore and
    I'm sad because she was the only person I could tell. And she was a little bit emet. Not as much as me, but a little bit and we often talked about it. We don't have same friends and we don't go to the same class. I have mine friends from class with which I go out, but they don't know.
    I'm afraid to tell anyone. And yes, my other cousin (male) has this phobia, I don't know if he knows the name of it, but he's afraid of v* since he was little cause he had Vermiform appendix ( I don't know how you call that in english). My family thinks I'm exaggerating and that I'm only afraid of germs. They compare me with my other cousin who is afraid of germs and like cleanliness.

everyone knows! actually i wouldn't be surprised if the whole year level knows thanks to public panic attacks. :/ but my friends really look out for me which i appreciate heaps. i think i'm so open about it cos 5 of my cousins, 2 of my aunties, my grandma, great-uncle and great-grndpa ALL had/have issues with depression and anxiety.

I never tell anyone, so yeah im a closet emet haha, hopefully one day i will be abit more open about it

My husband knows, my aunt knows, and one of my friends knows. Of course my psychiatrist and primary care physician know. I feel like I cannot tell anyone, even very close friends, that I work with. I'm afraid it could be used against me to decide to eliminate my position. There is no job security-- at least not in the U S, so I have to be careful. And most people don't understand. It has taken years for my husband to somewhat get it. He tries really hard but he just can't relate to it at all. Even my doctors don't take it very seriously or know a thing about the disease or treating it.