Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Exclamation my emetophobia new member.

hi, everyone new here so this is my first post so bear with me.

im 18 years old and live on the isle of wight in the U.K. I have been suffering from emetophobia since i was about 9. to be honest i didn't even know that the phobia had name till about a year ago. anyway i dont really know how i became an emetophobic it just sort of happened i mean up until i was 9 sick never really bothered me of course i never liked it (but who does??) but it happened i didn't like it but i got over it and didn't think about it again, now it stays on my mind whenever im sick or people around me are sick like at the moment. I already suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and have aspergers.

Whenever anyone is sick i go on complete shutdown. i cover my ears and rock back and fourth i just cant cope with sick. i have 2 sisters one older and one younger. my younger one suffers from migraines and gets sick a lot with them and often asks me to help her but as bad as i feel i hardly ever can i just get my mum and literally run around like a headless chicken.

Anyway. this is the main reason im posting.
    On Friday my younger sis went to stay with my older sis (as she doesn't live at home.) and her partner. they went out and got a KFC which my older sis gets quite often anyway, they ate and were fine. about an hour later my sisters partner got sick with diarrhea and couldn't stop being sick!!! My sisters showed no signs or symptoms and put it down to the yogurt she had. they thought maybe the milk had gone off. Anyway, the next day my sis came home and told me this which sent me into panic mode but she assured me it was what she ate so i felt a bit better, then that night my younger sis wouldn't stop being sick!! and im getting nervous typing this. it was horrible i was up all night panicking. then i got home from my course im currently taking to find out my older sis had been ill in the night as well!!!!!!

im really scared. i want to think its what they ate that made them sick as i know you cant catch that unless you eat the bad food but im really scared that its a bug and im gonna catch it!!!! whenever theres a bug going round i get completely paranoid that im gonna get it and sometimes dont leave the house. but right no im in HELL!!!!

just had to share it thanks for reading.

Default Re: my emetophobia new member.

Hi there and welcome to the site. It does seem like the 3 of them were sick from the KFC. KFC is really greasy. If they were all feeling fine and then got sick one right after the other after eating I'm sure it was the food.

I know it is scary but I doubt you are in any danger of catching anything. Just keep your hands clean and try to relax.

I too suffer from tons of anxiety and panic attacks. If you think too much about this you will trick your body into thinking you have caught something.

Relax. I'm sure you will be fine.

oh, thank for the reply i feel much better!!! its nice not to feel alone.

Trust me, you are not alone. This site is full of alot of amazing people. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. How is everyone feeling now?

Welcome to IES (: I hope this site helps you greatly in dealing with emetophobia (: Everyone on here is so supportive and caring!! Im sorry to hear about your family feeling so ill, but like kellybeth says above me, it's all down to the KFC! I cant stand fast food myself, the feeling of it inside me, puts me off! *Massive Hugs* I can assure you sweetie, as long as you keep up your hygiene, things will be alright! Always here for you! x
    2010 && 2011 the years I met Gok Wan
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Lets slap Emet in the face. . .

Follow My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hope you're ok and that your panicking has subsided a bit..this site is such a comfort when you're feeling that way. I'm sure you'll be fine - it does sound like dodgy KFC, to come on that quickly!

Hey there, I have just joined and would like to say Its so nice to read something and realise im not strange!
    I have alot in common with you, im 20 and live nearby in southampton. My phobia started when i was 9 as well. It dominates my life. I have ocd, i suffer alot of panic attacks, i get scared about traveling in case i get sick, its horrible. I hate living with emet, its a curse. Its not just one fear, its many! I panic so much when sickness bugs come around as well. I have improved hugely since the beginning of my fear, but still have a long road to recovery. I get worried about the future. I'd love to have kids, but the thought of pregnancy terrifies me. I have a partner who wants to travel the world and live abroad, and I won't be able to go with him I have never met another emet, and feel quite isolated from the world. I often get jealous of all my friends traveling and having fun, and being able to have fun without having a care in the world. This phobia has taken over my life!

Hey Eve

Welcome to IES I totally understand in what your saying about how emet has taken over your life! Snap Like you, I also suffer with OCD which certainly doesn't help with the emet I find! I really hope that this forum helps with your emet as much as it has helped me! Everyone on here is so nice and caring, you certainly wont be alone as long as you are on IES x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

It just seems like to whatever extent you feel you can cope with it, it actually controls your life! Thanks for your friendly post its nice to talk to people who understand, as many people really find it difficult to relate to and seem to think that its just a dislike of the experience! do you find things like traveling and living a good social life almost impossible? x

No worries (: I just like to make new people welcome I totally agree, im 17 and pretty much have no social life whatsoever! I haven't been able to get out and properly live my life for a few years now I find it pretty upsetting because I have a twin sister who isn't emet, watcher her grow up, going out without a care in the world with her friends is really upsetting for me to watch because I just wish I could be that person! Another part about living with my sister is that she isn't partial to have a drink, so yes many times she has *v when she has come home drunk, which caused an extreme amount of panic and upset for me when people wonder why! My parents know about my emet, but I feel they aren't really bothered! x

Helena Bonham Carter <3

Follow My Blog

I do the exact same thing funsmiley. As soon as someone gets sick I start trying to analyze the situation. I stay away from them though. I have even gone 2 or 3 days without eating just to make sure if I got "it" I wouldn't have anything in me to throw up. I have the same type panic attacks that you do. It can be very debillitating. I hope you are okay. Every message I have read in this site has reassured me that I am not alone and neither are you.