Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: first post

Default first post

hi everyone, this is my first post on here, i joined last year but never had the courage to say anything.
    I am 36 and have been battling emet since i was around 18, was probably earlier, but can clearly remember my first major anxiety attack at that age.
    I fear all things that are related to being sick, other people being sick.
    i am a proud mum to a beautiful 4 year old boy, but there are times that i can't even hug him because i am absolutly petrified that i will get a bug or get sick fromsomething he's picked upat daycare.
    I am also pregnant with twins!!the first trimester was a nightmare, i thought my world would come crashing down, i feared every day of the first twelve weeks i would be sick with morning sickness.
    My sister in law, who i am quite close to, rang me yesterday and told me that she and her son have had gastro the last couple of days, and although I haven't actually seen her since last week, I am convinced i will get sick too, i am currently in a flat spin panic, all i want to do is cry, i am so sick of living like this. I have started to see a therapist who has prescribed zoloft, but i'm too scared to take it in case it makes me sick.
    sorry for the length of my post, and i hope it makes some sense.

Default Re: first post

Oh, Welcome to you and sorry you are feeling so low. Congrats on the twins! I know it must be hard carrying 2 and worrying about morning sickness...sounds like you are beyond that point. Do you have an understanding husband who can help you out, esp. with the kids when they are sick? I also took zoloft during my pregnancy and I was fine...be honest with your doc and let him/her know how you feel.
    And you won't get sick from your sister in law...that was a while ago and as long as you practice good hygiene, you will be fine. Take care and keep posting...hope this helps.

welcome and congrats on twins....wow....you are going to be busy ......i know for me alot of times i have way less emet symptoms when i'm you busy...all the distractions i guess and maybe it will be that way for you.

i don't think you will get the bug from you sister......you didn't come in contact with any v particles and are safe from it. has you son ever been sick? how did you handle that? i have the utmost respect for all the female emets on here......i've never had the "mothering instinct" so never had kids.......who knows...could have had something to do with my emet...

hope you find lots of help and comfort here......i know it's been a great spot for advice, etc.

keep posting and let us know how the pregnancy is going
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thank you for your lovely replies, it's nice to know that there are people out there who understand you, and that you can't just "get over it".
    my husband is amazing, he does his very best to support me, even though he doesn't understand, he does get how debiltating emet is and that sometimes i just need him to hold my hand and tell me it will be okay.
    our son has had several bouts of gastro, can't tell you how terrifying that is for me, and my poor little man, i try my hardest not to show my fear in front of him, and not make him feel more isolated because he's unwell, it's great when my husband is home, he takes over while i go and fall apart in a corner!
    we have 12 weeks to go, and then we are hving the twins by c-section( they're identical and sharing a placenta, so little bit more high risk) so i'm trying to not worry myself about hospital stays and epeidurals and horrible adverse reactions to drugs.
    thanks again for listening, will defintly be posting more and looking forward to getting to know everyone