Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default How do you prepare yourself for cleaning after someone has gotten sick??

I will be going back to my house tomorrow to clean after my husband has been sick since yesterday. I noticed after he got sick he did not wash his hands and wiped his mouth and touched stuff...i was mortified!! Me and my daughter are staying at my mothers to try and avoid it but have to go back eventually! I want to get in there and clean really good and was wondering if anyone had any good advice on how to clean really well and also limit my exposure. I'll be cleaning the entire house seeing as I was not there to see what was contaminated. Your help is very much appreciated! Please pray me and my daughter are spared of this terrible sickness!

Default Re: How do you prepare yourself for cleaning after someone has gotten sick??

I'll be praying for you and your daughter!

All I know is that bleach is pretty much the H-bomb for germs. You can wear a mask while you clean, if you like, and put on some junk clothes/rags that you could even throw out once you're done. (If I had to do this, it's probably the route I'd take.) Also, in addition to washing your own hands and having your daughter maintain her hygiene, you might ask your husband to wash his hands well and limit himself to one bathroom, so that you and your daughter can avoid any additional contaminated fecal or v* particles.

Default Re: How do you prepare yourself for cleaning after someone has gotten sick??

I'm just at the tailend of all of this so I know how nervous you must be feeling. It's been over 48 hours since my daughter had D* and V* so trust me, I feel your pain.

I made a mixture of water and bleach (the directions for sanitzing were on the bottle) and I put some gloves and old clothes on and just went to town on my house, espeically in the area where my daughter had been sick. I did all the laundry while wearing gloves too. I made sure to bleach every area I could think of. Her changing table, light switches, door handles, sink knobs, shower knobs, the keyboard and mouse to my computer, remotes, buttons on the TV.

Also, wash the sheets that your husband slept on while he was sick along with blankets and pillowcases. If it's nice where you are, open the windows and let the fresh air in (thank God we were able to do this).

Just keep your hands as well as your daughters clean and out of your mouths and you'll be just fine!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

There`s no way that I`d clean up someone else`s v, even if they were a child, cos I figure that it`s their mess, & they should clean it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    There`s no way that I`d clean up someone else`s v, even if they were a child, cos I figure that it`s their mess, & they should clean it themselves.
    I understand what you mean but at the same time I wouldnt be able to know the house was entirely clean unless I did it all myself

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    A child is too young to be able to clean up their own mess and they probably wouldn't do thay great a job especially if they aren't feeling well. My 16 month old v* on Sunday, there was no possible way she could have cleaned it herself.
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-