Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How many times have you v*d in your lifetime?

Old topic, new thread.

My v* history:

age 6: my cousin crushed a snail with a rock (total un-emetophobic episode)
    age 7: drank milk while I was running a fever (ugh)
    age 8: food poisoning
    age 8: food poisoning (violent; emetophobia commences)

total: 4

Default Re: How many times have you vomited in your lifetime?

Age 3: I don't remember, but I'm told I threw up during dinner
    Age 6: Woke up and threw up once within 10 minutes. Not particularly unpleasant.
    Age 8: Threw up once while sleeping. Brought on my emet.
    Age 10: Woke up with food poisoning or something. I kept from doing it for at least three hours and then threw up once.

Total: 4
    Last edited by gumdropper1; 06-06-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Default Re: How many times have you v*d in your lifetime?

gumdropper1, I look at your ticker and I'm absolutely astounded. That's a long, long time from your last v* episode!

Age 3: admitted to hospital for some kind of sv* and was refusing fluids.
    Age 10: first (and so far only) sv* which happened on Good Friday, t*u* about 6 times.
    Age 16: t*u* from alcohol once or twice. - but I found it funny?
    Age 20: had h1n1 with d* and dry heaves (which I sort of do count as v* because it would've happend if I had food in my stomach)

So yeah, it all started when I was 10 from some silly virus my mum could've prevented me from getting if she'd isolated my sick brother from me! (she also got sick)

Age 5- Had some kind of a bug/ate something that didnt agree with me. I remember lying in bed with my mom and a bucket. ew
    Age 7- Got a stomach virus from my little brother 2 days after my 7th birthday.
    Age 10- Got a stomach virus and V* maybe 5 times.

Never really had a horrible experience myself. But i now think i know where my emet came from. i was probably about 3 or 4 and my older brother was sitting on the couch, me on the floor, and he V* on the floor right in front of me. i rememeber him being rushed to the bathroom and my dad holding me walking towards the bathroom and i was screaming and crying because i could hear him being sick and i didnt want to go near him. i think it just startled me so much. i remember for like a week after, i thought i would be sick. i made my mom take all the precautions. i even remember laying over the toilet with my mom saying i would be sick. i never did get sick. i was just so afraid it would happen like it did with my brother, out of nowhere, that i literally had a bowl by my bed all week. but i was fine.

I can't be anywhere near a "vomit bin" or else I really will vomit.

V* buckets/bins scare me to death. we have a big yellow one at home and it makes me so frightened if i see it.

4; first ever time i V* and when my emet started.
    7; in the night, in my mums bed.
    9; a very bad sv/noro, whole household had it. this made my emet worse.

i am 20 now, and i have V* from alcohol on a few occasions, but as i get older, drink related V* doesn't bother me. just anything contagious...id rather kill myself than be anywhere near a SV* or noro/fp etc.

I honestly can't remember most of it. Once almost every year (15 years!) from a virus of some kind until one horrible virus, noro I think whilst on holiday, emet suddenly gets a LOT worse and not happened since then (Feb 2007 I think?) - Don't think I have ever v* from something not a virus since I was a baby, I've come close due to allergies though...

It's good to hear not everyone v* every year for ages, It became normality to me, once a year I WOULD get s* without fail, it seemed to be that way for all my friends too back then.... I thought it was that way for everyone... - Earliest I knew of the emet was crying every time I was s*. Thought that was normal too. I haven't had the best V* history...

wow some of you haven't v* many times at all!! I am astounded!

I cannot recall all the terrible times I have v* but I will try. I do know that I too for a while used to v* every year at least once a year until I was around 13 for no apparent reason so I will say that and now list the ones I remember.

3: milk allergy
    6: had 2 sv*s in one year!! I was way underweight.
    8: too much sugar
    11: Food poisoning When my emet started. I nearly died.
    16: Food poisoning again!
    18: VIOLENT medication reaction after tonsilectomy... very very painful

And 18 was the last time... that was in January of 2009. I am almost 21 now. Hope it never happens again!

Bangkok, Thailand (formerly lived in Los Angeles)

during my childhood years, i did v* a lot b/c of side effects of the asthma medication i took when i was 5, then it started to subsided (that's when my emet started).. then when i had the flu at the age of 10.. then after that when i had food poisoning when i was in my early 20's but actually didn't v* but i felt like something was about to come out (had this nasty belch) but held it back... now i'm 36 and i feel that my emet started again after it was gone for over 10 years since i'm suffering from stomach problems for about a year now... my weight went down 5 kilos this year and i'm trying to fight the stomach problem, meniere's disease (due to stress) and emet so hard i feel i wanna just die right now... i'm trying very hard to fight it since i'll be getting a new job real soon and i don't want to let it rule my life

for those of you that are suffering, i send my prayers to you that you will all get well real soon xoxo

-jessie

* When I was 6 years old after too many cheeseballs at pre-school.
    * When I was 9 years old after getting a long piece spaghetti stuck in my throat, just once to get it out.

I'm now 25 years old...and I haven't been sick since. I'm terrified of it happening again...

at 3-drank milk with a fever...yuk
    at 4-outside in sun too long
    at 8-sv
    at 10-sv
    at15-28 many times due to alcohol excess( i no longer drink)

it's been 8 years since the last episode. i've even been through sv* from my kids and didn't v*...although i'm not *that* scared of it happening, i DO try to fight off the urge when it comes....

< 3: I think I v* a few times, once from motion sickness, once due to illness maybe? (dunno Mom doesn't remember and neither do I).

possibly 7-8ish: I vaguely remember throwing up a tiny amount after feeling sick watching cartoons. Mom says it didn't happen and it's a dream.

12: Came very very very VERY close to vomiting (it was in my throat) when a sv* went through my house.

21-22: Threw up from drinking a few times (no or very very foggy memory of it).

I have had a lot of episodes of dry heaves. But I guess doug would say that doesn't count, although I think it's just as terrifying.

^ Amarkham, you're right, I don't think dry heaves count as vomiting. However, I've never experienced them, and if I ever did, maybe I would reconsider my opinion on that point. I'm aware that some studies have used the more inclusive "emetic event" instead of the more restrictive "vomiting" in order to cover more of what people really do. Some studies have decided that:
    1 emetic event = 1 vomit
    1 emetic event = 1 vomit with dry heaving
    1 emetic event = 1 minute of dry heaving without vomiting
    etc.

SO I suppose if we went that route you could say that your dry heaving was an emetic event, but it wasn't vomiting.

And if you're really uptight about having vomited, you could say you had an emetic event instead.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50-60, but it feels more like 10, 000!

only tim i remember v* i was 7...woke up after falling asleep in the corner (punishment) v* three times...
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

Age: 2 I don't really remember why but I was told that I did in the car.
    Age: 3 When I was sick with an ear infection and strep, I was praying on the side of my bed and I started to get sick.
    Age 3: On my dad in the waiting room for the doctor
    Age: 4 Pre-school, eating too much candy Halloween party
    Age: 4 On my babysitter as she was carrying me up the stairs

Other than that I can't really remember.

I can't remember every time (I was sick a lot as a toddler) but I'll try to remember...

Aged 2 - Nasty stomach virus while my mother was in labor with my sister.
    Aged 4-5 - I'd say at least 2 stomach viruses. Also, I had an extreme ear infection, and when my mother forced me to eat a sandwich, I v-ed once.
    Aged 10 - I caught a bug from my dad, and v-ed once; but I had nausea for at least six days.

Once or twice during my teens I had episodes were I very nearly v-ed, but I somehow prevented it from happening (or I just didn't need to be sick).
    A couple of weeks ago I woke from a deep sleep, and dry heaved twice.

I've gotten a virus 3 times, but I v-ed many, many times each virus. I get an extreme case of sickness every time I get a stomach virus!

But I only remember from the time I was 8 or so, so there could've been more.

I forgot... I once got sick at some sort of event when I was probably 4-5. I was eating french fries, then I vaguely remember running late for something, and I v-ed once while my mom was running ahead trying to get wherever we needed to be. I never even told her I had been sick, and it only happened once.

Age 4: Woke up in the middle of the night V* probably 3 times
    Age 5: Was drinking milk and watching tv with my brother, V* up milk, dont know why I did. Felt fine after.
    Age 8: Got FP*(was diagnosed as sallomanella) had D* and V* for 3 days.
    Age 10: It was fathers day, ate beans and cake. Started to feel sick at 7pm. V* at 10pm and again at 3 am. Didnt bother me
    Age 11: Got SV* had very violent dry heaves for about 20 minutes. So bad I collasped.
    Age 14: Got SV* dry heaved again for a few minutes. Later passed out from dehydration
    Age 16: Got FP* intense D* for 8 days straight along with dry heaving.What started my emet, had never been so sick in my life, also away from home on vacation.
    Age 17: Caught Noro from nephew, Dry heaved several times, had not ate in 11 hours.

Wow it looks like I get sick alot haha.
    So I have V* a total of 7 times(some from the same sickness)

Oh goodness. I can't remember the total number of times.

I remember a few occasions from when I was little, though. Here goes:

Age 3/4: Had just eaten at Taco Bell. Pulled into the driveway with my older brother and sister and said, "I think I'm gonna throw up... No, I'm not. I'm okay... Yes, I am!" My brother kinda panicked because we were in the car and said, "Well, are you gonna get sick or not?!" I ended up getting sick all over myself and my pregnant sister got me out and cleaned me up. This experience didn't phase me at all. I got sick once more that night.

Age 4 (and 364 days): Night before my 5th birthday. I got up in the middle of the night and got sick once. I went to my parents' room, woke my mom, and said, "I just threw up." Later the next morning, I woke up crying and saying, "Mommy, please let me still go to Chuck E. Cheese for my birthday!" Lol. I wasn't phased by that event either. I believe I had eaten something that didn't agree with me because no one else got sick and I never had diarrhea, never got sick more than the one time, and had no fever.

Age 6: Thanksgiving night. Cherry Cheesecake. Can't eat it anymore. That's all I've got to say (got sick only once).

Age 7: Thanksgiving night. Again. Got sick once that year as well. This was the event that made me begin to FEAR Thanksgiving, but wait... just wait....

Age 8: Thanksgiving night AGAIN! 3 years in a row! Now do you understand my fear of Thanksgiving?! I don't eat all day on Thanksgiving ever since. I got sick twice this time. I wasn't scared to do it. Just officially petrified of the holiday at that point.

Age 8: Right after Valentine's Day. I had eaten homemade vegetable soup. Too much of it. And a ginormous dill pickle on top of it. I felt sick for quite awhile. My next-door-neighbor (she's well into her 90's now) was having her granddaughter stay the night and invited me to come. Even though I didn't feel well, I agreed. I laid in bed for an hour or so at her house. I moved myself to her living room because I thought I'd feel better there. I dozed for a few minutes and jolted awake with a severe wave of nausea. I instantly ran to the bathroom. I was sick and almost didn't make it to the toilet. This is also the ONLY time I've ever been sick anywhere but my house except for alcohol-induced vomiting. I got sick once more in the morning, but I wasn't nauseous. I had "throat nausea," gagged a bit, and threw up a tiny amount.
    After all of this, I vomited about once every year and a half until I was 12. Most of the time just once, no more than twice during one experience. So, that adds up to about 3 times? Maybe once more than that.

From the time I was 12 until I was 16, I didn't vomit at all. My emet was at an OUTSTANDING place at that time as well. I NEVER panicking unless I felt genuinely ill... and even then... I didn't cancel plans or backout if I felt sick. I dealt with it and moved on.

Age 16: Halloween night. I had went about an hour away for date night with my boyfriend at the time. We went to a movie and out to eat at a Japanese restaurant. I'm pretty sure it was the food not settling well with my stomach. We had a lovely time. I started to feel sick at about 9 that night... and at around 10, I dry heaved. About 20 minutes later, I vomited. No more after that.

Age 17: Woke up in the middle of the night at around 3 a.m. and felt instantly sick. Sat up for a few minutes and ended up grabbing the trashcan and got sick. Just once.

Age 19: I was having a jewlery party that night and when the consultant arrived, I excused myself to the restroom. I sat there for a few minutes and started vomiting at 6 p.m. Luckily, I hadn't felt well all day and had chugged almost an entire bottle of Pepto. All I tasted was mint for the next 8 1/2 hours! It was the sickest I'd EVER been. I vomited every 20 minutes from 6 p.m. until 2:30 a.m. Diarrhea the next day with a major headache. No fever. I was so weak the next day, I could hardly hold myself up. I believe this was the only TRUE virus I've ever had. At least, noro. I hear noro is the most violent of all viruses and I can assure you nothing in this WORLD could've stopped me from vomiting with this sickness. Nothing.

Age 20: First vomiting episode from alcohol. 5 margaritas in 45 minutes. My friend's fiance was adding shots of tequila to the premixed margarita mix. I was about 98 pounds at the time... so I don't remember much from that night. Apparently, I knocked a couch over as I sat on it. I broke 2 margarita glasses and attempted to clean up the glass, went to the bathroom to pee and came back out in my undies and bra, and was flopping all over the place. I remember sobering up after I'd been sick a few times. The funny thing was, I didn't panick at all. I found it SO strange that vomiting from alcohol was no where near the same as vomiting when sober. I didn't drink like that for a LONG time, though. It was also my first hangover. Eeek.

Age 21: My friend and I were drinking and I took a shot of something too strong. I wasn't nearly drunk or even tipsy. It was so strong, it gagged me and made me get sick. Didn't panic, though... and felt better afterwards.

Age 21: Alcohol again. I had just quit my job and was in a pretty depressed state. Honestly, I just wanted to get messed up and get rid of the anger/pain I was going through at the time. My friend and I drank an entire bottle of vodka in about an hour and a half. I don't remember much from that night either. This was the final and last time I drank to the point of vomiting. I've now learned my limit and NOT to press past it. Lol

Age 22: So, I hope no one criticizes this, but I decided I was going to try marijuana. Yeah... the room started spinning... I couldn't hold myself up. I felt like I was dying. Dying. I looked at my friend and said (laughing, by the way), "Please don't ever let me do this again. I think I'm gonna throw up. Ew, I don't like this. Please don't ever, ever let me do this again." *Laughing ceases* *Forehead crinkles* "No, seriously... never let me do this again." I ventured into the bathroom a few minutes later and sat there for what seemed like ages. Got sick. Ick. It was quite possibly the worst single experience I've ever had with vomiting. The bad thing was, I got sick, yes. But that 'relieved' feeling you normally get after you get sick if you've been battling nausea for awhile? Yeah, I never felt relieved. And the room was still spinning. Not cool.

Age 22: Had severe abdominal and back pains all day that progressed to get worse and worse. Right before going to the E.R. I was bawling my eyes out in pain... couldn't barely walk. Couldn't talk. Nothing. Worst pain I've ever been in. Got to the hospital and after blood tests, x-rays, ultrasound, and urine specimins, they discovered I had a "severe" kidney infection. I was told the pain has been described as worse than natural childbirth. I was given a pain med and anti-emetic in my I.V. to ease the pain. It eased the pain and I started feeling super-loopy. When we got released, I grabbed a bag just incase because I felt very nauseous. I thought I was going to get sick before I left the hospital. I laid in my parents' van all the way to their house while my husband went home to get clothes and things we needed at my parents' house. As SOON as I got in their door, I walked immediately to my old bedroom and vomited in my bag. Thank goodness I grabbed it. I was carrying it out as Anthony was walking up to the house. It's the closest he's ever come to seeing me be sick... or seeing my "sick."

Age 23: March this year... I woke up, took a drink of Dr. Pepper. Felt sick VERY suddenly. Decided to take a Phenergen to knock it sooner than later. As soon as I swallowed the med, I knew it was coming. I stood up, gagged, dry heaved... ran to the bathroom and got sick. I freaked on here and actually took a positive pregnancy test (one of many). It was over and 15 minutes later, I was chowing down on food. Strangest experience, by far.

I'm not the average emet. I vomit WAY more than "normal." But these are all of the experiences I can remember. Sorry this was so, so long. Lol

EDIT: WOW, this was super-long. Sorry guys. Haha. I tried to count up the total but I can't get an exact amount because I can't remember before the age of 3/4 and I have NO clue how many times I got sick when I was sick with noro, margarita night, or vodka night. :-/ SEVERAL times.
    Last edited by Jen06; 06-20-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:

i would share, just afraid i may jinx myself........

Here's the ones I remember/have been told about:
    Age 10 months: sv that lasted several days and resulted in me refusing to drink and ending up in hospital
    Age 3: felt ill so went with my mum to dad's work rather than take me to nursery. I was sat on my mum's knee and I suddenly felt really perculiar. My mum grabbed a bin and held it up and I v'ed into it. They lay me on a sofa in the back office and I slept, when I woke I cried and my mum came and held the bin for me again.
    Age 4: it was supposed to be my last day at nursery school but I was on the sofa with my head hanging over the bucket so I could be sure not to miss! When I did v, my mum sat me up with my head forward. My nursery teacher stopped by with some things I had left behind.
    Age 4 ish: ate too much and v'ed twice over the side of my bunk bed
    Age 6 ish: on holiday, possibly ate bad food or too much sun. Got in mum's bed- she said I wasn't going to be ill (until I v'ed on the floor). Several (at least 3) bouts of repeated v'ing over the next day.
    Age 10: woke up feeling dreadful, I was supposed to be going out for the day with my mum but I stayed home, had breakfast and then fought off v'ing until the afternoon. I think I felt better after I v'ed and slept for a bit.
    Age 11: bad reaction to medication. V'ed in the evening after my first dose, so didn't have any the next day (school day), tried again at the weekend and v'ed again that evening.
    Age 15: several occasions of v'ing after drinking too much. On one occasion I missed my bus home because I was in an alleyway v'ing. Another time I was at a friend's house and someone was in the only bathroom so I had to use a bowl. My mum picked me up and had to pull over several times on the way home so I could dry heave out the door. Over the next 2 years there were many other occasions where I v'ed in the toilets and carried on drinking after.
    Age 21: caught noro. Was violently and repeatedly ill at least 5 different times.
    Age 22: was smoking outside my front door when I randomly felt ill and ran inside and upstairs and v'ed a small amount.
    Age 23: on holiday in Egypt. Felt extremely ill for several days, fought against v'ing but did on the last day and felt so much better!
    Age 24: became very ill with extreme stomach pain and v'ing every evening. After a week I went into hospital. V'ed once in hospital. Discharged 5 days later with no cause found. 5 days of pain later, I v'ed again and went back into hospital. Given an anti emetic and investigations found possible Crohn's disease.
    Age 25: coming home on a plane, pressure change affected my stomach, resulting in a refluxy v'ing incident in the toilet. Since then I have suffered with reflux and a possible hiatus hernia.
    Later that year: ate too much and felt very ill and refluxy, allowed myself to v in the toilet to get relief.
    I am now aged 26. As you can see, I have a long history of v'ing and 'emetic incidents'. I estimate that I have v'ed on around 100 occasions, given that I remember 30 quite clearly, and I did get drunk and v a lot, and there were probably many other times as a child that I and my parents don't remember. Especially as I am lactose intolerant so v'ed a lot- several times a day- as a baby till they figured it out- it became a routine event.