Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

***********MAYBE GRAPHIC**********
    Ok so like loads of people here, I have a real issue using toilets not at my home but I was really bursting today and I had a test the next lesson so I needed full concentration for that (I'm not the smartest of people). So anyway I summoned up all my courage (Didn't take long, there wasn't a lot tosummon asI'm not the bravest of people either) and went to the toilets next to thelocker roomasthe locks are broken onone of the two cubiclesso nobody reallygoes thereand I thought there was less chance of germs. I don't think I've mentioned it before but I have a pretty big fear of small spaces too, it started as a fear of germs in small spaces and grew. So I was on my way to full blown panic at this point. Anyway I did what I needed to do and once I'd flushed the chain (with my foot, duh) I went to open the door and found that the lock was stuck. I immediately started hyperventilating and closed my eys so that I could try to pretend I was somewhere else. I made an effort to sort out my breathing a bit but I was still panicking. I would have climbed out but it was one of those cubicles as big as the celing and the doorsdon't have gaps on top.Idecided tojust sit down and wait for someone to go to their locker so I could yell and get their attention. So I was saying the alphabet backwards to distract myself, and suddenly I hear these footsteps coming so I was totally relieved.I banged on the door and said "Can you help, I'm stuck" but there wasno answerso I bang again and all I hear is these footsteps running into the stall next to me. I suddenly thought "She's going to v*" and I started hyperventilating again. Then I thought, maybe she's just using the toilet. And then I hear her starting to cough. Panic levels rising again, I started banging really hard on the door to see if I could pen it, but I still couldn't, and this horrible sound is continuing, so Igot one hand and startedpulling the flush on the toilet over and over again, not giving it time to fill up but just doing it often enough so that it was making a constant noise. My other hand was over one ear with my other ear on my shoulder.Then suddenly the door is pulled open by the girl who was v*ing, and I didn't stop to thank her or ask her if she was ok, I just ran like the selfish coward I am. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]She's going to think I'm insane, and a bitch. It was the one of the scariest experiences of my life and people are going to judge me because of it. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Emet really, really sucks. We must have done something sooo bad in a past life.

I would have done the same thing!!!! What a horrible situation for you to be in. I would have freaked out. But you know what? You did get through it!!!! Two of your biggest fears were staring you right in the face and you made it through!!!! Im sorry you had to go through that though. Are you ok now? Dont worry about what this other girl might be thinking about you, you were scared and couldnt help what you did. My actions with my EMET are the one thing that I dont worry about making peole understand. I have just learned to say, this is me and this is how I am, and if people cant accept that and be understanding of it, then that is there problem and I dont need to surround myself with them anyway.

Im glad it over and you got out of there.

I would have panicked too and I don't have claustrophobia! Maybe the girl who opened the door for you sensed you had a rough time being trapped in there, or thought you were late for something and HAD to run!!

I am so sorry that you had to go through that, what a nightmare! I would of been freaking out too! Who cares what she thinks of you, you will probably never see her again anyway. Are you sure that she was v*? Or did she just have a coughing attack? That really doesn't matter now anyways, you got through it and are out of there, so you can calm down now. Just try to push that experience out of your head, and you will be fine.

OMG, my anxiety level is up after reading that, how horrible for you to have to experience it. Try not to worry about what the girl thought of you, I know it's easier said than done, but really, you don't owe her an explanation. I'm glad you got out ok. Poor Hannah! Hugs to you!!!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Thanks so much or your replies, yes I am ok now, but I'm never using the school toilets again. and yes she was definitely v*ing, I jut didn't want to go into big detail about the sound.

The weirdest thing is that she looked totally calm, she didn't look upset or embarassed that I'd heard her or anything. Lucky girl.

Wow! thats so unlikely that both those things happened at the same time! Least its over now though, dont know if thats any comfort whatsoever

Oh my gosh, I am shaking after reading that.. I am so sorry you had to go through it. Just remember, forced bravery is still bravery. You did great. You should be proud of your self for making it through.

--Tink

Hey Hannah! That sounds like a horrible experience!! I would have freaked out too!! I can only imagine how frightening that was for you. But as I read your post I got and idea, maybe you could try to use the experience to better yourself? Like say to yourself, "yes I heard her get sick, but nothing bad happend, I'm still ok, She didn't even seem upset and she was the one getting sick" stuff like that. The only reason that situation seems scary is because we allow it to be scary, If you take the same situation minus the anxiety, it just seems yucky, but not really scary at all.For example imagine that she pooping instead. It would be yucky but not scary at all right?! Does that make sense? Don't get me wrong, I thinkwhat you went through was terribly frightening, but I'm just suggesting that you use the situation to stomp on the emet monster. That's what I've been doing lately, and even though I haven't face a situation as tough as yours,doing this has helped get through some situationsthat Iwould have normally freaked out in. I hope that helps a little bit.

Danielle

Thanks danielle! That's a good idea. I will try that... And I know! The unlikeliness makes it worse!

Wow! What an experience, but you made it through, so that is something to be proud of. I would have freaked out about the girl in the next stall! But still, think of it this way... chances are that this situation will never happen to you again in your entire life, I guess it is kind of like lightning striking twice!

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]I would have for sure freaked out too...oh my gosh...but you did well and I agree to the telling yourself that you are ok now and everything will be ok...that was a bad experience..but I can only imagine myself in that situation...I would have done the same thing...I can see myself plugging my ears...and flying out of there as fast as I could...kind of makes me laugh thinging about it actually...only because I know what I would have been like...the only way for me to get through something like that is to laugh.....sounds weird...but if I didn't laugh...I would be crying...so keep your chin up and try to find some humor somewhere in all this madness...Love Kat

LOL, not to make light of it but reading Kat's post made me think of what I would have done, we dont know our own strength in situations but if it were me I could see myself leaning and pushing so hard on the door to get it to fly open the whole stall walls would probably come falling down. I would not even stop to see if the poor girl next to me was OK.

By the way... Kat how are you feeling? Not to be gross but how is the diareah doing? And how is your anxiety level? I had a very nauseous evening also lasted about 2 hours. Hit me while cooking dinner for the family so I just tried to relax and wait for the stomach to growl and when it did... big sigh of relief, didnt eat anything all night though.

Holy Sh*t!!
    '
    what are the odds of that??? ialways think about stuff like that happening you know..it just figures that when you are stuck in a freaking bathroom once in your life someone comes in to v* my goodness we have to be among the unluckiest of creatures when it comes to trying to avoid things....v* is everywhere!!!
    DO IT TREMBLING IF YOU MUST,
    BUT DO IT!! -unknown

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. -dr wayne dyer

x hannah x, I would have done the same thing! And you are right from the PM it wasn't that bad!

Hi Skinny...I am still having the nasty D...I am so tired of this crap...my tail feels like someone sanded it down with sand paper...it's awful...and i was thinking i was feeling better this am when i got up...but as soon as i ate 3 crackers with some home made chicken salad on them...in the bathroom i went...with the same burning...yellow...awful smelling D...and so the story goes...maybe it will go away soon...thanks for asking about me...it's nice to know people care Kat

Well, sorry to hear you are still feeling lousy, I caught a bug from my daughter last year when I was pregnant. She had the V** bug, but when I got it it was just an awful nausea all night long and the next day i was in bed with fever and chills. But I had no appetite for about 3 days after, so I am assuming you are not hungry but not feeling sick to your stomach? It will pass and I am guessing by tomorrow you will be feeling much better. Just eat lightly to keep up the energy. We are here for you, and when you feel like venting or complaining always come here!!!!