Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What anti-emtics have you had success with?

I've never tried them (except for an anti-nausea prescription when I was pregnant) and didn't even know they existed until recently! So which ones can I buy OTC and which ones do you recommend?

Default Re: What anti-emtics have you had success with?

I had cancer and went through chemotherapy four years ago, so I think I've taken pretty much every anti-emetic out there at one time or another. That's one thing I always like to point out here because I know chemo is something many emets would consider their absolute worst nightmare. (I know it was for me.) Cancer doctors do NOT want their patients to have N&V, so they treat it EXTREMELY aggressively. I would hate for anyone to forgo life saving treatment due to this phobia!!

Anyway, for a prescription anti-emetic, I think Zofran works best for me. I've never gotten a whole lot of relief from OTC anti-emetics, except for motion sickness. For motion sickness, Bonine seems to work best for me. Dramamine works ok, but Bonine seems to work better.

You could ask your doctor for a prescription for something like Zofran to keep around ... although I would not lie to get it. Your doctor might be sympathetic to your being an emet, though. I have problems with my eye related to having had cancer and it sometimes causes migraines that trigger bad nausea ... So, I have a standing prescription from my doctor for Zofran so I always keep some around. I would definitely take it if I was pretty sure I had a stomach virus. But Zofran does cause me constipation so that limits my taking it, which I consider to be a good thing (I don't want to be taking it constantly as a crutch if that makes sense).
    Last edited by runner1998; 04-26-2011 at 10:30 PM.

emetrol saves me every single time. i will be in full panic mode, sip some, and then im starving 10 minutes later.

Motillium, ginger, & pepto bismol are very effective for me, although the last time I vted with a severe hangover in 1997, ginger was no help at all.

Generally, for mild nausea, Pepto Bismol is my go-to medicine. I also sometimes take Chlor-trimeton (an antihistamine), as my mother suggested it might help (she's a doctor): apparently old, 1st-generation drowsy antihistamines can have an anti-emetic effect.

If it's bad, I've tried a whole bunch of things - Zofran, Compazine, Emend, Phenergan. All of them worked, although I'd have to say Zofran is my least favorite because it is so constipating...

One thing to keep in mind is different anti-emetics work differently. For example, the drugs that were designed to treat nausea caused by chemo (Zofran, Emend, Kytril, etc.) work by blocking the receptors in your brain that trigger n&v. (Basically when you get chemo, your body thinks it has been poisoned, which is why your brain tells you to v* and get rid of it.) But these drugs aren't very effective if you have motion sickness or if you have n* due to being anxious because they don't treat that specific kind of nausea.

Of the OTC remedies for stomach upset, I have found ginger works really well. I have also had good luck with Preggie Pops, actually. You can buy them at places like Babys R Us.

Phenergan and domperidone (also known as motillium) usually do the trick depending on the severity or cause of the n*. Sometimes the minimum dose works ok other times even the maximum dose doesnt stop the n* completely.

For anyone in Canada or if you're ever in Canada, I love Ginger Gravol. It's organic Ginger basically, non drowsy, you simply chew it. There's a pill kind where you swallow but I like the chew one. It helps so much better than all the medicated stuff, for me at least. I love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

I have found Zofran to give me the most effective relief. I used to find a quick relief with dimenhydrinate 100mg (I think it's called dramamine), but the last couple of times of trying them I've become so tired and drowsy that I prefer not to use them anymore.

Even though anti-emetics can be helpful, I think it's important not to get dependent on them. I used to be dependent on Zofran, I took several of them everyday for about a year, then I switched to another anti-emetic and then another one. I have been dependent on different anti-emetics for years. Nowadays I'm very cautious about using them, I have them around but only use them very rarely because being dependent on them is no way to get any better from this phobia.