Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default would you rather be a "normal" person?

I`ve sometimes wondered what it would be like to be like other people, not have issues with vting or anything else. I know that being emet isn`t great, but I honestly would`nt swap places with the average person, because it seems to me that emets seem to be a lot more sensitive & imaginative than "normal "people, who only seem concerned with stuff like soap operas, & the X factor on tv, & gossiping about workmates & neighbours. I think that people have become much more shallow & less intelligent in the last few years. I think that I would rather be as I am than like them. What do other members think?

Default Re: would you rather be a "normal" person?

I would rather be me then anyone else. I have a lot of good things in my life at this point. And Everything I have I have worked my ass off for. I think having panic, anxiety and phobias makes me appreitate the little things in life. Allthough at times I hate it, it seems that with out the emet and all that I wouldn't know how to be me.

I think about this a lot. Wonder if i would rather be like other people who are not afraid of V*. But i dont think i would. I feel like if i didnt grow up with this phobia, i wouldnt be who i am today. Not that its made me completely who i am, but a little part of me. I feel more aware and appreciative of things. I wish i didnt have anxiety and panic attacks as much, but its almost the norm to me now, and they dont scare me as much anymore.

Sorry, but I disagree completely. Your point seems to be that the emet is a part of you, threading through every part of your personality, whereas my view of it (or indeed any phobia) is that it's actually a parasite, sucking you dry of happiness and peace of mind and something that I for one would be well rid of.

I think you're also mixing up cause and effect here as well. It's true that a lot of people on this board are empathetic, sensitive individuals, but that's not a "bonus" of being emet! Firstly, there are plenty of caring, sensitive types out there who don't have this phobia (in short, emetophobia isn't essential to be a nice person!), while secondly anxiety is a big part of this and so it seems logical to me that empathetic people are perhaps more sensitive than the average and so are more prone to being hurt by criticism say, feeling worried and anxious and ultimately more prone to developing this phobia. I think to declare that we're all nice and intelligent while the phobia-free lumpen proletariat just addle their brains with soaps is a bit of a sweeping statement!

i would love to be rid of this phobia.........even though my life is really good.....good husband, good job, etc....i also know of tons of things this stupid emet has kept me from doing my whole life....i'm 59 now.......i can't imagine anyone wanting to "keep it"
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i have no problem with who i am, but at the moment i wish i was a normal person, i am nearly 18 dont have half as many friends because i left school early because of my emet and anxiety disorder, i would love to be a normal person, without having the worry of getting sick terrifying and worrying if i will have a cancer re- occurrence, i do tend to get really jealous of people that go through life with no worrys especially of my friends

I had this phobia all my life and when I was growing up when anyone around me got sick I panicked, I know now this to be anxiety however at the time I used to just get more and more scared. I used to say to my sister I was I was her as she didn't seem scared of anything.

Looking back on this now, it pretty much sums up how I still feel. I HATE this phobia, I try and push myself to do things which give me anxiety due to the phobia. I'd love a life free of this phobia, I luckily have an awesome boyfriend who is the first person ice really been able to open up to about it. I like me, I just don't like me the emet!

I don't think we should be thinking about it in a way that could make us think we're not 'normal', because what exactly is normal? If you ask anyone to define what normal actually is I think they'll have a pretty tough time trying to come up with a definition that defines what all 'normal' people are or should be like.

I think having this phobia and letting it take over me the way it has, has actually made me an even more determined/stronger person than i've ever been, in the sense that before I let it get as bad as it has now I wouldn't think about it everyday and think that every meal I had was going to make me sick and actually enjoyed life.. which was all good, but it only took one thing to make it ten times worse and that was leaving school and everything that I knew as the norm. It really did tip me over the edge, HOWEVER, I think to a certain extent this has been good for me and was actually the push I needed to stop masking my problem and get some help and i'm also so glad that it's only really hit me to a harsh degree at the age of 17 and not 27, for example, as I know I have time to get over it and sort my life out before I go back to college and move on with my life.

So to conclude, no, I dont wish I was 'normal' as life is all about experiences, and you learn from them, about life in general and yourself as a person.

Id love to not have this phobia. I envy people who never seem to worry about getting sick. Even on my best days I always dread the day when "it" will happen. It encroaches on almost all aspects of my life and I have missed out on things in the past because Id be scared of increasing my chances of v*. I like who I am and there are plenty of good things in my life but I still wish I wasnt emet.

I would much rather be a normal person because they don't freak out about this all the time and they can just relax and enjoy life without worrying. And if they do get sick it's not a big deal to them...god i just wish i could feel that way!

Having been both, I promise you that not being emetophobic is way better!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

For me, I think at this point being emet is the better option for me. I have a long history of eating disorders and BDD and my emet is the only thing preventing me from sticking my finger down my throat. So I think, viewed objectively it is by far the lesser of two evils for me at this point in my life. This is not the case for everyone. However it would be great if I could just wave a magic wand and be "normal"; but that isn't going to happen.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I would rather be normal, honestly. I'm tired of being terrified and nauseous ALL the time. It's gotten in the way of my functioning, made me quite agoraphobic, and keeps me from doing many things.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog:

Quote Originally Posted by merlowry View Post
    I would much rather be a normal person because they don't freak out about this all the time and they can just relax and enjoy life without worrying. And if they do get sick it's not a big deal to them...god i just wish i could feel that way!
    You said it very well. I agree wholeheartedly. I just want to enjoy my life and not freak out every hour of the day thinking i'm about to get sick and then miss out on life and annoy all the people close to me.
    My YouTube Channel:

My Emet Blog: