Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Sorry I need to vent. I was cooking some yummy chicken fajitias, when suddenly there was a not-so-yummy smell comming from them.[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img] I am so MAD! the chicken was good, the peppers and onions were good, I am assuming the seasonings were good too, because I've never heard of seasonings going bad, so why did it have to smell?! I mean it stinks! It smells like burnt plastic, or rotten...something, I don't know. So now there is a whole big pan of fajitias sitting on the stove and I'm sitting here hungry but I DON'T trust it at all. I asked my fiance tosmell the food, but hethought it smelled fine,I think he ate it too, which is going to make me soooo nervous.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] So now I'm hungry but I really don't want to eat. Sigh, every time I think I'm doing ok, something like this has to happen...

Danielle

Danielle was there something underneath the pan? Maybe that is where you smelled the plastic from? I wascooking ground beef and something smelled, there was some food underneath the burner. If your boyfriend says he doesn't smell plastic and he ate the fajitias the possibility is that they are ok? I wished I lived near you, I would be over for supper!! Haven't had those in a long time!!

I think they are ok.

I do this all of the time. I am thankkful that I have a relativley large bank account to make up for all the money I have wasted pouring perfectly good food down the garbage disposal. I will open something and think that it smells bad and toss it. Sometimes I cook it and then convince myself it is bad and toss it. If my husband gets to it first and eats it I worry. But then I tell myself that if it makes him sick that it is just the food and not something I can catch. Sometimes I cook something and let him eat it and if he doesn't get sick I'll eat the leftovers the next day. Like tonight, I am cooking meatloaf for the fam and I won't eat it until tomorrow just to make sure it is safe. Whatever, this is crazy!

Hi

My cooking often smells dodgy, it can be as simple as a bit of water on the bottom of the pan burning, or something that has spilled directly onto the hob. I often convince myself that something isn't right, just because i believe it will make me ill.

Just remember that if he does get ill, although it will be a tough time, you cannot catch it and you won't be ill.

Nicki

We have a glasstop stove, so there was nothing underneath the pan. I tasted two teeny tiny bites, and I swear I could taste something funny. My fiance did eat it, he says it tasted fine (he also has a cold). He said if he's fine tomorrow, I should eat it. I dunno I'll think about it. This means I'm gonna be worried about him getting sick all night. Sigh, I guess I'm eating peanut butter and crackers for dinner...

Hmmmm, I think it is likely that something was stuck to your pan on the bottom, and it was burning. I have that problem quite a bit!! Alot of times when I cook, something actually smokes and burns on the stove underneath the pan. PEW!

I wouldn't worry about it. I would say go ahead and eat it tomorrow. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Charlotte
    Spring is here!

I cooked a chicken in the oven once and it smelled really plasticy, the smell was so bad to me that I really couldn't eat it. But my boyfriend said he couldn't smell anything, and he ate it and couldn't taste anything and he never got ill. I dunno, maybe chicken just sometimes smells different. It's like corn-fed chicken looks different (it's yellow). Maybe it's to do with that?