Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: motion sickness

Default motion sickness

I`ve often wondered why some people are more prone to motion sickness than others, it seems so unfair that many people never get seasick, while a few can`t even see boats on tv without feeling ill. When I was a kid, I didn`t get sick on trains or cars & buses, but I couldn`t handle sea travel, even on the local ferry. I was wondering if the problem is caused by a faulty balance mechanism, or if the v centre in the brain is not working right in such people. I`ve also wondered why travel sickness improves as people get older, I mean, you hardly ever come across elderly folk who suffer from it.

Default Re: motion sickness

My doctor said about a third of the population is simply prone to motion sickness, though I don't know that the exact mechanism is known. I think the main theory is your eyes and your inner ear/balance mechanism get knocked out of whack, and your body responds by thinking you've been poisioned, which triggers the n&v. Unfortunately, I'm in that third, although I wasn't prone to it until after I went through treatment for cancer. (I am guessing maybe the chemo messed up my inner ear or something.) I use Sea Bands and take Bonine before I travel and don't have any problems. On the train, I notice I feel sick if I sit, but not if I stand, so I always stand.

Strangely, I'm not prone to v* despite being prone to motion sickness.

I have no idea! Knock on wood but it seems like I personally have a stomach of steel, I've been in the worst boating conditions, had my sister get sea sick ON ME, and I was fine. I've been taking long windy road trips since I was a baby, didn't barf then.

I'm not prone to v*ing, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Wish I knew..haha I get motion sickness and have a weak stomach but rarely v*

I always take my drammamine anytime I have to travel if I'm not driving....boats too....but I stay away from the amusement park rides...not taking any chances

I beleive it is a combination of individual "constitution" combined with mind-over-body connection.

I see plenty of time at sea on different size boats. I work on their engines for a living! Some people resist seascikness under all conditions. Others resist it when they are busy / distracted but when idle they feel unwell. Others fall ill whether or not they are distracted. There's very little rhyme or reason to it.

Thankfully, in spite of several "trial by fire" rough boat rides, I have never been seasick. This is a fact I am very happy with and hope to maintain!

From talking to others, I should point out that it is MUCH easier to keep from being seasick, than it is to RECOVER from being seasick once it starts.

Whatever you choose to do for a countermeasure, start it before you are actually sick, or it may not subside until your trip is over.

Happy sailing!!!!

David

I have a stomach of steel, like Kaiilyn. I've been in the worst boating conditions and not gotten sick, I can sit in cars on the worst of winding roads and not feel anything at all, I've even been in a limousine travelling backwards on the windiest road in Australia, and never felt ill. I think I'm pretty lucky!