Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy overactive gag reflex help?

Since my fear of v* started I have developed an overactive gag reflex which means i gag all the time ( it feels like you stick your toothbrush too far back in your mouth) I can barely go to school cause i have the feeling that i am going to v* cause of this reflex problem. It evens happen at home. I can barely watch a movie with a little blood without gagging. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Default Re: overactive gag reflex help?

it might be anxiety. what i would suggest is to make yourself go to school but talk to your friends or do something to take your mind of it, so you wont be 'expecting' it to happen.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Ugh. I hate gagging. I feel so bad for you. I very rarely gag. To me it is allmost as bad as vomiting. Sorry but I have no idea how you can stop it.

This happened to me a lot very early on in my anxiety. I found that having a small mint, like a Tic Tac, in my mouth, helped.

I have this problem right now, but it was really bad when I first expierienced it. Like id do it all day off and on. Horrible. What I did was usually have a drink with me also gum. If you're anything like me, its worse in public because you fear it more. So carry gum. Minty gum. Um. It would just be a reaction to very high stress levels, anxiety, reflux, and drainage. Its hard to control but I noticed it will kinda fade with time. Or when your stress goes down. As for the blood gore ect I'm the same way its very common. Like menstrual blood makes me gag real bad. But the stress fuels it.
    This too, shall pass

I saw an episode of CSI some months ago, & one of the detectives had to deal with something really gross. She dealt with it by putting a wide grin on her face, & she told her partner that it suppresses the gag reflex. I don`t know if this is true, but I might try it if I ever feel like gagging.