Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Red face Do I have emetophobia? Please help, I'm going back to school in 5 days.. :(

I really don't know if i have emetophobia or agoraphobia (fear of crowded wide-open spaces and fear of being sick/having a panic attack in front of others and in a place where I can't easily escape) or a mix of both.

After two years of not going to school, I am going back in a few days from now (May 25) and it's making me nervous. I don't want to end up dropping out again because of giving up and not wanting to face this phobia of mine.

To be honest, I haven't vomited in more than 10 years I think. Last time I vomited was in 2001 when I had severe UTI. When I'm in a classroom, I have to sit at the back or near the exit to help me feel better. But when I feel a panic attack coming along, rapid heartbeat/dizziness/nausea I try to calm down and hold it in for as long as I can, and the only point when I leave is when I think I'm about to vomit. I feel better within a few minutes outside the room usually and if I get fresh air. What I hate about vomiting is the feeling that I can't breathe, choking, and how it's constantly coming out of my throat and I don't know when it will stop. I also dread the embarassment of vomiting in front of others. I don't necessarily have a fear of reading about it or seeing someone else throw up in a movie or in real life, it makes me feel a little sick, but it's manageable.

I also have a fear of hair salons? I hate it when they put the cover and tie it around my neck. I don't know why, it just makes me anxious. The feeling of being choked -> hard to swallow -> hard to breathe = nausea
    so everytime I get a haircut, I have to go with someone and I have to tell them that I don't want any cover or anything around my neck.

I also dread flying or getting sick on a plane. When I am on a plane, I try to do everything I possibly can to not throw up. I take anti-nausea tabs before the flight, try to eat healthy the day before, and when I do feel sick in the plane, I try to get rid of the feeling by drinking water, more nausea tablets, sucking on a lemon, eating a mint, going to the toilet, whatever I can to stop it!

I also hate being down with the flu especially when there's phlegm involved. It just gives you that sick feeling, and you can taste it in your throat. I also don't like when I can't breathe properly or choke because of the phlegm, and when it doesn't come out or gets stuck when I try to cough it up - that makes me feel like you know what. so I try to chug down as much water as I can to bring it back down.

Please help me. I'm thinking of trying EFT the emotional freedom technique to get rid of this fear. Is there anything else I can try?

Default Re: Do I have emetophobia? Please help, I'm going back to school in 5 days.. :(

I think you'd really need to see a psychologist to get diagnosed.
    "I'm not supposed to be like this, but it's okay" -- The Wrong Child, R.E.M.

Default Re: Do I have emetophobia? Please help, I'm going back to school in 5 days.. :(

It's impossible to conduct a proper diagnosis over the internet, however generally speaking if you're terrified of vomiting then you have emetophobia. It's not a disease, it's just a description of what scares you. Sounds like you have a lot of anxiety issues but don't despair because all anxiety issues are treated in the same way.
    The most tried-and-true (and well-researched) method to treat phobias is Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT). See if you can find someone in your neck of the woods who treats anxiety disorders in general and you should do quite well. There is more info about finding a therapist in the "Information and Research" section of this website.
    Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It sounds like to me that you have Emetophobia, like sage said, if you're terrified of it.. you have Emetophobia.
    I don't think you have Agoraphobia... as you say you're afraid of getting sick while in class, or around other people, which is extremely common. Emetophobia can be feared in many different ways and it's still Emetophobia.
    Some people are terrified of it being talked about, or seeing someone else get sick, while others are only afraid of themselves getting sick, while some other people fear it completely.

Either way, no matter what it is, if it's distrupting your life, seek some help before it gets worse.
    Good luck, x