Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Finally I Know I'm Not Alone!

Hi everybody, I'm new on here.

I feel I have emetophobia and I think I had been battling it since I was under 5 years of age. I'll see what you guys think though. Ever since I can remember, I have had an extreme fear of someone throwing up or me throwing up. I remember just about every time I have witnessed someone getting sick and I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember being at daycare and one of the kids would get sick and I would be absolutely mortified all day long. I would run away and cry and get really scared. It would just ruin my whole day. And it has been that way for so long. I'm always thinking, "what if they get sick?" "where would I go?" "can I get away?". Its like for many many things. I hate to ride on school buses for the fear of someone getting sick. I get anxious in cars unless I'm driving. I don't air travel. I can't even watch my cats puke up hairballs! The sound of someone getting sick makes me cringe. I always have to get away. I feel trapped when someone gets sick around me like I cant get away fast enough. When I was a teenager, I would NOT eat in public for the fear of getting sick.

But like when I witness something like that, I become extremely anxious. I shake tremendously, become nauseous, my stomach tightens and I get dizzy and breath rapidly and my heart races. And I usually get emotional and start crying.

Heres the worse part, I'm getting into the medical field. I'm an EMT-Basic student and today was my first day of clinical in the ER in triage. I heard someone getting sick violently from outside and I immediately panicked and ran over to my coordinators office and would not leave for like 15 minutes. Then I went to my car to take a break and I cried for 45 minutes. My whole break was just sitting and crying and feeling hopeless. I thought what was I getting myself into? I love medical stuff its just the only think that throws me off is someone getting sick! I did okay the rest of the day but the whole time I was afraid of someone coming in again like that.

I can't stand this fear and it makes me feel miserable all day and I lose my appetite and everything! I even fear sleeping because I'm afraid of dreaming about it. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for listening.

Default Re: Finally I Know I'm Not Alone!

Hi. And welcome to the site! I do alot of the things you do. I can't imagine becoming an EMT. I just would not be able to do it. Even though I love medical stuff and can't get enough of all the mystery er shows and stuff like that, I just dont think I could deal with the vomit.

My best friend is pretty much fearless. She is a surgeical tech. She has had her hand in a childs chest and felt the heart beating. She has done all types of gross stuff but the only thing that bothers her is slimy saliva. She can't deal with it. When they pull a breathing tube out she cant look because there may be mucus. But people she works with know she hates it so they cover for her.

I just wanted to let you know that you can do your job and be good at it. Find someone you trust and tell them (if you can) and start from there. People will help you if you need it.

Again, Welcome!!

I agree with Kellybeth tell someone and let them help out. I am 30 years old and since I was 7 I have wanted to be a nurse, but since I have this phobia I never went for it. A few years back I started looking into becoming a nurse and I went to a hospital and was going to do a nursing program and work as a tech at that hospital. I told the director of the program about my fear and he said " we have nurses who can't stand the sight of blood, but they make it through with the help of thier co workers." I still chickened out then, but I have enrolled in a college and I am starting in the fall. You will be great and think of all the people you will be helping!

I am in school to become a nurse and I wonder the same about what am I thinking getting into this job. The specialty nursing I want to do probably wont have much vomiting going on. I just wonder how I'll get through clinical first. You are brave to be an EMT, you have to pretty much be the first call on the scene when things are at it's worse. I'm glad you found this website, it feels great to know you are not alone nor insane. I'd be interested to hear your clinical experiences as you go through them. I wish you luck and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Welcome to IES!
    My Jacob makes life beautiful.