Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: tums

This may seem like a really stupid question, but do Tums help with nausea? [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

they should do! i understood that tums are used to relieve indigestion, heartburn and similar stomach sensations.
    i think they're basically an ant-acid, but they work differently with different people.

oh right ok!! thanks! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with Jazz, they help with the acid in your gut. If you want something for nausea try the pepto bismal liquid or chewables, they work.

I can't stand the smell or taste of them since I drank that stuff like water when I was way young when this phobia began, you can always tell when you have taken too much of the pepto orASA your ears start ringing!!

i overdosed on tums a lonnnnng time ago!! used to eat atleast 10 a day. uggh!!
    -megan
    DO IT TREMBLING IF YOU MUST,
    BUT DO IT!! -unknown

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. -dr wayne dyer

I eat WAY too many tums. I've overdosed on them before- when I had a week long emet attack, I ate a whole bottle of them in 4 days! Luckily, nothing happened to me, and I had no side effects.
    You control your body- it doesn\'t control you
    !

that's like me with Rennies! They used to be my crutch for nausea..until i took so many at a time, that i became immune to them.. my body had developed like a block for them and i got no benefit outta them!
    i think tums are v. similar.

How ironic, I had a Tums question too. I'm pregnant and have terrible heartburn/reflux/indigestion and so I take Pepcid, but I was told at my last dr.s appt. that I need more calcium in my diet, so I was going to take Tums for the calcium--I wonder if the combination of them would be bad!!

I dont know if you can take them both together or not. I ate ALOT of tums with my last pregnancy. I had them in my van, purse, hubbys truck, by the bed, in the den, I had a bottle of them everywhere. My reflux finally got so bad close to the end of my pregnancy that not even the Pepsid worked. Donna, see if you can get your doc to prescribe you something a little better. On a good note though, the relief was instant right after delivery.

Oh, what we moms go through.

I guess Tums are just anti-acid. I don't really use them, but when I was younger, maybe about three or so, I'd sneak into my mom's bathroom every so often and steal one of her fruit flavored tums. Thank goodness I was a three year old with self controll, or else I would have eaten the whole lot! I just thought they were candy...
    -Anna

Well, I've been taking Pepcid and Tums on the same day and I'm not dead yet!

I don't want anyone to freak out, but I was recently looking online at tummy bug information, and remember reading somewhere that people who use antacid are more likely to come down with the bug (along with people who have poor hygeine, people who are stressed, and people who do not eat and sleep well). It had something to do with the stomach acids are actually a source to combat the virus when it gets into our system.

I will try to check my history and see where all I was reading to see if I can find this again in order to post for everyone. I didn't mention this to scare anyone, and like it also stated, there are many factors that contribute to whether or not we will fall sick when exposed to a bug. We are emets, so we are healthy!!!

What I have started doing instead, since I have a crap load of digestive problems (hehe, crap load...) is I take ginger, echinacea and acidophilis and bifidus, and ester-c everyday. (except I only take echinacea every other week). I swear, the ginger and the tummy pro biotics have helped me soooooo much.

Donna, with my sisters first pregnancy she ate Tums like candy, her heartburn was so bad. She is eating the Tums again with this pregnancy to. Doctor said that it was ok. Sometimes she would cry because the heartburn was so intense!

Hey Shiva, I've read that before to. I guesshow it works is if you have a bug in your system, and you take a tums, the tums will get rid of the acid in your stomach and it is more likely that the bug will survive because the acid isn't there to help kill it off. Or something along those lines.