Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default real nausea and anxiety nausea.... help

Hey guys,

I've been having CBT recently and have got a lot lot better with the anxiety and stuff BUT...
    This emetophobia really seems to want to stay! I've been doing exposure, I can now look at pictures, really graphic videos etc and i'm better at coping with the anxiety attacks. But I really am not coping with the idea of actual vomiting and real nausea.

Like I can calm my anxiety down now because the anxiety nausea lessens and so therefore i calm down but when i'm scared that when I feel real nausea i wont be able to get rid of it therefore i wont be able to calm down. Also i've read some of the posts on here and apparantley real nausea is LOADS worse so i'm bound to panic even more! When I have panic attacks i feel so sick to the point where I could gag so surely if I combined that with the real nauseea i just wouldn't be able to cope and i'd end up vomiting from panic and real nausea and it would just be awful.

However Lisa on here who has recovered nearly form emet says that real nausea isn't as bad as anxiety nausea.. I wish i could believe that but on here you all seem to think it's loads worse.

Will I be able to cope with vomiting with bad anxiety as well? Have you all coped with it? Any of you been sick with really bad anxiety and it hasn't been as bad as you thought??

Really need a bit of support here...

Default Re: real nausea and anxiety nausea.... help

Hi Verity...I sometimes STILL cannot tell the difference. In my opinion, real nausea is much worse. Anxiety nausea seems to sort of come and go, depending on how much you focus on it. However, when I was younger and much more anxious, I did get sick a few times from anxiety. So...I still worry even with anxiety because of that. I am much better now and can control the anxiety better too. I think everyone's experiences are different. Take care...

i think everyone is different as well. i think real n* is worse but anxiety n* really takes its toll on me. it goes on forever and plays tricks. i got a virus and ended up v* quite a few times. my anxiety was through the roof but the n* only became extremely bad just before it was gonna happen. I noticed that anxiety makes you feel the same constant bad n* for a long period of time, like you think its gonna happen. But it wont because theres no need to. (thats what i tell myself anyway). If you get a bug the real n* becomes apparent a bit before. Thats what i can remember anyway. In fact i was sitting on he loungde watchin tele, i maybe felt a littl sick and i suddenly retched, and it took me off guard because i wasnt that n* when it happened and didnt expect it. But i do understand what you mean. Im nearly ok with people doing it in front of me and watching it on tele, but its gonna be very hard to get me to do it myself. Just keep working at it lovey. You've done pretty well to get this far.
    Last edited by emmalinda; 05-27-2011 at 04:15 AM.
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

It happened to me once while I was at work! Which makes me anxiety even worse. I like to be home if I am feeling a little ill. But i had work early in the am (waitressing) and my sister had been up all night v* and i could hear her which threw me into a panic. So i went to work and was in a constant state of anxiety, I had to take a few Xanax. I had d* a few times and I could not tell if it was my anxiety that was doing this or a real sv. ANd thats all i could think over and over. Is this real or is it my mind making me feel this way? But i have to say in the 2 minutes before I actually v* my body took over. Like i just out everything down and said I need to go outside and sit down. And thats what I did. A few deep breaths. Still didnt feel right. And before I even knew what I was doing my body had decided to quickly walk me to the bathroom. It's almost like your body goes on autopilot and does what it needs to do, and then you are totally fine. It lasted for less than a minute, and then I was done. And truthfully it was just plain uncomfortable. But that experience taught me that your body knows you better than you think. And whether you consciously realize it or not, which I did not realize at the time, your body knows before your mind does. I hope that helps... I know everyday is a struggle.